Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godfather Trilogy thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe that The Godfather was an EXCELLENT film... no question there.

However, I just can't seem to get into Godfather 2.

It had some good parts yes... but overall it was too LONG, complicated, and dull in places.

What do you guys think?

As far as Godfather 3, I didnt think it was too bad really...had some awesome scenes.
Old 07-31-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll admit I felt somewhat the same way the first time I saw Part II many years ago. But it's one of those movies that grow on you tremendously, and as you figure out the relationships and goings-on, you see it for the masterpiece it is. Watch it again in a bit, then again, and you'll see what I mean.

I also agree about Part III. It gets a bad rap, rather unfairly, for being pale in comparison to the others. Remember, it was nominated for Best Picture.
Old 07-31-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep watching, seriously. In my opinion, or more practically, my experience, the first one just this incredibly engaging, warm(despite the content) film, that inspite of some harsh content, leaves a warm and fuzzy feeling
Spoiler:
(the pure attonment Michael makes for Sonny's death and the plotting against him is feel good in many ways, and the ball set in motion by closing the door on Kay is not quite realized at the end of part 1
. It's not Disney, but I think there was much to be admired. I think much of part II however, is incontrovertibly dark, and there are no real moments of victory/joy excepting when
Spoiler:
Don Corleone kills Don's Fannuchi and Tommasino
. And the movie certainly concludes in a very dark fashion when
Spoiler:
Michael has Fredo killed, even though he deserved it, it remains a major major downer for many reasons

But outside of those, it really took me until recent years to acquire that taste, and believe me, it's well worthwhile. Not to mention the plot is fairly involved, especially regarding the Cuban dealing, and it's essential to appreciate and know those dealings backward and forward, and several key plot points are NOT repeated ad nasuem like many films, and are vital, but mentioned only in passing
Spoiler:
like the Johnny Ola stuff, which I missed in my first few viewings

It's really such a monument to filmmaking in it's layers and complexities, but it is a fine wine and not a soft drink.
Old 07-31-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Keep watching, seriously. In my opinion, or more practically, my experience, the first one just this incredibly engaging, warm(despite the content) film, that inspite of some harsh content, leaves a warm and fuzzy feeling
Spoiler:
(the pure attonment Michael makes for Sonny's death and the plotting against him is feel good in many ways, and the ball set in motion by closing the door on Kay is not quite realized at the end of part 1
. It's not Disney, but I think there was much to be admired. I think much of part II however, is incontrovertibly dark, and there are no real moments of victory/joy excepting when
Spoiler:
Don Corleone kills Don's Fannuchi and Tommasino
. And the movie certainly concludes in a very dark fashion when
Spoiler:
Michael has Fredo killed, even though he deserved it, it remains a major major downer for many reasons

But outside of those, it really took me until recent years to acquire that taste, and believe me, it's well worthwhile. Not to mention the plot is fairly involved, especially regarding the Cuban dealing, and it's essential to appreciate and know those dealings backward and forward, and several key plot points are NOT repeated ad nasuem like many films, and are vital, but mentioned only in passing
Spoiler:
like the Johnny Ola stuff, which I missed in my first few viewings

It's really such a monument to filmmaking in it's layers and complexities, but it is a fine wine and not a soft drink.

Well said!
Old 08-01-03, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the darkness and complexity make Godfather II more interesting than The Godfather... I think Al Pacino's performance in the sequel might be one of the five best performances ever by any actor in any film.

The Godfather scores points with a more well-rounded cast, a more linear plotline, and a better overall script. I think that the flashback scenes in Godfather II detract from the overall movie, but they are still a revelation if only as a wonderfully accurate historic set piece to back up Robert DeNiro's acting, summoning his inner Brando and just hinting at the dark strength and utter dignity of the Don.

What puzzles me is why people keep calling it "The Godfather Trilogy". There was The Godfather and then there was The Godfather II. I'm not sure what this third movie is that people keep mentioning, since they never made a third movie in the series.

That's right -- they never made a third movie in the trilogy. What's that? I can't hear you! LA LA LA LA LA...
Old 08-02-03, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So now its the Godfather Series? Oh no.
Old 08-02-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too think of the "trilogy" as two films. FFC did something in the third one that he shouldn't have done, and that was redeem Michael. I liked how Michael didn't want to be like his father at the beginning of the first movie, but by the end of the second, he had become his own worst nightmare, a paranoid lonely gangster.

Yes, there is some good stuff in the 3rd one, but it is nowhere near the level of the first two. To me, the first two represent the apex of American film making in the 1970's. If the third one had been released under a different name, it wouldn't have gotten the Best Picture nomination it received.
Old 08-03-03, 01:36 AM
Banned

GODFATHER 3 getting an Oscar nod is what made think that the Oscars are not picked by votes as they say.