Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Deal for Ghost Recon Island Thunder?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 02:16 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok XBLer's , get off your KOTOR arses and dust off those headsets. It's time for some new GR fun.

Due out 8/5. Who's getting this? MSRP is $39.99. I was hoping for $29.99. What's the best deal?

Let's organize some group play next week.

Last edited by dgc; 07-31-03 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't I hear somewhere there was a $10 rebate for owners of the first Ghost Recon?

BTW, dgc love the new logo!

Jeremy
Old 07-31-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
WHY!!! I have all this money going into the nursery and games are just coming so fast after months of nothing. First NCAA, KOTOR, GR and then Madden. This sucks, I need even more money now.
Old 07-31-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't buy the first one but, was interested in this version. Does it included all of the old single and multiplayer levels plus new ones? Or is it expansion levels only?
Old 07-31-03, 05:55 PM
dgc

Originally posted by edstein
I didn't buy the first one but, was interested in this version. Does it included all of the old single and multiplayer levels plus new ones? Or is it expansion levels only?
It's has a whole new single player campaign, new multiplayer levels plus 4 of the old favorite multiplayer levels which were voted on by the gaming community.

http://www.ghostrecon.com/ghostrecon_xbox.php

"GRIT Xbox will not require players to have a retail copy of the original game to enjoy a new Ghost campaign. Both new recruits and seasoned vets who earned their stripes playing the original Xbox game will enjoy the camaraderie of the shared battlefield. Xbox Live soldiers can experience the intensity of the front lines side-by-side with their battlefield brothers while covering each others’ backs and calling out commands using the Xbox Live communicator. Gamers who purchase the campaign disk will have future access to exclusive downloadable content featuring new missions and maps. Included in the campaign disk will be a dozen game types and twelve multiplayer maps for Xbox Live play, including four maps from the original Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon.

“The Clancy brand owes its incredible popularity to gamers who want an intense and realistic gameplay experience,” said Tony Kee, Ubi Soft’s vice president of marketing. “With this new campaign disk, Ubi Soft Entertainment can give back to Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon fans, providing them with more of their favorite Ghost action without the price tag of a whole new game.”

“Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon is one of our most popular games on Xbox Live and has everyone going wild!” said Andre Vrignaud, director of technical strategy, Xbox Live. “With Xbox Live, gamers can download exciting fresh content like new missions and maps, injecting new energy into gameplay, and keeping games like this fresh and engaging.”

About the Game
Developed by Red Storm Entertainment™, the Ubi Soft studio credited with originally developing the award-winning Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon™ and Rainbow Six™ franchises, the campaign disk will feature the Cuban campaign from Ghost Recon: Island Thunder™ (PC) and popular maps from Ghost Recon: Desert Siege™ (PC). As an added bonus, four additional maps from the original Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon (Xbox) allow new recruits to experience the battlefields of Eastern Europe exclusively on XBOX Live.

Game features include:
Xbox Live compatible
Downloadable content
8 mission single-player campaign set in Cuba
8 multiplayer maps ranging from desert to city to jungle
4 fan-favorite maps from the original Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon (Xbox) for additional Live play
New types of multiplayer gameplay"

Last edited by dgc; 07-31-03 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 05:55 PM

Same question as edstein, if this is just an expansion, you need to buy the 1st game first right?
Old 07-31-03, 05:57 PM
MPK

No, you do not need to own the first game.
Old 07-31-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ubi has said all along that you would NOT have to buy the original. I sold my copy of the original awhile back when I ran out of time to play so I will have to pick this one up.
Old 08-05-03, 06:24 PM
dgc

My local B&M didn't get it yet. Perhaps tomorrow.

Who's got it? Who's getting it?

Let's setup a date to play!!!!
Old 08-05-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I'm really starting to like Ghost Recon so this expansion sounds cool.
Old 08-06-03, 09:04 AM

I preordered it, and should be picking it up shortly. I've been waiting for this one for a while. I loved the first one (sadly traded it a while back) and the demo to this one was pretty good. Can't wait to go home and get on live!
Old 08-06-03, 09:24 AM

Has it fixed the spawnkilling issues?
Old 08-06-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by warcp
Has it fixed the spawnkilling issues?
You mean when they have an enemy sniper fixed on your spawning site?
Old 08-06-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, I just got live, and played GR for PC, is this game that good on live? I like this style of games and this looks like a winner to me. So, are there any good deals for this?
Old 08-06-03, 12:51 PM
dgc

Just picked it up. I paid the full retail ($39.99) but there was no coupon for the $10 rebate for owners of the original GR. How do we get the rebate?

I checked the forums at ubi but no info yet:

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/messa...nsole&id=zzdzy

I just called them (919-460-9778) and the rep said he had no info on the rebate but will ask his boss when he gets back from lunch. He said they will post rebate info on their FAQ section of their site:

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...er/std_alp.php

WTF??? - piss poor communications regarding this rebate. Maybe it was just an OXM rumor.

Last edited by dgc; 08-06-03 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn DGC, if you got it I've got to pick it up so we can finally get in a game or two.

Jeremy
Old 08-06-03, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Cusm
You mean when they have an enemy sniper fixed on your spawning site?

Yeah, exactly. Do they have any kind of temporary invincibility when you spawn or an option for something like that?
Old 08-07-03, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by dgc
Just picked it up. I paid the full retail ($39.99) but there was no coupon for the $10 rebate for owners of the original GR. How do we get the rebate?

I checked the forums at ubi but no info yet:

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/messa...nsole&id=zzdzy

I just called them (919-460-9778) and the rep said he had no info on the rebate but will ask his boss when he gets back from lunch. He said they will post rebate info on their FAQ section of their site:

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...er/std_alp.php

WTF??? - piss poor communications regarding this rebate. Maybe it was just an OXM rumor.

From the Ghost Recon website:

http://www.ghostrecon.com/news.php?p...ltgrit&id=4617

GRIT Xbox Rebate Info

Game fans may have read in the latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine about a $10 rebate for Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Island Thunder. While it is true that at press time a rebate was under consideration for this product, we were unable to implement a rebate program due to a variety of logistical reasons that were unforeseen and beyond our control. We truly regret any confusion this may have caused.

The Ubi Soft Team
Old 08-07-03, 05:59 PM
dgc

Yeah, I got the same copy and paste email response.

"we were unable to implement a rebate program due to a variety of logistical reasons that were unforeseen and beyond our control. "

Yeah, sure, unforeseen renegging & greed.
Old 08-07-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
BTW : My local BB had lots of copies of the "Grits" demo (which has the first single-player mission on it) for one cent. You might want to check that out if you're on the fence about the title