Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standying 7/29

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Comic Standying 7/29

Ralphie came out with pretty much all new material and was pretty good. Dat used his mother waaaaaaay too much again and recycled 90% of his jokes from his earlier acts that we've already heard. Tess is up next.
Old 07-29-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Dat annoyed me again. Ralphie was funny. Tess was 'eh. Vos isn't killing it but isn't completely flopping.
Old 07-29-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't much like Ralphie. he used the gas bit to long.

tess bombed. thankfully.

Rich was doing pretty decent

Dat didn't do well at all

so far, my money is on ralphie simply because he got the most laughs, but I can tell right now tess is dead in the water.
Old 07-29-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tess did her typical fat black woman comedy. She annoys me for some reason and it would annoy me if she won, because she would just get a typical sitcom that has been done a million times. Vos was good. Ralphie and Vos were the best so far. I think Ralphie should win the whole thing.
Old 07-29-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Corey was alright, but nothing great. I still think Ralphie should win, but he probably won't.
Old 07-29-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
agreed.
Old 07-29-03, 10:16 PM

Ralphie stayed on one subject way too long. Dat stuck with the mother routine which I don't find very funny at all. His best joke in my opinion was the one about the racist people making fun of him. I thought it was hilarious the first time around, not so much the second time. Tess annoyed me a lot. It seemed like she was talking funny, I don't really know how to explain it. Something with her mouth/lips.

I think I liked Rich the best. This may be because I haven't seen his act since the auditions so it was the freshest. It wasn't nearly as predictable as all the other acts.
Old 07-29-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ralphie started SLOW, put picked it up.
I thought Cory was much better tonight than in the past, had some good stuff.
Voss was good, but not great or anything.
Dat, act is getting old fast, with a few decent jokes slipped in.
Tess = TERRIBLE, didn't care for it at all.

And that's how I'd rate them tonight:

Ralphie
Cory/Rich tie
Dat
Tess

Wish their acts were longer, and the result show shorter.

And wish DAVE was still on the show.
Old 07-29-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem with Dat is that we've already seen him twice so we've already heard some of his material. The others have an advantage in that they haven't been up yet and have no recycling problems yet.

Anyways, I thought they were all pretty bad. When you think about all the comedians you see on the comic shows/specials, none of these 5 are even close to being in the same league as those people.

For tonights performances, I'd put Tess and Ralphie at the bottom of the list - those 2 just annoyed me instead of entertaining me. The rest were all equally mediocre so its hard to pick a favorite.
Old 07-29-03, 11:52 PM

what happens next week?
Old 07-30-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought Ralphie was hilarious, easily the best of the bunch and better then most of the comics i see on comedy central or who appear on late night shows. If he doesn't win, i'd be incredibly surprised. As for everyone else... i thought Rich blew. Absolutely terrible and not funny at all. Dat was ok... but like everyone else i'm getting quite tired of his schtick and the impersonation of his mom. Tess was forgettable... bad mental pictures there too. Cory was alright, i'd put her 2nd or 3rd behind Ralphie. My order would be Ralphie, Dat/Cory, Tess, and then Rich.
Old 07-30-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I SWEAR to god I must have heard Rich/someone tell some of his jokes i.e. swingannamiss. He was ok.

I actually liked Cory's routine so I hope she wins.
The person that most likely will suceed in a sitcom/development deal. who knows - probably Tess - the sassy mo'nique casttype.
Old 07-30-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

tess is like the chubby version of oprah

raphy, the gas routine was kind of long.

anyone on here vote? i try voting by phone, since i m on the westcoast, i got a voicemail telling me that the voting in my time zone ended. so the ppl in the westcoast got screw on the phone voting, since it aired on 9pm pst, according to jay moore, there is a 1hr gag from 10pm-11pm for the voting.

you can also vote online at votenbc.com
Old 07-30-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually liked tess more than the others. That said, they were all pretty bad.
Old 07-30-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I voted for Voss, not because I thought his act last night was the best (actually, I wasn't too impressed) but because I thought he was consistently the funniest and least annoying of the remaining players over the course of the show. I really wish Dave Mordal would have been up there. He'd had my vote.
Old 07-30-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hero
what happens next week?
AZn hour and 55 minutes of BS until they announce the winner 5 minutes before the show ends.
Old 07-30-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I told my fiancee that it's a shame that both Rob Cantrell and Dave Mordall were funnier than all 5 of them!!!

I voted for Dat, just to piss off all of you guys! Ha.
Old 07-30-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I guess I’ll be in the minority of the forum and say I hated Ralphie. He came off as both angry and ignorant, and he beat a dead horse.- Dat was lame, too much mom stuff, bits we'd heard before.- Tess stunk, I got up halfway through and didn’t bother with her act.- Voss and Corey were both okay, a good joke or two, but I agree overall I wasn’t bowled over by anyones material. I voted for Voss simply because he’ll lose anyway and he was more solid than the others, got the best chuckle out of me.
Old 07-30-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by the_dude8
tess is like the chubby version of oprah

raphy, the gas routine was kind of long.

anyone on here vote? i try voting by phone, since i m on the westcoast, i got a voicemail telling me that the voting in my time zone ended. so the ppl in the westcoast got screw on the phone voting, since it aired on 9pm pst, according to jay moore, there is a 1hr gag from 10pm-11pm for the voting.

you can also vote online at votenbc.com
I was able to vote last night, but I had to wait until 10-something. During the show, the lines were closed, and right after, I got a busy signal.

Ralphy cheap gas routine was stupid, if not a bit offensive. I don't get the Oprah comparision, but whatever.
Old 07-30-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tess sounds like she's been to too many self help seminars. She's the black female Stewart Smally. I'm so sick of hearing how sexy she thinks she is She also seems like a big phony.

Whenever they had those challenges that required them to talk to strangers on the street she would always win because she'd be outgoing and charismatic, but when they're around the house all she ever talks about is how she hates Dat. I could see how Dat could be annoying, but he spends most of his time off by himself and she really hates him for no valid reason. She's either on medication or needs some.
Old 07-30-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they hated Dat for two reasons:

He wanted to be an actor and was using comedy to get there.

He was weird.

IMO, Dat could stand along any of them as comics. He wasn't great, but neither were they (from what I saw).

Both Mordall and Cantrell were easily better comics than any of them. I've seen Cantrell's act (he opened for Mohr in Vegas) and he was a riot.
Old 07-30-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was the first time I actually found Ralphie funny. Go figure. He had me laughing. Den Dat stank, then I recorded the rest and went to be. So I'll see what the others were like later. My favorites have always been Dave and Rich though.
Old 07-30-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say it was a toss up between Ralphie and Cory....Dat sucked, Tess was horrible, and I just don't like Rich Vos at all....and don't think he should have been on the show in the first place....so i voted twice for Ralphie and once for Cory.....
Old 07-30-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Ralphie will win.
But I don't want Cory coming in last or close to it.
So I voted about 6 or 7 times for Cory and about 3 times for Ralphie.
Old 07-30-03, 05:36 PM

I have to go with Ralphie he got the best reaction of any of the comics. Dat's routine is old and lame Vos and Tess were terrible. I didn't even bother watching the rest of Corey.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.