Old 07-31-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Macross game for PS2 to be released October 30th

Also from Gamers.com...

Gamers.com: News:

PS2 Macross Coming October 30

By: D. F. Smith July 30, 2003 10:23 AM PDT
Bandai plans to release its AM2-developed Super Dimension Fortress Macross game in Japan on October 30, reports the latest issue of Famitsu Weekly The fall release will conclude a brief hype wave starting at the Tokyo Game Show at the end of September, when the game will be displayed in playable form for the first time.
We'll see if we can't take advantage of that demonstration this fall and update accordingly. Look forward to it.

Macross Game Story

here's some screenshots

Macross Screenshots

They look pretty good. I hope this game is released in America, seeing now that Macross is a little more known now because of the growing popularity of anime.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 07-31-03 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
I don't know... I wouldn't hold my breath. I waited and waited for VFX 2 for the PS1 to come out, and it got cancelled (it wasn't that great of a game, but I liked the original). Plus there's the whole legal issue with Macross/Robotech and Harmony Gold, so unless they get a piece of the pie, I don't see it happening.
Old 07-31-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
I don't know... I wouldn't hold my breath. I waited and waited for VFX 2 for the PS1 to come out, and it got cancelled (it wasn't that great of a game, but I liked the original). Plus there's the whole legal issue with Macross/Robotech and Harmony Gold, so unless they get a piece of the pie, I don't see it happening.
Yeah I remember waiting...and waiting and waiting for Macross VFX2 to be released in America. Bandai even did quite a bit of advertising in alot of gaming magazines for the game. But I think it was cancelled more due to that it wasn't a very good game than copyright issues.

I think that they could release the game in America if they could establish that it was a "different" game than the Robotech games that are currently out now. I'm not a copyright lawyer so I don't know what the law is exactly.
Old 07-31-03, 05:48 PM

Wow, the screenshots look amazing, hopefully controls are good.
Old 07-31-03, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Yeah I remember waiting...and waiting and waiting for Macross VFX2 to be released in America. Bandai even did quite a bit of advertising in alot of gaming magazines for the game. But I think it was cancelled more due to that it wasn't a very good game than copyright issues.

LOL Since when has whether the game is good or not made any difference when money can be made? I remember preordering that game with eb, wanted it sooooo bad then bam, cancelled, first Robotech Crystal Dreams then Vf-X2, wanted to go punch something.
Old 08-01-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Yeah, it definitely wasn't cancelled because it was bad. I remember having it preordered for the longest time, and it kept getting delayed. The Japanese version was out for a while too, so if it was quality issues, I'm sure they would've known earlier.

There are a LOT of legal issues surrounding the Macross/Robotech license. Harmony Gold successfully stopped the sale of Macross toys in the US, after selling their own Robotech line, and there's quite a bit of controversy over whether HG actually has the US distribution rights. Unless this is based on an ancilliary series, like Macross plus or the recent Macross zero, or if they pay HG, I wouldn't bet on seeing this anytime soon...
Old 08-02-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As John Cleese would say "That my friend is the sticky wickett!".

I thought alot of hte copyright issues might have been cleared up after Ainmeigo's release of the original uncut version of Macross on DVD. But it looks like they are most likely not.

As a side note, there would be a simple way around this and it would also solve some of the problems with mod-chipping. Bandai could include a region 1 code in addition to the region 2 code on the game disc. I'm not suggesting that every single release should have a R1 code on it (I think some of the Dragonball DVD's were initially multi-coded). But a select few could. Technically the game would not be "officially" released in America, but you could still get it as an import. And rather than people cracking open their PS2's and going ape wild with a soldering iron, they could safely play an R2 game.

It sounds like a good idea in theory. But I assume there would be problems with Sony and certain game publishers.