Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Jell-o and Ben Affleck pay off USAToday?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Sure, movie critic Claudia Puig panned "Gigli". Giving it one star. But turn to page 6E in today's Life Section E (7/1/03), and you'll find the most nauseating article you'll ever read about the dynamic duo. It's called "Why Ben & Jen still sit pretty". If they (or their management) didn't pay for this vanity piece, I don't know what. Here it is:

By Susan Wloszczyna and Ann Oldenburg, USA TODAY

There's no doubt about it: For the celeb-obsessed, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez are to salivate for.
The tabloid nation is so taken by the couple that it is starting to refer to them as a two-headed media monster: Bennifer.

There's also no doubt about this: Their new crime-caper flick, Gigli, opens today to very bad buzz. Glitter bad. Swept Away bad. Nearly Plan Nine From Outer Space bad. A sample reaction, from Roger Friedman of Fox News: "Witless, coarse and vulgar ... A total, mindless disaster ... Stupefying."

Their greatest sin has been said to be the bugaboo that befalls many film romances starring real-life couples: that Ben and Jen, who first met on the set and should be setting off flirty sparks like sexual fireflies, have all the combustible chemistry of a soggy match.

Let's be fair. She plays a lesbian. That's a bit of a barrier for hetero matchmaking. He plays dumb. So dumb he thinks a Tabasco bottle is great reading. And their killers-for-hire devote much time to babysitting a slow-witted kidnap victim who comes off like Rain Man Jr.

But at a screening Wednesday in Washington, D.C., with an audience sprinkled with a pro-J. Lo contingent, the movie didn't play like a totally big, fat dud.

In light of that, we offer 10 reasons Gigli is actually not going to ruin Ben or J. Lo's career, nor will it drive Bennifer from the limelight:

1. Their chemistry isn't that bad. They kiss with the right amount of lip action. They make love with enthusiasm. The audience was not groaning. In fact, you could say the anticipatory tension in the air when she first begins to sexually tease him was palpable.

2. There were laughs. People in the audience chuckled regularly. Not necessarily at them, but with them, even when Affleck had to declare himself "the original gangster's gangster."

3. No one ran out screaming, not even during a scene that already has gone into the Hollywood annals of embarrassing moments: J. Lo, provocatively sprawled on a bed, announces to Ben, "It's turkey time." When he looks quizzical, she smiles and adds helpfully, "Gobble, gobble." And, no, she is not inviting him over for Thanksgiving dinner.

4. She makes her entrance in black low-slung hip huggers and cropped top, an outfit highlighted in the preview trailer. That alone will draw fans of toned flesh into the theater. Bonus: Jen's snake-like moves during a yoga routine that begins with a truly stunning position that one could only describe as the Perdue roaster chicken.

5. We're told that in every relationship there is a bull and a cow. In Gigli, Affleck is the one who ends up mooing. Literally. Not to worry: As Lopez confirmed in the pair's chat on NBC's Dateline, "Ben wears the pants" in real life.

6. They drive a sky-blue Chevy Impala convertible. The two of them cruising is a sight we know well. Remember those tabloid shots of them kissing in a Bentley? Her hair shines and blows in the wind. He looks handsome behind the wheel. If Rain Man Jr. weren't in the back seat, you would call it romantic.

7. Not only can they say they've done a film with Al Pacino, they also can say they've acted with Al Pacino and they were actually better than he was.

8. Ben takes his shirt off at least three times.

9. J. Lo has one shower scene. (A complaint: Why does she wear a robe during the sex interlude? Her hit woman is anything but demure.)

10. Was Madonna ever clamped in irons and locked away for her many cinematic crimes? Bennifer will survive this, too.
Old 08-01-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helping to defend a movie in saying that "Their chemistry isn't that bad. They kiss with the right amount of lip action." as your #1 reason is really, really bad. Every reason is a specific thing that "Bennifer" did, not one word about the lame ass story.
Old 08-01-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I will never understand why ANYONE reads that rag....it's the worst newspaper ever....give me the local paper if i'm on the road any day.
Old 08-01-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I look to reason #8 for everything that is wrong with the media today. Taking off one's shirt automatically makes a movie good. Truly sad.
Old 08-01-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jell-O?

Bennifer?

Wow, I wish I was cool enough to use THOSE terms.
Old 08-01-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Jell-O?

Bennifer?

Maybe one day.
Old 08-01-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Jell-O?

Bennifer?

I think the terms are hilarious. Frankly, I could think of MUCH more rude names for those two.
Old 08-01-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate them both so much I refuse to read this article. Who really cares about J-Lo and Affleck, or for that matter Kutcher and Moore. I mean, enough is enough. I haven't heard one person who actually gives a ****.
Old 08-02-03, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LiquidSky
I think the terms are hilarious. Frankly, I could think of MUCH more rude names for those two.
Its Bennifer Loffleck.
Old 08-02-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I work with a guy that used to love Affleck movies. He hates J.Lo. So when they started dating he hasn't and won't see any more Affleck movies because he has lost respect for the guy.

Personally, I could care less who sleeps with who in hollywood, I just want to see good and or entertaining movies.
Old 08-02-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I look to reason #8 for everything that is wrong with the media today. Taking off one's shirt automatically makes a movie good. Truly sad.
You must not follow many of the threads here. At some point, every thread about a movie featuring a babe du jour degenerates into a discussion of how much flesh the actress reveals and whether the actress is worthy of the posters’ precious bodily fluids.

Personally, I thought the article was somewhat tounge-in-cheek.
Old 08-02-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I work with a guy that used to love Affleck movies. He hates J.Lo. So when they started dating he hasn't and won't see any more Affleck movies because he has lost respect for the guy.

Personally, I could care less who sleeps with who in hollywood, I just want to see good and or entertaining movies.
So you're saying he shouldn't be watching Ben Affleck movies anyway...

And not one Jell-o movie has been 'good and or entertaining'.
Old 08-02-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have more of a contempt for USA Today than I do for Jflek and Bennifer.
Old 08-03-03, 11:23 AM

And not one Jell-o movie has been 'good and or entertaining'.
You need to see Out of Sight then.

The wife and I saw Gigli last night. It was certainly not deserving of all the bashing I've read. We were entertained for two hours which is what I paid for.

Last edited by Indy Jones Fan; 08-03-03 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-03-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the record, pun-names are horrible. I mean, they're just ridiculously stupid.

N'Stink! Jell-O! Harry Potty! LOL!!!1
Old 08-03-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Corvin
For the record, pun-names are horrible. I mean, they're just ridiculously stupid.

N'Stink! Jell-O! Harry Potty! LOL!!!1

For the record!? Where is this documented exactly?
Old 08-03-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, okay, I meant it should be on the record.