Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why no ABBA reunion?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Why no ABBA reunion?

Old 07-29-03, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why no ABBA reunion?

was listening to some good ol' ABBA today...these guys are still popular as all hell. With MAMA MIA and their cds selling well, you know if they got back together and toured they would make a truckload of $ and sell out arenas all over.

Why haven't they gotten back together?
Old 07-29-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the split was pretty acrimonious...
Old 07-29-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Saw somewhere on TV (60 Minutes, 20/20, or Dateline), that somebody offered ABBA a billion dollars (or could stand to make that much) to regroup for a reunion tour (of sorts). And the only person who said no was the blonde female. What was her name? Agnetha or something? Anyway, they claim she's almost a recluse now. And wants nothing to do with ABBA.
Old 07-29-03, 02:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Agnetha Faltskog, is her name. And on "The Winner Takes It All - The ABBA Story" video she gets interviewed only once. The docu also states she hardly even speaks in English anymore and speaks in her native language of Swedish almost exclusively.
Old 07-29-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To turn down that type of money is ridiculous. But I guess it takes all kinds...
Old 07-29-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Plus that "mama-mia" musical is making one if not 2 of the guys very rich. I think they both put it together.

IIRC, I heard one of them say in the same story about the musical that the good ole days should stay in the past or something like that. He didn't sound sound very nostalgic.
Old 07-29-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
IIRC, I heard one of them say in the same story about the musical that the good ole days should stay in the past or something like that. He didn't sound sound very nostalgic.
...as he milks their legacy for millions...
Old 07-29-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went and saw the group Bjorn Again last year and it was great fun. If you can't see the real thing, go with imitation. Find out when they come to your town in the future.
Old 07-29-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I think she has enough money that she'd rather stay at home than deal with touring.
Old 07-29-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
I think she has enough money that she'd rather stay at home than deal with touring.
Make no mistake about it, they all have plenty 'o cash. I think the investers stood to make a lot of money too. ABBA's music still continues to sell extremely well worldwide. One of their many Greatest Hits album is constantly on the British Top 40 charts. It's gone quadrillion platinum or something as insane. You know, some singers/artists just don't want to sing or tour anymore. Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie did the same. She sat this one out on the latest FM album and tour. Said she wanted to just spend time in her castle (!) in England and paint. And good for her
Old 07-30-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't mind seeing a reunion. But if they don't want to then that's their business.
Old 07-30-03, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by Daytripper
Saw somewhere on TV (60 Minutes, 20/20, or Dateline), that somebody offered ABBA a billion dollars (or could stand to make that much) to regroup for a reunion tour (of sorts). And the only person who said no was the blonde female. What was her name? Agnetha or something? Anyway, they claim she's almost a recluse now. And wants nothing to do with ABBA.
Half correct...they were offered a billion $US for 100 shows (which is a lot of cash). Bjorn was interviewed last year on Australian 60 minutes and said all 4 met to talk it over and ALL agreed that they didn't have enough desire. They are already wealthy from ABBA, the boys have their musicals, Frida is an environmental activist and Agnetha never liked flying, touring etc. anyway and was happy to stay at home and enjoy her solitude. Their biggest fear was that it would be a huge let down for the fans.

The split in 1982 was friendly enough and ABBA was never officially abandoned but I think we can safely assume, after 20 years that a reunion tour is most unlikely. Especially as they have never even hinted at a reunion.

See www.abbamail.com and www.abbasite.com which are two excellent sites for all your ABBA need. They are updated constantly and no, I am not affliliated with either of them in anyway

Regards

Terry
Old 07-30-03, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by redhenry
Half correct...they were offered a billion $US for 100 shows (which is a lot of cash).
Goodness, that's $10 M per show. (I'm ignoring that the figure might include CD and broadcast rights.) Even if you're playing 50,000-seat stadiums, that's $200 per person in profit, making tickets at least $250 (if not a lot more). Change that to 20,000-seat arenas, and it's $500 profit per attendee, making tickets $600-$1,000 apiece.

I know ABBA is still popular (and I'd probably pay $25-$50 to see 'em, which is more than I would pay to see most bands), I didn't realize that somebody thinks 5,000,000 people would pay $250-$500 apiece to see them.
Old 07-30-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by SAShepherd
I know ABBA is still popular (and I'd probably pay $25-$50 to see 'em, which is more than I would pay to see most bands)
Geez you must not see a lot of shows.
Old 07-30-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get it but I have promised my SO that I would take her to Mama Mia. She loves this stuff so I have to take one for the team.
Old 07-30-03, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by cungar
Geez you must not see a lot of shows.
Bingo. I'd have to think about it, but there are probably only about a half-dozen artists I'd pay $50 to see in concert. But that's just me. Don't get me started on the high cost of seeing shows and ticket fees. An entirely different topic.
Old 07-31-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agnetha
Old 07-31-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Flashback
I don't get it but I have promised my SO that I would take her to Mama Mia. She loves this stuff so I have to take one for the team.
It's not so bad. It's goofy as hell, but probably the most entertaining live musical I've been to.