Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Which version of Halloween should I get?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to get the original version of Halloween on dvd and am trying to avoid the multiple copies of the same dvd (Dawn Of The Dead 3 copies, Evil Dead 4 or 5 copies, etc). Is the one coming out 8/5/03 really that bad? Which one should I get? I don't mind getting a different region either. I have region 2 + 3 dvds.
Old 08-01-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just get the Special Limited Edition 2 disc set, it stays true to the original.
Old 08-01-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The LE has been OOP forever, good luck.

Buy the single disc THX version DVD + the extended cut DVD and you have the LE, minus the packaging and serial number.

The 25th is getting bashed for the transfer in the thread above this one...
Old 08-01-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get the 25th aniversery version, I haven't yet, but I will probably get bashed to living hell for this, but to my eyes, the colors look better and more realistic in the 25th aniversery version then the thx version
Old 08-01-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you haven't gotten it yet, how would you know?

I came across the L.E. at a flea market once, but the guy only had the case and one disc. This was before I realized that it included the same features from the other releases. Of course, I think he was charging $20 for just the one disc and case, and I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money for something that's incomplete. Oh, well. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up the other 2 discs before either go OOP. I'm not sure what to think of this new set.

K
Old 08-01-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
The LE has been OOP forever, good luck.
But the lemmings have been flooding eBay with copies, because of the new edition (even though the transfer on the LE appears to be superior). You should be able to pick up a used LE pretty cheap.

One actually sold for $12.50 (!) the other day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2299

And others have been going cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41561

Now's definitely the time to pick one of these up... at $20-25, it's an amazing bargain.
Old 08-01-03, 11:33 PM

I'll keep my LE and, if the price is right, pick the new version for the commentary.
Old 08-02-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 2-Disc LE and I'm perfectly happy with it. I'm holding off on the 25th for now. Due to the seriously s*ity reviews.
Old 08-02-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The two-disc LE holograph edition. You get a good transfer and both versions of the film.
Old 08-02-03, 11:10 AM

to my eyes, the colors look better and more realistic in the 25th aniversery version then the thx version
"Realistic" was never the point. Carpenter's and Cundey's color scheme was selected for particular dramatic effect. You're free to buy whatever you want, of course, but -- assuming the DVDFile screenshots are accurate -- this version is not actually Halloween, but rather a derivative version that's been altered by somebody who doesn't know any better.

Look at it this way: Do you want the movie to look the way the director and cinematographer intended it to look, or the way some computer jockey with an ignorance of film history and a fancy color corrector likes it?
Old 08-02-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by HarryLime
"Realistic" was never the point. Carpenter's and Cundey's color scheme was selected for particular dramatic effect. You're free to buy whatever you want, of course, but -- assuming the DVDFile screenshots are accurate -- this version is not actually Halloween, but rather a derivative version that's been altered by somebody who doesn't know any better.

Look at it this way: Do you want the movie to look the way the director and cinematographer intended it to look, or the way some computer jockey with an ignorance of film history and a fancy color corrector likes it?
I couldn't have stated this point any better myself. For a board filled with educated film members who proudly state and pride themselves on staying true to OAR, I can't imagine how this instance would differ in any meaningful way. Are some on this board actually advocated for this technology to make films look so "Realistic" as to differ dramatically from the Director's original intent? If so I find that asinine argument patently absurd. At the end of the day the ONLY thing that should concern us is that the film stays true to its original intent and form. The look and feel concerning the Director's intent should be as assiduously defended as OAR period. DVD technology after all should be held in service to the art and not vice versa. All that being said, I'm hoping this review copy was an error and will wait for additional reviews to appear before I decide to jump on the bandwagon and rip into AB for this.

Last edited by meritocracy; 08-02-03 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-02-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, I wouldn't consiter myself an educated film enthusiast mainly because lots of times I cant see the diferences in transfers that are supposingly better or worse singin in the rain(just the screenshots, I haven't seen the dvd yet), reservoir dogs, ect.
Old 08-02-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Actually, I wouldn't consiter myself an educated film enthusiast mainly because lots of times I cant see the diferences in transfers that are supposingly better or worse singin in the rain(just the screenshots, I haven't seen the dvd yet), reservoir dogs, ect.
It's one thing to state that you can't tell the difference in transfers which are debatably better or worse, and quite another to sit idly by and not react accordingly to the apparently purposeful recolorization of a film that relied so specifically on this look and feel to create a mood and ambiance inherent to the picture itself. This has nothing to do with a transfer being "better" or "worse" and everything to do with the calculated misrepresentation of the film. Purely as an example, imagine if this same incident had occured with a film such as Susperia. Argento without his distinguishing use of color losses much of what makes him so appealing. I fail to see the difference in this case particulary considering Halloween's seminal value in the horror genre.
Old 08-02-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

damn, good point, I can't make a comeback like some of you can
Old 08-03-03, 10:42 AM

Just bought a used copy of 1999 2 disc LE Anchor Bay version from a seller on Amazon.com. I previously bought OOP versions of "Silence of the Lambs" (Criterion) and Woody Allen's "Take the Money and Run" from Amazon and was completely satisfied with condition of discs and cases. I paid $39.50. Most are going for around that price in case anyone's interested. I have better luck buying used discs from Amazon than e-bay (pain). I will also buy the new version out this Tuesday (for commentaries). Being a completist, that will make me very happy.