Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Polanski's Chinatown

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Polanski's Chinatown

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polanski's Chinatown

We got to watch the film Chinatown in my Sociology in Film class today, and I gotta say I really enjoyed it. I had never seen it before (it was actually the first Polanski film I've ever seen), and it was something different. I felt that the pacing was very slow, but not a boring slow. Earlier I watched Frantic b/c I've got to write a short analysis of that as well. Anyone have any other ideas of Polanski films that I could watch? I enjoyed both of these, and I am just sorry it took me so long to get around to it. Thanks in advance.

BTW, how is the sequel to Chinatown ? Is it worth the trouble of seeing?
Old 07-29-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its got Harvey Keitel. He makes everything worth seeing.
Old 07-29-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you like Polanski's films, try his most recent movie, The Pianist, where he won the Best Director award at the Academy.
Old 07-29-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally thought The Two Jakes was a dismal follow-up to Chinatown which I like a lot.

You've never seen Rosemary's Baby? A must!
Old 07-29-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Chinatown as well. How is The Tenant?
Old 07-29-03, 11:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by theneobez
I loved Chinatown as well. How is The Tenant?
The Tenant is decent. No where near as good as Chinatown. I'd rank it about as high as Ninth Gate. Its decent.
Old 07-30-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Polanski is a wonderful director with a keen sense of the macabre. Beyond Chinatown, my picks:

Rosemary's Baby
The Tenant
Repulsion
Knife in the Water
Tess
The Pianist
Old 07-30-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Repulsion is a Must See. audrey's list is excellent.
Old 07-30-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Knife in the Water
Old 07-30-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Fearless Vampire Killers
Old 07-30-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by audrey

Rosemary's Baby
The Tenant
Repulsion
Knife in the Water
Tess
The Pianist
Yes....
Old 07-30-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd add Polanski's MacBeth. IMO it's one of the best Shakespeare adaptations ever made. A lot of people harp on the sex and violence of the film, but I think it really suits the material and don't find it gratuitous at all. The Columbia Tri-Star DVD is a must have for any Polanski fan.
Old 07-30-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

third audrey's list.

----

The Two Jakes, the sequel to Chinatown, is nowhere near as perfect as Chinatown. But since my favorite actor, Jack Nicholson, directed it...I say go for it and watch it. The film is just okay and was a real let down to a lot of critics and movie goers but nine times out of ten, a sequel is never going to be as good as the first. And sequels always get criticized because of the first film.

I also read in Nicholson's biography that The Two Jakes was supposed to be made only a couple of years after Chinatown not the 16 years it took to get to the screen. It never really said why, just arguments about the direction the script was going.
Old 07-30-03, 06:09 PM
Banned

Two Jakes was supposed to be follow Chinatown much sooner. It had a different director attached (maybe Robert Towne) and Robert Evens (the Producer!!?) was supposed to play the other Jake. Evens droped out as producer and star due to personal problems and the film went into limbo until Nicholson reserected it many years later.

BTW, Polanski is a rapist so we shouldn't watch any of his films and anyone who does is an advocate of child molestation
Old 07-30-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
The Fearless Vampire Killers
Old 07-30-03, 09:23 PM
mwj

Chinatown is great. I am really looking forward to seeing Knife in the Water as I have heard great things about it.
Old 07-30-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
BTW, Polanski is a rapist so we shouldn't watch any of his films and anyone who does is an advocate of child molestation
Old 07-31-03, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Pants

Well, how old was she...14?
Old 07-31-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Man, seventeen responses and still no love for Bitter Moon, one of my all-time Polanski favorites...
Old 07-31-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I should watch some of Polanski's movies.. I like the guy's style.
Old 05-09-12, 04:41 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Polanski's Chinatown

Time for the BIG BUMP...this was the only Chinatown thread I could find in the movie forum.

Anyway, I watched Chinatown on blu ray last weekend, probably my 10th time seeing the film. Great supplements. I really love the film but two things struck me watching the film this time:

1. I really don't like the scene in the orange groves when Jake is investigating and he gets chased by the farmers who think he's a scheming real estate guy. The farmers seem unrealistically hostile, they just go off guns blazing without any real provocation, then Jake runs and continues to run even when he's cornered (why doesn't he throw up his hands and say "I'm here to help you!"?), then when he gets out of his car and they've got him and they're all holding guns on him he is belligerent and proceeds to punch a guy in the face. The rest of the film has a lot of verisimilitude; the characters and plot happen in believable ways, this scene goes off the rails. It doesn't seem realistic, the action of the farmers and Jake seems unmotivated.

Most interesting is that the supplements reveal that these orange grove scenes were the first thing shot for the film. I'd guess that Polanski (and everyone else) probably hadn't quite found the right tone yet for the film.

2. I learned this interesting bit of info on iMDB:
Cinematographer Stanley Cortez was fired soon after production began because his classical style did not match the naturalistic style Polanski wanted for the film and proved too time consuming. Polanski had to find a replacement in only a few days and chose John A. Alonzo. As David Fincher and Robert Towne describe on their DVD commentary, two scenes shot by Cortez are in the film. The orange grove fight with the farmers (but not the following porch scene with Evelyn) and the drive back to Los Angeles at sunset are Cortez's work.
This confirms that the orange grove scene was the first thing filmed, but I think Cortez really did an amazing job. Despite the fact that I don't like it, the orange grove scene is one of the film's most famous scenes and is usually used whenever a clip of Chinatown is needed in a documentary or during an awards show, and I personally always really like the magic hour driving scene that follows. It's really beautiful.

I like Alonzo's work on the rest of the film, but I can't help but wonder if the film would have been even better keeping Cortez.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-09-12 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 09:50 PM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Re: Polanski's Chinatown

I happened to watch Chinatown the other day and I have to admit, I had similar thoughts about that scene for the first time.