Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New "My Sassy Girl: Director's Cut" DVD (Edko)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More
View Poll Results: Are you interested in this new release?
Yes! Gimme, gimme, gimme!
7.69%
Yes, but only if the subs are fixed.
19.23%
Undecided. I'll wait for the reviews.
11.54%
Nope, I'll stick with the theatrical version.
23.08%
Nope, I'll stick with my other Director's Cut version.
38.46%
Nope, no interest in the flick.
0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As reported by AsianDVDGuide, the new release is from Edko:

• Letterboxed and 16x9 enhanced
  • Korean (DD 2.0)
  • Chinese (Traditional) and English subtitles
  • Coded for region 3
  • Extras: Theatrical trailer, music video, photo gallery, and cast/crew filmographies.
Wonder if they'll have the same stupid subs as the other release of the Director's Cut...? I hope not.

Last edited by DVDude!; 08-28-03 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-01-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ill stick with my other 2 disc Directors Cut, subs were a little annoying but didnt distract me once the movie gets going.
Old 08-01-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was wrong with the subs on the previous Director's Cut?

And how does the pricing differ between the two releases? I saw the non-Director's Cut and thought it was a so-so movie. Does the DC significantly improve upon it?
Old 08-01-03, 12:57 PM

Didn't see the cut version.. I'm with Harosa, the subs aren't really a distraction.

Not sure if the directors cut will make it any better for you. One of my favorite films of all time... Actually I've watched this way too many times.
Old 08-01-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The subs are more like close captioning-saying who is talking, too descriptive
Old 08-02-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a heads up: DDDHouse has the new version for HK$92 (approximately $11.80 US).

Still waiting on hearing whether or not the subs are the same.
Old 08-02-03, 08:32 PM

The previous Edko release has regular subs, and I'd expect this one to have the same ones.
Old 08-28-03, 01:34 PM

bump

any word on the English subtitles for this? are they regular or captioned? are they worse/as good/better than the Korean Starmax?

the disc is correctly listed as Region 3 only, right?

I can't find a review on this disc anywhere....

Does anyone have an All Region copy of MY SASSY GIRL with good subtitles? I want to show it to some people who've never seen a Korean movie and really don't watch movies with subtitles that much either.....is the Starmax DVD director's cut really the best?
Should I get the original version on HK DVD? Does it have better subs?

thanks to anyone for info,

brandon

Last edited by alsoknownasx; 08-28-03 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-28-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember) that the subs are "normal" subs; i.e. not subs for the hearing impaired. The subs are supposedly on par with the previous theatrical release by Edko.

As far as I know, it's correctly listed as region 3. There are no region free editions of My Sassy Girl.
Old 08-29-03, 06:41 AM

I'm also looking for a review of this release. Someone told me the subtitles are good, but the audio and video quality isn't as good as the Starmax release. Unfortunatly he couldn't give me his source. So if anyone knows something about the quality of this release or a review somewhere, that would be very helpful.

(Although I'll probably buy this release anyway. I want the DC and good subs are very important to me.)
Old 08-29-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Plus, the audio on this one is dropped to DD2.0 instead of the DTS 5.1 available on the Starmax or the previous HK (Edko) release.
Old 08-29-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would anyone want the 123 minute release as opposed to the full 137 minute release, besides the inclusion of the extras?

I just ordered the 137 min EDKO R3 release - DVDAsian has it on sale for $17.95 - and my experience is that this version is becoming harder and harder to find now that the 2-disc version is out.

BTW, the picture is for the old 137 min release, not the new 2-disc (see the 137 on the cover).

Jeremy
Old 08-29-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jrutz
I just ordered the 137 min EDKO R3 release - DVDAsian has it on sale for $17.95 - and my experience is that this version is becoming harder and harder to find now that the 2-disc version is out.
The 2-disc release that DVDAsian is selling is described as having the commentary on Disc 2. What does that mean? Do both discs have a copy of the movie? Also, Is Disc 1 of the 2-disc set the same a the single disc release (meaning all of the additional features of the 2-disc set show up on the 2nd disc)?
Old 08-29-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PS. Is the commentary available in English? How about the other features?
Old 08-29-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Why would anyone want the 123 minute release as opposed to the full 137 minute release, besides the inclusion of the extras?

Because a lot of people, including myself, prefer the theatrical cut. More isn't necessarily better even with so-called "Director's cut".
Old 08-29-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by eXcentris
Because a lot of people, including myself, prefer the theatrical cut. More isn't necessarily better even with so-called "Director's cut".
Exactly. I found that I prefer the theatrical version for "My Sassy Girl" as well. The cuts simply reveals too much about "her" past and the ex-boyfriend at inappropriate times. It was nice to watch them as deleted scenes later, but definitely not included in the movie.
Old 08-29-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay. I'm officially confused. Which version did you order? The picture above is from the 137 min Edko release for $17.95 from DVDAsian. In fact, that's where the pic is linked from. Here's the FULL PAGE.

BTW, the picture is for the old 137 min release, not the new 2-disc (see the 137 on the cover).
Which new 2-disc? Is it available from DVDAsian? From what studio?

Old 08-29-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDude!
Okay. I'm officially confused. Which version did you order? The picture above is from the 137 min Edko release for $17.95 from DVDAsian. In fact, that's where the pic is linked from. Here's the FULL PAGE.

Which new 2-disc? Is it available from DVDAsian? From what studio?

My bad...I thought I saw the EDKO 2-disc release on DVDAsian.

I ordered the EDKO single disc release.

Jeremy
Old 08-29-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My bad...I thought I saw the EDKO 2-disc release on DVDAsian.

I ordered the EDKO single disc release.
Thanks for the clarification. Can I ask for more? Are you saying there's an even newer 2-disc edition from Edko of the director's cut? (Not necessarily from DVDAsian, but anywhere?)

<HR>

Wow, I just realized that it was Peep that posted above. Thought you were dead--unless I just haven't noticed you're still posting.
Old 08-30-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, here's the different My Sassy Girl releases:

Starmax (Korean)
2-disc DC (137 minutes) R3
3-disc DC (137 minutes) with OST CD - Limited - R3

EDKO (HK)
single-disc DC (137 minutes) R0
2-disc (123 minutes) R3

Here's a list of the different features for each:

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=3937

Jeremy
Old 08-30-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the list, Jeremy. I didn't realize that the new Edko is R0. It's advertised as R3 where I've seen it. (Par for the course with some Asian discs.)

I do disagree with dvdcompare.org when they say a disc is better because it has special features, but those special features have no English subs. Sure, it's great if the viewer understands the language (in this case Korean), but it's a big minus for me.
Old 08-30-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A couple months ago all I saw in Chinatown was the single disc EDKO release. A couple weeks ago when I finally decided to pick it up I went down there looking for it and all they had was the 2-disc 123 min release, so I was under the assumption it was the most recent EDKO release.

I work in Herald Square in the Korean neighborhood, so these Korean versions are readily available to me. I decided to go with the EDKO releases over the Starmax because of the CC subtitles, which I thought would get in the way.

Also, I'm a completest, so when I had the choice between the 123 and 137 minute versions, I chose the latter, but like you said earlier that's just personal preference. Most movies could use a little tightening up here and there, but you'd never know that if you never had the chance to see it in full. So it was between the EDKO 137 minute release and the Starmax release, and as I said before I went with the EDKO because of the subtitles.

I guess that's why I know so much about all the different versions!

Jeremy
Old 08-30-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, Jeremy. And thanks for the explanation.

I'm from Manhattan originally (Upper West Side), but now live in Atlanta. I used to go down to Chinatown for "real" Chinese food and to buy fireworks occassionally. The next time I'm in NY (maybe this Christmas) I do want to go downtown to see how the DVD selection is.

Are prices competitive with online prices (DDDHouse is very cheap and yesasia is good for non-Hong Kong releases)? Is it easy to avoid boots? Do they have many new releases already (like Tube, for example)?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in the West Village, so Chinatown isn't too far of a walk. The prices totally blow away anything online, but you have to know where to go. There are three places I usually check out that carry only legit releases, and their prices beat the best online prices by about $2-3. Pokerindustries.com I find has the best online prices, so if there is something I absolutely cannot find in Chinatown, I'll go there.

So yes, if you go to the right places you can avoid boots. And they usually get releases pretty close to the day they are released in HK. Returner, Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla and Ju-On are three recent releases I've picked up in Chinatown that have beat the online release dates by a day or two.

It's too bad - I wanted to go down there today but it's hot, muggy and rainy in NYC.

Jeremy
Old 08-30-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are the prices down there cheaper than DDDHouse or Layoyo? I've found that for Hong Kong DVDs, those two etailers have the cheapest price by far. If you order at least five at a time, shipping is reasonable at DDDHouse.

If I am able to go home this Christmas, would you mind if I emailed you for specifics on where to go in Chinatown to get good prices and avoid boots? Thanks.

(As for the weather in NYC, I envy ya. I'd much rather be there than here. Even if the humidity in NYC were 100% and it was 107 degrees. )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.