Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Out of curiousity, who is NOT buying Indiana Jones?

TopHatCat64
08-02-03, 12:28 AM
Just curious since pretty much every wish list i peruse seems to have indy on it.

RobCA
08-02-03, 12:34 AM
I'm not. I've never seen any of the Indy films, and I've never had a desire to. :)

Rob

Wooderson
08-02-03, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by RobCA
I'm not. I've never seen any of the Indy films, and I've never had a desire to. :)

Rob
LIAR!!!:)

RobCA
08-02-03, 12:37 AM
LOL, it's the truth. I've never seen any of the Star Wars films either. -ptth-

Rob

theneobez
08-02-03, 12:38 AM
I may or may not. I liked Raiders of the Lost Ark, but there are other DVDs I want more. So I'm undecided as of now.

Corvin
08-02-03, 12:52 AM
I'd like to, but I'm going to be broke come fall semester. Maybe a bit on down the road, though.

Brain Stew
08-02-03, 01:15 AM
I've only ever seen Last Crusade on TV. I will get the movies on DVD.

thecrazydude
08-02-03, 01:20 AM
I like them, but probably not. Not sure I want to spend the money.

MasterofDVD
08-02-03, 01:21 AM
With BTTF out, even with the goofs, and Indy coming out I don't really care when we see the orginal Star Wars films.

Ordered my Indy DVDs the other night. I was going to wait and see what the B&M price was but I had a coupon and GC. I looked forward to seeing how cleaned up they are.

paradicelost
08-02-03, 01:31 AM
I didn't plan on it but then my wife saw an ad for them and completely freaked out. I didn't even know she liked them that much.
I do like the Temple of Doom but the others i really didn't care for.

Walter Neff
08-02-03, 01:32 AM
I'll probably end up getting it eventually, but I'm not frothing at the mouth for it like a lot of people here. There's a real good chance I won't bother picking it up the week it comes out, unless there's a real amazing deal at Best Buy or somewhere. As with "Back to the Future," I really like only the first Indy movie and am not thrilled about having to buy the trilogy just to get the first one.

FilmFanSea
08-02-03, 01:40 AM
Zero interest here.

I've never seen any of the films. And Spielberg wouldn't even make my Top 50 Directors list (if I had one). (I only saw E.T. for the first time a few weeks ago--and I was 20 when it came out.)

No hard feelings towards people who are very excited about this release (after all, I'm in the minority, big time). Hope it turns out nicely.

Buck Turgidson
08-02-03, 01:49 AM
Most likely a "No" vote from me, at least for the forseeable future. I only liked the first one, and not even it all that much. Sorry.

Spielberg went into a hole for me with this movie and didn't get out until Schindler's List.

LBPound
08-02-03, 01:52 AM
I won't. They're films that I kind of like, enough to buy for around $6-$9 each through Columbia House. But not as a box set, for whatever the hell the asking price is. No thanks.

Panda Phil
08-02-03, 01:59 AM
I enjoyed the first and third films well enough, but really don't feel any burning desire to see them again. Certainly not as an expensive box set. I gave up buying DVD's 'just to say I own them' at least a year ago.

Avid
08-02-03, 02:24 AM
Unless I find a great deal, I plan to hold off.

I'm going to wait until afer Indy IV to see if they put out another box set, hopefully with the great behind the scenes documentaries made on the first ones.

Brain Stew
08-02-03, 02:30 AM
Well...I guess this thread backfired :lol:

Indiana Conn
08-02-03, 02:49 AM
I'm really excited about this set! Looks like I might be in the minority, though. :-) It evokes memories of that magical summer of 1981 when, after having seen "RAIDERS of the LOST ARK" at the drive-in, I spent countless hours honing my "electrical cord/Bullwhip" skills with the assistance of my younger brother. (Poor guy STILL has a few scars here and there.) Oh well, better him than me. I'll DEFINITELY be getting these DVDs! (Maybe I'll even get an extra set for my brother?....Nah!)

hifi
08-02-03, 02:58 AM
Well there are apparently 3 types of dvd/movie people:

1.) Criterion Snobs who are so anal they cannot take movies like Indiana Jones for what they are and enjoy them. But you can be damn sure if there was a CC version they would buy it.

1a.) As a sub genre we have the people who deal in 'Anamorphic Snobbery' (phrase taken from another dvdtalker), who wouldn't buy there favorite movie if it wasn't in AW.

1b.) I was going to do OAR here, but those people seem to be somewhat normal (for now.)

2.) The DVD count whores, the people who measure the size of there "manhood" by the # of dvds they have. They probably own movies they know they will never watch.

3.) People who like movies in general, and just want to be entertained.

Personally I am a #3. I love watching all kinds of movies, and I would have to say that I was entertained by all 3 Indy films and will be buying the set.

Please take this in jest. Its called a joke. ;)

Teknomaagi
08-02-03, 03:28 AM
I'm not buying the set. Have seen them all but never really liked them that much. Just normal action-adventure films that all..

The Nature Boy
08-02-03, 03:38 AM
Unless I'm bowled over by the first week deals(like something in the $35 range, I"m expecting $45), I"m holding off. I rushed out for Road to Perdition on opening day, and I saw all my local used bins flooded with fine copies for 1/2 the opening retail. After that, I stopped buying week one. I did get BTTF at a going out of business sale, but I've likewise seen that in used bins too, so I figure after Christmas, a lot of people will be purging this one, and hopefully I'll bag one in the $20 range. It might not seem like much, but when your collection is getting bigger, I personally value keeping costs down on the discs I buy.

So to cut through that long wind, I won't be buying week 1 unless it's an offer I can't refuse.

Buck Turgidson
08-02-03, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by hifi

Not really sure where I fit in that set.

Most likely 3, but you almost seem to suggest (and I'm possibly not reading you right, and in any case, I'm not stressing, because I take what you say about it not being too serious to heart), that entry to Cat 3 is contingent upon accepting those films (not a problem for me), but also liking them (a problem.)

I have a mixed collection of different types of stuff, which I (for the most part) like. Even if I don't, I own it for a reason.

If someone gave me the Indy set, I'd keep it. (I would sell other stuff in similar circumstances. The Austin Powers movies, for example...)

basaro
08-02-03, 06:33 AM
I won't go out and buy it unless i can get it for $30 or less. I never pay more than $10 a disc - that's my rule. I will probably put this on my christmas list though. I'm not in a rush to get it(as with everything else, patience gets the best deal), and I've already watched my videos hundreds of times and they're still holding up for now. I prefer the DVDs but I'd rather spend the money that week on something I don't already have in any format at all. These are among my top favorites of all time though, and they will surely be in the collection as soon as the price is right.

Which box set color are you going to buy? The light or the dark? I think I'm leaning toward the lighter color.

darkflounder
08-02-03, 06:50 AM
I'll be getting the Indy Trilogy on opening day.

ugabuga
08-02-03, 07:08 AM
opening day for me i had the tril on LD and paid a LOT more back int he day so 30-35 to me is a bargain

mikewendt
08-02-03, 08:22 AM
I'll be getting it, but only after I read a few reviews saying the coast is clear. I don't feel like going through another Back To The Future mess.

rsortor
08-02-03, 09:25 AM
Not me, even though I was a big fan of RAIDERS. Watched it too many times and burned out on it. The other two movies aren't worth my time again let alone my money.

bigdogkt2003
08-02-03, 10:52 AM
For Sure!

RobCA
08-02-03, 10:57 AM

(snip)

Personally I am a #3. I love watching all kinds of movies, and I would have to say that I was entertained by all 3 Indy films and will be buying the set. Personally, I'd consider myself a #3 as well. We probably just have different ideas about what's entertaining to us. :) Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Rob

Johnny Zhivago
08-02-03, 11:02 AM
:wave:

< Not buying Indy...

tasha99
08-02-03, 11:12 AM
I won't. I'm slowing down on buying and selling much of what I have, so I can't really justify buying something like the Indy movies. I liked them, just not enough to watch over and over.

tasha

TopHatCat64
08-02-03, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by basaro
Which box set color are you going to buy? The light or the dark? I think I'm leaning toward the lighter color.

So many ppl who didn't like indy :(...massively -wink-

Basaro, I'm pretty sure the dark boxset is the widescreen and the lighter set is the fullscreen version, I dont think the colors are interchangeable.

jasonbird
08-02-03, 11:35 AM
I wish that each post had the age of the postee. As for me, my
collection wouldn't be complete without Indy in it. (I was 10
when Raiders premired) I'll be buying this one on opening day
as well.

Jason

TopHatCat64
08-02-03, 11:44 AM
I was born in 1983, 2 years after Raiders came out, 1 year before Temple, and 6 years before Last Crusade.

I pretty much grew up on Indiana Jones, filling notebooks with pictures of him cracking whips and perfecting daring escapes. Along with Jaws there has been no other movie i remember so vividly (and fondly) from my childhood.

audrey
08-02-03, 11:54 AM
I'm gonna pass. I like the movies ok, but not enough to purchase them.

elise
08-02-03, 11:56 AM
I'm not. I haven't seen any of the Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or Back to the Future movies, nor do I have any interest to. I'm glad for other people's sake that it's coming out though.

StarFyre
08-02-03, 12:02 PM
I can't wait for this set and when I saw that one site last night have news update that Indy has been moved up to Oct 21st I freaked. Can't find confirmation so I doubt it's true but if it is...

WOOHOO :)

Sanjay

Caliking
08-02-03, 12:05 PM
they are no where near my favorites but i will be getting this set. my wife loves indy and they are fun to watch...my excuse for another dvd, my wife loves em!

Geoff H
08-02-03, 12:36 PM
I'm not.

(pointing out that the thread title asks "who is NOT buying Indiana Jones", I'd like to clarify that when I say "I'm not" I mean "I'm NOT NOT buying the set!")

:)

danol
08-02-03, 01:03 PM
Subject says it all I like Indiana Jones in the lost ark.

Doughboy
08-02-03, 01:58 PM
No DTS! No sale!

Just kidding. -wink-

I spent around 100 bucks a few years ago for the WS laserdiscs of all 3 Indy flicks, so $35-45 for a 4-disc DVD set is a bargain.

Bacon
08-02-03, 02:51 PM
hahhahhahahhahahha!!!!!!!! Not buying Indy?

yeah right!!!!

I'd give 200 bucks to have the box set RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

cloudnin
08-02-03, 03:12 PM
I've seen each of the films several times and I don't feel the need to see them again for the time being, so I won't be buying the set. I might get it on HD-DVD, but even that's unlikely.

feagfilms
08-02-03, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't take them if you gave them to me..
well, maybe to sell on ebay
Spielberg sucks..

ProjectMayhem
08-02-03, 04:43 PM
I may buy it when it's cheaper...

Not sure though. Depends on if it's a good deal. I never even watched the movies all the way through... :(

Copenhagen
08-02-03, 04:46 PM
I've never been a fan of the movies so more than likely these won't make my collection.

vivarey
08-02-03, 04:52 PM
I can't NOT buy Indy!

Johnny Zhivago
08-02-03, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by jasonbird
I wish that each post had the age of the postee. As for me, my
collection wouldn't be complete without Indy in it. (I was 10
when Raiders premired) I'll be buying this one on opening day
as well.

Okey dokey... I'm 33.

The Indy films are fairly well made Saturday afternoon serial action adventure films. They're entertaining enough... But, they're not my bag so to speak. I'm not a huge action fan and I don't buy every "cool" DVD that comes down the road... Would I like to see the Indy films on DVD? Sure, out of curiosity, but only once. These movies hold no replay value for me. And, I'm no fan of Spielberg at all... He's made one great film, Jaws, and that was a lifetime ago.

As I grow older, I realize more and more that the films of my youth (see Star Wars) are nothing more than mildly entertaining diversions. This is not to say that I don't still have fond spots in my heart for some films from my youth... The big blockbusters, however, are rarely among them. :shrug: < smiley please. They just haven't aged well with me and my taste in films is a little more off the beaten path than it was as a young lad.

To each their own and I hope this is a great set for the Indy lovers out there but I have other things that interest me...

RobCA
08-02-03, 05:02 PM
I wish that each post had the age of the postee. I'm one of the ones who won't be buying this, and I'm 34. :)

Rob

BigPete
08-02-03, 05:13 PM
24 - and it will be mine. No waiting required.

lostatmidnight
08-02-03, 05:23 PM
no...saw them when I was a kid...and that's all I needed.

digitalfreaknyc
08-02-03, 05:46 PM
I wish that each post had the age of the postee.

25 and I will be waiting at my local store (that breaks street date) until their shipment comes in.

scarredgod
08-02-03, 06:08 PM
im 31 and i have zero interest in this.

Truffaut Fan
08-02-03, 06:27 PM
3 types of DVD people:

You forgot about the people who only buy films from Spielberg, Lucas, Disney, and Michael Bay. The people who go nuts over Charlie's Angels but have never seen anything by Kieslowski. The people who think Star Wars is everything but don't even know who the hell Fellini is. The people who actually think Jurassic Park is a good film.

Personally, I don't hate the Indy Trilogy, but I find the Three Colours trilogy far more entertaining. I don't even hate Spielberg for that matter, but I'm probably one of the few people that think A.I. is easily his best film.

1.) Criterion Snobs who are so anal they cannot take movies like Indiana Jones for what they are and enjoy them. But you can be damn sure if there was a CC version they would buy it.

I don't give a rat's ass about a Criterion edition of Indy. I buy films based on whether I want the film, not if they have a number on the spine. I own numerous Criterions, but I wouldn't dream of buying the Criterion Armageddon or The Rock.

Jeff

TopHatCat64
08-02-03, 07:11 PM
Ok this is starting to get a little nasty here...but then again I guess I was asking for it when i started this thread.

PJsig08
08-02-03, 07:16 PM
I'm not that into this series...too expensive also. Rather spend the money on 3 movies, instead of this set.

DemonDan
08-02-03, 07:43 PM
As far as I'm concerned, they are a must-have for my collection.

Barings
08-02-03, 08:45 PM
I would considering buying it except for the following:

1. It will be an incomplete set (now that's there's going to be an Indy IV) and I hate incomplete sets.
2. Price unless it's under $30 since a re-purchase would likely be in the future due to reason #1
3. It's probably going to get a lot of air time on some cable networks (USA. TNN, Sci-Fi?). I'll probably get burned out watching the films on TV and take a pass (much like The Godfather trilogy a few years ago)
4. There are other DVDs that I would much rather buy. Being a TV junkie, shows like Alias and Seasons Two of Shield and 24 are much higher on my want list.

I think I was 9 when Raiders first came out, but saw it for the first time on video.

jarryjayo
08-02-03, 09:57 PM
everyone wants just the lost ark, lucas makes me sick that he would release it like the star wars movies thinking that we will want all 3 or 6 movies. sad no DTS, but none of lucas movies have it, in case anyone ever noticed it. could this be because Lucas film owns THX and they have a deal with Dolby. I don't expect to see Star Wars box set in DTS ether.

pro-bassoonist
08-02-03, 10:00 PM
early 30s.....Will be waiting at midnight to get the set!!

Easily the most anticipated trilogy in my collection!!!!!

Easy
08-02-03, 10:03 PM
No sale here. Loved Raiders but hated the others.

jarryjayo
08-02-03, 10:21 PM
I remember as a kid lining up around the block out side in the cold edmonton canada weather. no siting inside for me, you couldn't tell you had a ticket and tickets didn't go on sale tell the movie's show time and a theatre only had two screens to show movies on, we did that more then once. I guess you could say I didn't like Raiders, I love it.

I think at that age I needed my dad to get me and my sister in. but it was well worth it. I was about 12 at the time and raiders was to me one of the best movies next to star wars.

any of you who have never ever seen Raiders in a theatre, wow you are missing out, this is a made for theatre movie. I wish they would have done a bigger re-release in theatres the way this movie was made to be seen. it is the type of movie that gives new meaning to the word action movie and it's just a fun movie to see. a great family movie I would say, so even if you don't plan on buying it plan on renting it at a local video store and make sure you have a nice size Tv to watch this on because I would question the sanity of anyone who would say this isn't the greatist action adventure movie of all time.

I am not talking about the Indy and the tempo of doom or the last whatever. I am talking Raiders of the lost ark, one of the best movies ever made...

Ya I am upset that they would not just release it on dvd as single discs but lets face it it's a business and poor paramont is in trouble, the last star trek movie didn't do too good and no one has any new ideas for films. can you not blame them for making you buy all three of there movies. hahaha

ctyankee
08-02-03, 10:35 PM
Certainly Raiders is following in the marketing footsteps of The Godfather Trilogy. Not a bad plan of action when many (at least) like two of the three films. As someone mentioned, since they are doing a fourth, a incomplete boxset loses some appeal.

I personally don't really care about boxset or complete sets so it my purchase will be based on pricepoint and reviews/word-of-mouth.

Like many, I do think that the opening segment of Raiders was a great movie moment. When that boulder starts moving ....

billy9215
08-02-03, 10:47 PM
Only want the first two, so will wait for a bargain patiently somewhere.......

Rizor
08-02-03, 10:52 PM
I will most definately be purchasing the trilogy when it comes out. Raiders of the Lost Ark is easily a masterpiece. It's one of the few films that I could probably watch all day and still get a rush out of it on that last viewing before I go to bed. The sequels aren't as good, but they're still highly enjoyable films in their own right.

I love these films and I'd be willing to buy them in a barebones set just to see Raiders and Doom in widescreen!

Calculon
08-02-03, 11:45 PM
Passing on the box$et, unless it makes sense to buy it to fulfill a CH membership. Otherwise I might pick up pre-owned RotLA if I see a good deal on it.

mcarver
08-02-03, 11:53 PM
I truly enjoyed the original when it came out, the next 2 went down an ever sinking hole (in my opionion). Even the first doesn't hold the magic for me anymore. It was great for it's time, but doesn't hold up to time (maybe my tastes in movies has matured over the years -- or heaven forbid, I may be turning into a Criterion Snob <G>). I guess this means I will pass...

mcarver
08-02-03, 11:58 PM
I would have to give this nod to Empire of the Sun (only about 2 scenes where tainted with the patented Spielberg-ness touch.

Originally posted by Truffaut Fan
...but I'm probably one of the few people that think A.I. is easily his best film.

Buck Turgidson
08-03-03, 01:36 AM
I wish that each post had the age of the postee.

36, and I'm still not going for this. I'm close in age to RobCa and Johnny Zhivago (who gets his screenname from the best film ever made. I salute you, sir :wave: ), and we all seem to be on the same page.

It seems (in general) like the younger you are, the more enthusiasm you have for this set. You whippersnappers might be giving us more credit in a few years.

Or maybe not...

digitalfreaknyc
08-03-03, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson

It seems (in general) like the younger you are, the more enthusiasm you have for this set. You whippersnappers might be giving us more credit in a few years.

Or maybe not...

My dad is 60 and he is excited about this. We'll probably all sit down and watch it together.

The Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies are perfect examples of why I am passionate about movies and LOVE (not like) them.

Perfect escapist entertainment.

Avid
08-03-03, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by jarryjayo
everyone wants just the lost ark, lucas makes me sick that he would release it like the star wars movies thinking that we will want all 3 or 6 movies.

I read that Lucas and Spielberg wanted the movies released individually but Paramount opted for the box set. For the prequels Lucas is releasing them individually so possibly OT will be as well. We don't know yet.

I understand how the people that only want to buy one film feel. I am still waiting for Back to the Future to come out on its own so I can pick that up and not be saddled with 2 & 3. I can't wait to find out if the Alien movies will be released on their own, I only want Aliens.

As for me, as I mentioned in my first post, if Indy IV was not on the horizon I would pick this set up. I remember watching Raiders as a kid in a packed theater with people SCREAMING at the top of their lungs, even after the film had shown for months.

I'm in my mid-thirties and at some point I will own Indy.

DVD Polizei
08-03-03, 10:05 AM
I'm not buying it just yet. I'll get it when there is a good deal at CH. I just don't jump at whatever comes out anymore. I take my time, and by the time I do buy anything, a newer version is usually out anyway.

El-Kabong
08-03-03, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Avid
As for me, as I mentioned in my first post, if Indy IV was not on the horizon I would pick this set up.

Heres the thing that I dont get. Here's all these people saying that they'll hold off for the complete boxed set. Thats fine but for one thing - the 4th movie being on disc is at LEAST 3 years away, minimum. It seems kind of silly to put off a movie for that length of time for a boxed set we dont even know is coming.

Buy 'em now, enjoy them for two years and e-bay 'em later.

(Same thing applys to the "I only want raiders. All other Indy movies suck. Fine - get Raiders, enjoy the goodness that is the 4th disc and dump the other two in auction. Even if you only get 10 bucks a piece for them, that means that Raiders cost you 20. Ooooooh! That'll really break the bank.)

young
08-03-03, 10:56 AM
nah, not me either... 34. i'm w/ the others around my age. i really enjoyed raiders of the lost ark, but not the other 2 as much.

as mentioned, i've also gotten more selective w/ movies as i've grown older. movies that i'm sure i would have enjoyed in college, i find to be just pure drivel (bad boys 2, old school, terminator 3, star wars starting w/ return of the jedi...). and i don't mean this to be snobbish. i really like the Rock, american pie 1, matrix, pirates of the carribean...

on the other hand, if the boxset is $10, i'll pick it up.

Groucho
08-03-03, 11:14 AM
I would love to hear from people who hated Raiders of the Lost Ark on why, exactly, they think it's such a bad movie.

mcarver
08-03-03, 11:54 AM
If we start going down this branch... the thread should be moved...

I don't hate it, but I find it too "forced" and "formulaic". Something both Lucas and Speilberg are very good at (but not necessarily artistic). Raiders (and Star Wars for that matter), are films based on all of the things that worked in films of the 40's-50's dressed up in 80's cinema cutting-edge technology. Great entertainment, but not necessarily somthing I long to re-watch.

Originally posted by Groucho
I would love to hear from people who hated Raiders of the Lost Ark on why, exactly, they think it's such a bad movie.

Avid
08-03-03, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Heres the thing that I dont get. Here's all these people saying that they'll hold off for the complete boxed set. Thats fine but for one thing - the 4th movie being on disc is at LEAST 3 years away, minimum. It seems kind of silly to put off a movie for that length of time for a boxed set we dont even know is coming.

Buy 'em now, enjoy them for two years and e-bay 'em later.

That makes perfect since for people that watch their DVDs over and over, but that person isn't me. I've been buying for 2 1/2 years and so far I have watched a total of two DVDs for a second time. By the time Indy IV comes out, I probably would not have watched the set again.

If I find them for a great price I'll get them when they come out, but if not I can wait.

UncleCaveman
08-03-03, 05:38 PM
I don't know.... I won't rush out a buy it right away. I just wanna wait for some reviews. After seeing the messed up back to the future trilogy, i'm quite scepticle on buying these sort of sets. I really really hope that the Alien quadrilogy doesnt get messed up some how.......

packaok
08-03-03, 08:18 PM
I'm 30 and I am taking a vacation day from work on November 4th. If a certain store puts them on sale at midnight, I will be there.

Bottom line is, when I got my first DVD player back in 1998, my dream collection included:

Star Wars Trilogy
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Back to the Future Trilogy
Ghostbusters 1&2
Superman 1&2
Romancing the Stone & Jewel of the Nile
Jaws
Jurassic Park Films

As you can see, 5 years later, I'm almost there! :)

MasterCXtreme
08-03-03, 08:33 PM
I'm suprised so many people aren't planning on getting this. I figured it would be the DVD to own this year, along with LOTR. ...I'll be getting it by the way.

danwiz
08-03-03, 08:46 PM
55 years old and have had it pre-ordered since the first day they started accepting pre-orders. It will be SO NICE to be able to give away my VHS box set to the neighbor, who still has not come into the DVD world, even though I offered my old DVD player to him FOR FREE! Yeah, that's right - I upgraded to a Progressive Scan player after I got my progressive Widescreen TV and he didn't even want the old one! Some people are weird!

JimRochester
08-03-03, 08:59 PM
Christmas list

mwj
08-03-03, 10:41 PM
I love Raiders of the Lost Ark and I like the other two. I will be buying it.

immortal_zeus
08-04-03, 04:37 AM
I'm probably not going to buy the trilogy. I've never seen any of the movies. It probably doesn't help that I think Harrison Ford is a prick in real life (of course I've only come about this revelation in the past few years). I do like some of Harrison Ford's movies, though. In addition to the Indiana Jones trilogy, I've never seen any of his Jack Ryan movies. That doesn't really have anything to do about my personal feelings towards him, but there you go....

I'm also wondering that since I never saw them as a kid, if the movies will stand the test of time. I gather that if I had seen them when I was younger, I might be willing to buy them. However, since I will be seeing the movies as an adult, I wonder if they will seem dated and ridiculous.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

Mr. Cinema
08-04-03, 10:27 AM
I would love for threads like this to go away completely. Who cares who is going to buy this or that. Does it matter what a few hundred strangers on dvd talk are going to buy or not buy? nooooooooo........

TopHatCat64
08-04-03, 10:34 AM
:rolleyes:

As always...

If you don't care, don't post. (ie threadcrap)

Secondly, 5 pages of posts says people here DO care.

dhm
08-04-03, 12:06 PM
I really want to get it, but i am going to wait until they get off thier arses and make a fourth one.

chanster
08-04-03, 12:11 PM
Well, this is a dumb thread, but I'll respond to it.

I just love it when people rag on Steven Spielberg and George Lucas - mostly because they are probably 2 of the most successful directors out there.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is pretty much a classic in every sense of the word, I don't care if Olver Stone or M. Night Shimayalan had made the movie. And for the Spielberg haters out there, you shouldn't care either. Talk about a closed mind.

Its just fun to read people saying its a kids movie. Yeah, sure I watched it as a kid, but kids didn't make it one of the most successful movies of all time. In fact, there are scenes in the movie that are probably way too overbearing for kids. Its not a kids movie and 1000 x better than any of the action movies that have come out this summer...if you enjoy action movies...

But to each his/her own//

You really can't threadcap these threads because in essence they are asking for people to crap on each other's taste in movies.

TopHatCat64
08-04-03, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by chanster
You really can't threadcap these threads because in essence they are asking for people to crap on each other's taste in movies.

Actually you can, what you just described is why they wouldn't/would buy it and therefore having to do with the thread.

The other poster was simply denouncing these types of threads in general and therefore threadcrapping.

vedderstapp
08-04-03, 12:56 PM
Well, I for one am not buying it. While it IS a huge release, the films themselves have never really done it for me, and while its tempting to revisit them, and see if I am wrong, truthfully, there is a lot more that I want...

MBoyd
08-04-03, 02:34 PM
Im going back and forth on buying this one. I love the movies and had the WS LDs for years. It almost feels like too little too late. When I was getting into DVD in the summer of 1999, the VHS Indys were being released again. That REALLy pissed me and many others off.

I've been buying a lot of classic films lately. 1.37:1 OAR. I've been thinking of waiting on Indy, Alien Quad, and BTTF (although the misframing was a big a factor) for HD DVD, whenever that happens.

Toad
08-04-03, 02:43 PM
I'll be picking it up on release day - and thankfully it looks like the release has been moved up 2 weeks, so that's even better!

I can appreciate people not liking particular movies/music, etc., but I think some people won't buy certain movies/music because they think it's somehow rebellious. That's funny. :)

Steve Phillips
08-04-03, 03:07 PM
I think they are good movies, but I have no desire to own copies. I've seen them a couple of times each, and if I ever want to see them again, I'll rent them.

chowster45
08-04-03, 04:10 PM
I'm 30, Raiders is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I will NOT be buying.

I just really didn't care for the second two films.

If Raiders was released individually then I would be the first in line!

Hope to buy used at some point.

mlemmond
08-04-03, 04:29 PM
I'm 29 and I will be buying my copy at the stroke of midnight and taking the next day off of work. I love the Indiana Jones movies more than any other trilogy, for me this is the dvd holy grail.

sn9ke_eyes
08-04-03, 04:33 PM
I'm 24

I liked Raiders.
Temple of Doom was ok.
I loved the Last Crusade.

It's a must have set for me.

slop101
08-04-03, 06:07 PM
31 - getting it

LOVED Raiders

liked LC

but Temple of Doom really is my favorite Indy film.

Bricks II
08-04-03, 06:08 PM
I'll probably ask for them as a Xmas gift, because I have a hard time buying expensive boxsets around the holidays, especially because I can have someone else buy them for me. ;) The exception is the Alien Quadrilogy, I will have that at midnight. :D

As far as my enthusiasm for the movies, I like them, but don't love them. Of the 3 Holy Trilogies, it is 3rd for me. I liked Raiders best, LC second, and ToD a rather distant third.

Oh, I'm a poor 18. :)

The Antipodean
08-04-03, 08:01 PM
I'm getting it (hopefully for my birthday in early November). Far more of a must-have for me than the BTTF box set was (I enjoyed those movies, but no desire to own them).

jekbrown
08-04-03, 09:10 PM
Indy isnt even close to a "kids movie"... it may appeal to the "little boy" in a guy (sense of adventure, the masculine lead character etc), but that doesnt mean its a "kids movie". The Lion King or Spy Kids is a kids movie.... Indy aint.

j

killbot
08-04-03, 09:59 PM
Does anyone know for sure what if any digital alterations are being done here? I think I read that they were taking out the reflection in the snake scene, but what about the firing piston thingy on the bottom of the truck? What about marion's snowballs? And will the on-screen title read "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark?"

jasonnaper
08-04-03, 10:40 PM
quote: (LOL, it's the truth. I've never seen any of the Star Wars films either.

Rob)

You must be one of those girly boys who like chick flicks...???
Didnt see Star Wars? or Indy? Man on man???

RobCA
08-04-03, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by jasonnaper
quote: (LOL, it's the truth. I've never seen any of the Star Wars films either.

Rob)

You must be one of those girly boys who like chick flicks...???
Didnt see Star Wars? or Indy? Man on man??? Nope, never saw Star Wars or Indy, but 'man on man' films, I've seen. ;)

Rob

wendersfan
08-05-03, 08:36 AM

1a.) As a sub genre we have the people who deal in 'Anamorphic Snobbery' (phrase taken from another dvdtalker), who wouldn't buy there favorite movie if it wasn't in AW.

1b.) I was going to do OAR here, but those people seem to be somewhat normal (for now.)

2.) The DVD count whores, the people who measure the size of there "manhood" by the # of dvds they have. They probably own movies they know they will never watch.

Condescend much?

I'm 40, and I won't be buying the set. I liked the first one fine, but didn't like the second one at all, and only liked the third one for Connery.

Your classification of people who seem to not like the movies you like as "Criterion snobs" is pathetic. Joking or not, the thought crossed your mind, and it merely goes to show what a narrow and shallow mind it truly is.

LiquidSky
08-05-03, 08:41 AM
I don't want the set since I only like the first one. Will they be sold separately?

rennervision
08-05-03, 09:15 AM
34 - I remember paying $45 in 1984 for a copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark on Beta no less. So, I would say these DVDs are one of the reasons why I started collecting movies in the first place! Yes, the DVD set will be mine and my condolences to people unable to enjoy them.

By the way, I've said this before - but when did Temple of Doom become as hated as Episode I: The Phantom Menace? Did I wake up one morning and miss the news report that it was no longer cool to like that movie? I consider Raiders the best, but long live Temple of Doom - a completely original sequel that was not a retread of Raiders like the Last Crusade was by substituting a holy grail for the lost ark and adding Sean Connery in hopes we wouldn't notice all the similarities!

taa455
08-05-03, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Easy
No sale here. Loved Raiders but hated the others.
Not trying to single you out, Easy. I just wanted to comment on your way of thinking in general. This seems to be how alot of posters feel.

I can understand loving Raiders but not enjoying the others as much. I cannot understand loving Raiders and hating the others. I just don't see how you can be on opposite ends of the spectrum (which I consider "love" and "hate" to be) on films that, in many ways, are very similiar.

Now to answer the question, I will definitely buy the set and immensely enjoy owning and watching all three films.

Btw, I am 27. :banana:

LiquidSky
08-05-03, 12:47 PM
I dislike the second one because: 1. that obnoxious child, 2. Kate Capshaw's horrible/irritating performance.

taa455
08-05-03, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by LiquidSky
I dislike the second one because: 1. that obnoxious child, 2. Kate Capshaw's horrible/irritating performance.
Disagree w/ you on #1, Short Round was fantastic in this movie. Kind of agree w/ you on #2. She was irritating. But don't you think her behavior is realistic and to be expected of a woman of her "type" put in that situation? Jones and Short Round were annoyed by her as well, so it wasn't like the movie tried to pass her behavior as normal or pleasing. Nevertheless, she doesn't ruin the whole movie for me.

jekbrown
08-05-03, 02:42 PM
short round was a lot better than most kids who have good sized roles in action movies. I thought he was a good part of the 2nd films humor and he was even okay in the action sequences (like the short-round-tug-o-war in the mine car chase scene).

KCs character was intended to be annoying... what else would you expect from a high maintenence blonde singer thrown into the dirty violent bug/critter-filled backwoods of India?

Its just my opinion, but i was probably more annoyed (at times) by sean connerys character in the 3rd movie.

j

rnb67
08-05-03, 02:56 PM
I like both Raiders and the Last Crusade. I would have preferred to have had the supplements separate for each movie and that each movie be sold separately. As someone who is from India, I dislike Temple of Doom because of the shameful manner in which the Hindu religion was portrayed or depicted in this movie. It is also a senseless deviation from the main theme of the other two movies, i.e., the fight with the Nazis to preserve/protect archaelogical treasures. I will reluctantly buy the box set, but there is one movie that will likely be never viewed. TOD is the only Spielberg movie that I cannot bring myself to even tolerate. I am otherwise a fan of Spielberg.

jekbrown
08-05-03, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by rnb67
As someone who is from India, I dislike Temple of Doom because of the shameful manner in which the Hindu religion was portrayed or depicted in this movie.

i thought the bad guys in ToD were supposed to be some wacky cultists.. not your standard hindus. Im not a comparitive religon guru so I dunno... it was just the impression that I got from the movie. Nothing shameful about having weird/violent sects/cults in one's society... all societys have had them at one point or another. Here in the US we used to burn women at the stake as "witches"... it was insane and the people who did it are terrible, but it doesnt make me ashamed to be from the same country.

just MO,

j

hifi
08-05-03, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by wendersfan
Your classification of people who seem to not like the movies you like as "Criterion snobs" is pathetic. Joking or not, the thought crossed your mind, and it merely goes to show what a narrow and shallow mind it truly is.

First off it was a joke, your the one reading into to. Even if it wasn't meant as a joke, I am not classifying anyone who doesn't like a movie that I don't, and no the thought never crossed my mind, I have probably only seen maybe 20 criterion movies tops, and I would like to see more to be honest, however, it is not my life long goal to collect them all and I do not compare movies on what kind of dvd release they get. I like DVDs for the movies (the entertainment), its just became clear to me that some people on this forum have some messed up values when it comes to what movies actually are.

People need to step back and appreciate dvds/movies for what they are ENTERTAINMENT. Some movies have hidden meaning, some movies are a representation of ones views, sometimes movies don't mean **** and are made for good laughs and good fun. All of the following can stimulate the mind.

For example... Bad Boys II... loved it, best movie this year... why?... great action (very little cg), good actor chemistry, and great comedy exactly what i want in a summer movie. There is no hidden meaning, yes some of the camera slow mo's are laughable, yes some of the action was laughable, however, I was thoroughly entertained and look forward to the dvd (in any form).

Easy
08-05-03, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by taa455
I just don't see how you can be on opposite ends of the spectrum (which I consider "love" and "hate" to be) on films that, in many ways, are very similiar.

Is this a joke?
I loved Jaws but all the sequels were turds.
Loved the Karatae Kid. Sequels? -rolleyes-
Loved Rocky. Two was good. Three was OK. Four and five sucked.
There are hundreds of sequels. Most are similar to the original film. A handful are excellent (Godfather 2 springs to mind) but that is an exception. IMO the vast majority of sequels stink.