Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PAL speedup on West Wing (R2)?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife loves The West Wing and I was going to get S1 and 2 in R2 when I did an "Oh, by the way" and explained PAL speedup to her. Now, she's not sure if it will annoy her to where she can't enjoy the show. Could someone who has these sets comment to how bad/noticeable the speedup is?
Old 07-27-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...it's immensely annoying... it's... the timing is way off... it's... those helium voices... it's... the scratchy music... it's... oh, what's the use...

. . . . . .
Old 07-27-03, 08:56 AM

Not sure if this will affect the West Wing. West is shot on film (I think) but shot for TV. I don't know if they shoot film based shows at 30fps or 24fps like movies are. If it is 24fps then speedup becomes an issue. If it is at 30fps then I'm not even sure how those are converted to 25fps PAL so I don't know if speedup is a problem there.
Old 07-27-03, 10:20 AM

There is no way anyone can notice it at all, if they say they can well. I and millions of others do not notice anything happening at all, its just a load of lies, unless you know and are obsessive its just silly not to buy a dvd for this problem. I have hundreds of dvds, 2 versions of some, and comparing them, there is no noticable difference at all. Go ahead and buy it, some people are just obsesive, and dont like the idea of speeding up, even if they cannot tell. There loss.
Old 07-27-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Romerojpg
There is no way anyone can notice it at all, if they say they can well. I and millions of others do not notice anything happening at all, its just a load of lies, unless you know and are obsessive its just silly not to buy a dvd for this problem. I have hundreds of dvds, 2 versions of some, and comparing them, there is no noticable difference at all. Go ahead and buy it, some people are just obsesive, and dont like the idea of speeding up, even if they cannot tell. There loss.
Agreed....

Not to mention my West Wing Season 2 - Part 2 just shipped out yesterday from Amazon along with the second part of Friends Season 9. Can't wait for them to realese West Wing Season 3!!
Old 07-28-03, 12:53 AM

I would tell you what the most annoying thing of the whole "PAL vs NTSC" thing is.. but truth be told, the most annoying thing about the debate is the debate itself.

Several years ago I would have gone into battle, arguing for the merits of PAL over a stardard often known to its friends as "Never Twice The Same Colour" - but, unlike others, I've moved on.

My opinion? I have the 1st series and half of the 2nd series on dvd. I've very happy with them. In that regard at least, I have no complaints.

Hemulen
Old 07-28-03, 03:36 AM

I don't have these on DVD but if they are sped up and you have a good ear for music and have heard the theme song a million times already you may be able to notice a slight change of pitch. It's mildly interesting to me when this happens, not annoying, and I get annoyed pretty easy. I truly would not worry about it at all.

People in PAL countries might be able to check this out by obtaining a copy of the theme song from a non video / dvd source, and comparing it to what they're used to hearing.

Oh, and it'll be released in R4 (which is mostly cheaper than R2) on Sept 10, if you're not in a rush.
Old 07-28-03, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Haha...

Well "COOL NEW MEMBER" something you need to learn is that it IS there...and people DO notice it. You may not have an ear for it, but rest assured...I and millions of others can notice a shift in pitch.

I have the first 2 seasons of Will and Grace and trust me, it's DEFINITELY noticeable.

Everything that Romero said is his opinion as this is mine. However, PAL speedup is a fact. Nothing can dispute that. Not even Romero and his apparently perfect ears.
Old 07-28-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's noticeable (at least, I certainly notice it). But I do not find it annoying or distracting in the slightest.

And most people would not notice it if it wasn't pointed out to them... and some don't even notice it after it is.

Go ahead and buy The West Wing. It won't be a problem.
Old 07-28-03, 11:56 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
['nuff said]

Asked and answered.

Closing thread.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk