Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Oh no! Another "switching to satellite" thread!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just moved into a new house and had Cox install new digital cable, internet service, and phone (Ironically, I work for Comcast in Massachusetts, but because I live in Rhode Island, I'm out of the service area and have to pay for my services -- we at least offer HD through cable, Cox doesn't). Anyway, the picture is terrible! The tech even installed a new drop and changed all the fittings, but some channels look like an old color set from the 70's where the fine tuning was "off" (I have a 53" Toshiba HD-ready set).

I've been lurking around the forums online and think that I might like to give DirecTV a go. I currently have 2 Showstopper units in the living room that I upgraded to 120 GB hard drives a couple of months ago, so I could record up to 80 hours of stuff at high quality. (I don't record movies and stuff, just TV, lots of it) They work great and I can't imagine life withouts them, but I have a couple of questions:

(1) If I went to DirecTV and partake of their Tivo unit, can I still use my Showstoppers, effectively giving me 4-show simultaneous recordability (excessive yes, unless there are conflicts and Wednesdays this fall seem likely)? Can I get more than 1 in 1 room?

(2) The Tivo only has a 35-hour capacity (I'm assuming at low quality, 10 at high). Can I upgrade this or is it like a cable box and off limits to "tinkering"? Or do I own it and can do what I want to it?

(3) Should I just get a regular DirecTV receiver and use my Showstoppers with that?

(4) Is "moving" for locals as easy and painless as people make it sound? Can you do the whole process through the website and leave the "human element" out of it after everything is installed? Theoretically, how long after installation do you have to wait to "move"?

(5) Do I need an HD-decoder or will the DirecTivo or regular DirecTV receiver have that capability already? (assuming I get the 3-satellite dish)

And now the big question:

(6) Do you think it's better to wait for the new HD-Tivo to come out before making the switch, because you only get to be a new customer once and they'll probably have a better deal on them for new customers than for existing. The Sunday ticket deal currently running seems pretty good.

I realize that I have just asked a ton of questions, but this is a big decision and TV is probably as important to me as to das (I'm just a lot less vocal about it here in the forum). I appreciate any opinions or advice you can throw my way.
Old 08-01-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1--only if you have two additional receivers, one for each Replay.
You can get more than one in a single room, just needs to be wired.
2--I upgraded mine to 105 hours, no problem
3--given the choice, DirecTiVo all the way. It's 100% digital. DirecTV would be digital, but the Replay would record the signal in analog and convert to digital.
4--moving is easy, but requires a phone call. I moved about a week later. But, locals are available to me now, so I moved back.
5--to get HD, you need an HD receiver.
6--Personally, I would wait for the HD TiVo if you intend to get one. I'm sure the deals will be better for new subscribers.
Old 08-01-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thing: the DirecTiVo records digitally, there is no "high" quality or "low" quality. It records the signal as is, so that 35 hour DirecTiVo IS a 35 hour DirecTiVo.
Old 08-01-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another thing : The DirecTiVo has dual tuners. You can record 2 shows on different channels while you watch a 3rd recorded show ALL AT THE SAME TIME. The TiVo software automatically handles conflict resolution and finds your shows when they move around on the schedule, or run on multiple channels (like Law & Order).

If you watch a lot of TV, upgrade the stock 40 gig drive to 2 120 gig drives for 210+ hours of dual-tuning, timeshifted goodness

Last edited by NC-36; 08-01-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-01-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thing: don't delay in switching to DirecTV. I'm throwing my fullweight behind it over Dishnetwork (which has now proved that it's only mission to make as much money for its CEO as possible).
Old 08-03-03, 08:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by huzefa
Another thing: don't delay in switching to DirecTV. I'm throwing my fullweight behind it over Dishnetwork (which has now proved that it's only mission to make as much money for its CEO as possible).

Just curious- but for what reasons do you make the statement above?
Old 08-03-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brtcmfn
Just curious- but for what reasons do you make the statement above?
It's not an uninformed statement; I've had Dish for 2 years and as much as I liked it to begin, their decisions have done nothing but make me unhappy. First they are going to charge us for the SuperDish after already charging us for the 8PSK module. Now they are instituting monthly fees on their DVRs which don't even have stable software.
Old 08-03-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I'm sorry, the retard thread is over in the other forum. If u have something sensible to say, then say it. Otherwise, you sound like a cable employee.
Don't waste your breath. Soon he will be like a true dictator and his account will be assassinated.
Old 08-04-03, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This guy has only been around for a day and he's crappin' in everything.
Old 08-04-03, 07:10 AM

First of all, thanks for all the responses and insights. As a lifelong cable subscriber, this is all new to me (and I am understandably nervous but excited).

From what you've told me, I think I would be happy if I could get 2 DirecTivo's in the living room because their 35-hour capacity is equivalent to the 2 40-hr high-quality Replay units I have currently (with the exception of being able to record 4 programs simultaneously with the Tivos versus the 2 I can record now with the Replays).

So is it possible to have both DirecTivo's in the same room? Assuming that is is possible, what would be the best deal I could get on 2 DirecTivo units, plus 2 standard receivers (for the bedroom and office)?

Also, for the free install deal with NFL Sunday Ticket, do I just gove them my credit card and they charge me for the first installment ($59.95 or whatever)?

I really appreciate your help. I told my fiancee this morning that I might make the decision today, she has wisely chosen to leave the A/V decisions to me while she concentrates on home decor!
Old 08-04-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

www.expertsatellite.com (use the code myrate) to get 2 Directivos for $99 each. U get free install as well. Plus if u have an HDTV, look into getting the E86 for $399 deal; it's a good price.
Old 08-04-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Prepper
So is it possible to have both DirecTivo's in the same room? Assuming that is is possible, what would be the best deal I could get on 2 DirecTivo units, plus 2 standard receivers (for the bedroom and office)?
It's certainly possible, but to have 6 lines running from the dish (2 per TiVo and one each for standard), you might need some kind of multi-switch.

You can't split a satellite signal like you can with cable.
Old 08-04-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

www.expertsatellite.com (use the code myrate) to get 2 Directivos for $99 each. U get free install as well. Plus if u have an HDTV, look into getting the E86 for $399 deal; it's a good price.
If you only want one directivo, I have an order at expertsatellite as well for the tivo receiver plus 2 receiver only boxes for the same $99 + (plus shipping of $30).

Check out this forum for invaluable tivo info:
www.tivocommunity.com

If you call Expert, and speak to Robert (Zohn, their web guy) and mention you "are a member" at tivo community, you will get a great deal (as well as friendly and good CS).

I see the $99 for one Tivo only deal for 'myrate'. I bet Robert would throw in another receiver (installed) (or the two I am getting) if you mentioned being in the "Tivo Community" for the $99 price.

Also, is everyone with the premier package (not through the current NFL Ticket package) getting the $20 off per month just for asking DirecTV customer service? Thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ighlight=%2420
Old 08-04-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew
It's certainly possible, but to have 6 lines running from the dish (2 per TiVo and one each for standard), you might need some kind of multi-switch.

You can't split a satellite signal like you can with cable.
Right. You would need 4 coax cables dropped in the same room to support the 2 tivo units in the same room, and you can't use a splitter like you would with regular cable tv signal.
Old 08-04-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Right. You would need 4 coax cables dropped in the same room to support the 2 tivo units in the same room, and you can't use a splitter like you would with regular cable tv signal.
It's different for Dish network and Directv. With dishnetwork, all u need is one line from the lnb to a switch and from there you can split it up using more switches. They are powered switches called DP34's.
Old 08-05-03, 11:44 AM

Thanks, Falcon.

I actually did a live chat yesterday with a rep from Orbitsat that went absolutely nowhere. At first it seemed like she never even read what I was typing because she kept asking me stupid questions, and then she just kept throwing stuff at me "off the rack" that I had already noticed around their site. I was looking for her to put the package together that I wanted and give me a price, but to no avail.

I'll have to try Expert when I get home. By the way, did your order for the Tivo and 2 Directors for $99 include the dish w/installation and everything?
Old 08-05-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Prepper
I'll have to try Expert when I get home. By the way, did your order for the Tivo and 2 Directors for $99 include the dish w/installation and everything?
Subtotal: $99.99
Shipping & handling: $19.99
----------
Total before Tax: $119.98
Tax Rate: 0.00% (Outside New York State) $0.00
----------
Purchase Total: $119.98

Products/Systems Ordered:
1 | Philips Digital Video Recorder | Philips Digital Video Recorder Powered by TIVO @ $99.99
2 | Triple LNB 18x20 Dish | New Triple LNB 18x20 Satellite Dish. @ $0.00
3 | G Director Receiver | Hughes G Director Receiver. @ $0.00
4 | G Director Receiver | Hughes G Director Receiver. @ $0.00
5 | Hughes Teleremote | Hughes-Direct TV Integrated 900 mhz Universal phone @$0.00
This 'deal' varies from the standard deal. Remember, get Robert on the phone (he'll call you back if he is busy when you call) and mention you are a "Tivo Community Member, and heard of ValueElectronics from there". Wendy is apparently great as well, but I haven't spoken to her.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 08-05-03 at 01:08 PM.