Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ring DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-03, 05:46 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ring DVD (has spoilers, kinda)

I need people's opinion about something I'm noticing about this DVD and possibly others. If anyone has seen this movie in the theaters AND on DVD, can you confirm that the DVD has cut out scenes that were in the theater version and placed them in the "Deleted Scenes" section of the DVD (in this DVD it's not called "Deleted Scenes" it's called "Don't Watch This")
There are a few scenes that I recall were in the theater version but aren't in the DVD movie, but in the Deleted Scenes section instead. One scene is where Rachel's ex-boyfriend, Noah, has to go (to Rachel's house I think) to get the video. When he walks in we see the back of a reclining chair with a chubby girl laying back in it. She's a friend of Rachel's (I think) and is babysitting her son Aidan. I remember this scene from the theater because she made a joke about the video being some "home video" and was laughing and then the audience was laughing because we all knew she was going to die later on.
Another scene was in the beginning of the movie, at the family gathering after the teen girl was killed. Rachel was talking with the girl's mother (in the girl's room I think), and Rachel was asking if her daughter was into any kind of bad stuff like drugs. Her mother said she knew her daughter and her daughter tells her everything. Then Rachel said something to the effect, "She didn't tell you she had a boyfriend". Then they talk about how they found her daughter in the closet. Her mother was standing next to the closet door and she slid it open and then the camera cuts to the scene of her daughter sitting down inside the closet dead. But that's not how it was in the DVD movie.
And in another scene, close to the end of the movie. Noah returns to the Shelter Mountain Inn. He walks into the check-in room but finds nobody there. In the backroom the tv is on and there's water everywhere (you know what that means). He goes outside to the dock where he finds blood spots and follows them to the edge of the dock. He sees a boat out in the middle of the lake and it's still tied to the dock. He begins reeling the boat in and finds the dead inn manager in the boat. I SWEAR this scene was in the theater version but it was cut out from the DVD movie. In fact, now that I think about it, almost all the scenes in the Deleted Scenes section (except for some of those artsy spooky scenes) were in the theater version. One quick scene was when Rachel was going through the teen girl's room to try and find the video. She was going through her drawers that were filled with other videos. I distinctly remember this scene but they cut this out. Someone please tell me I'm not imagining this. Any die-hard fans that have seen both the theater version and the DVD version tell me my mind's not playing tricks on me. If it's true, the question is why are the companies that make the DVDs doing this and why haven't more people noticed and made a commotion about it? It really detracts from the whole enjoyment of the movie. Unless of course I am imagining things... What do you guys think?

Last edited by mrspivy; 07-27-03 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-27-03, 08:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm not going to go point-by-point through your post, but having seen the film in both theaters and on DVD I can confirm that there are NO DIFFERENCES. The version on the DVD is exactly the same as what was shown in theaters.
Old 07-27-03, 08:58 AM

i havent seen any of the scenes that you talked about, especially the inn keeper .. like Grouncho said, it's the same movie, man.
Old 07-27-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm backing the previous two posts: same movie.
Old 07-27-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ditto here. I just saw the DVD again the other night with the deleted scenes afterwards. Those scenes were definitely not included in the theatrical release.
Old 07-27-03, 03:58 PM
Cool New Member

I don't know what's going on then. Maybe I'm watching a different theater version then because I KNOW I've seen these deleted scenes before. Going to have to look into this more.
Old 07-27-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I definitely remember hearing the line about "you didn't know she had a boyfriend" and I DEFINITELY remember them cutting to the dead girl in the closet looking all nasty. The other two scenes you mention I don't remember seeing though so who knows. However I have not checked out the DVD.
Old 07-27-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just reading your post I think I remember seeing all of those scenes. I can't recall of I saw them in the theater or not, or if they were in the DVD movie or just the deleted scenes section. I think I'll have to watch the DVD over again.
Old 07-28-03, 02:31 AM
Cool New Member

Oh I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one that noticed this. If spainlinx has seen the theatre version but not the DVD and remembers that scene, then I'm pretty sure it is true. The DVD version is not the same as the movie version. And that pisses me off! While we're on this topic, another movie that I think has this same problem is Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I only remember this one scene off the top of my head. Do you guys remember the part in which Harry and Ron drink that potion in order to transform into Crabbe and Goyle so they can question Malfoy? When the potion starts wearing off and Harry and Ron start turning back into themselves, they run out of the room where Malfoy is. Now, I remember, and my cousin whom I saw the movie in the theaters with remembers this too, after they run out of the room, Crabbe and Goyle have woken up and stumble into the hallway, where they bump into Harry and Ron who still look like Crabbe and Goyle. The camera is on all four of them staring at each other. This scene was cut out of the DVD movie and put into the Deleted Scenes section! And I just remembered another scene. Right before they drink the potion they have to make sure Crabbe and Goyle aren't conscious and walking around so they drug some muffins with a sleeping potion and float them in the air for Crabbe and Goyle to see and eat. After they fall asleep, in the theater version, Ron and Harry drag their bodies into a closet. In the DVD version, it's not there, but in the Deleted Scenes section! Somebody should alert others about this and find out why the DVD makers are doing this.
Old 07-28-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cliff notes please?

it's the same film. the "do not watch this" section has scenes that are in the film and arent. some are just the extended version. simple as that.
Old 07-28-03, 06:09 AM

Maybe you went to a test screening of The Ring...

...because the deleted scenes were not in the movie I saw at the theater...and I actually seen it twice.
Old 07-28-03, 08:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Again, IT'S THE EXACT SAME MOVIE. Period. End of story. There doesn't need to be any more debate.

mrspivy,

How did you see the "theatrical version" of this film? Did you go and pay money, or did you see a preview version...or something elese?
Old 07-28-03, 10:37 AM
Rest in Peace

I have a sealed edition of "The Ring" that friggin movie is scary. I traded the one I had on the DVD exchange forum.

This movie simular to "The Changeling" with George C. Scott, the drowned boy wanted to be found and punishment done to those who were still alive. Like "The Ring" he kept killing people even after he was found, and was to be buried.
Old 07-28-03, 04:19 PM
Cool New Member

Groucho it's not the same movie because spainlinx and I remember a scene from the theater that wasn't in the DVD movie and spainlinx hasn't even seen the DVD movie yet.

When I say theater version I simply mean the movie shown at the theaters. It wasn't a test screening or preview because I saw it fairly late after it came out.

Jackskeleton, the extended scenes are what I'm talking about. They were the scenes I saw at the theater.
Old 07-29-03, 11:50 AM

It's the same movie.

You are crazy
Old 07-29-03, 01:09 PM

Actually the fact that they are extended scenes makes sense. I still haven't checked it out (I was busy with an Alien marathon) but I will tonight. I am sure that they are exactly the same.

One thing that I used to notice is that a lot of moveis will show scenes in their trailers that end up cut from the movie. It used to happen a lot. The most prominent one that I remember was Short Circuit.

I also had an argument like this with a friend who is "always right" or likes to think he is anyway. The movie was Ace Ventura and we were watching it on TV I think (this was quite a few years ago). A scene came on and he said that it wasn't in the film originally. I had seen the scene before and so I knew that it wasn't new. We argured for the longest time. Eventually we bet, and then ran down to the video store and rented it. I won the bet.
Old 07-30-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw the movie in theaters twice. The first was a test screening about 5 weeks before it was to open. The second was the day it opened. The scenes described by the OP were definetly not in the movie. Just to be sure, I checked with my friend who ran the screening, and he was positive they were not in the movie either. This reminds me of reading another post about how Ferris Bueller was changed from the theater to DVD to TV, and how the OP was positive certain scenes were removed for the DVD. In the end, they were just TV filler spots added in.
Old 07-30-03, 07:28 PM

Yeah, TV versions have footage to fill time.

I'm wondering if certain movies do change during theatrical releases tho. This is an old example but I saw Ace Ventura 1 in a theatre w/a friend who was seeing it for the second time and when he carries his package into the elevator at the start, I saw a cut into the next scene but my friend stopped me there to tell me that his first viewing included Ace holding his box out for the elevator doors to open and shut on a few times. I don't see my friend dreaming that up but does anyone else remember?
Old 07-30-03, 07:35 PM

Yup, I remember that scene with the box being slammed in the elevator doors.
Old 08-01-03, 04:37 PM
Cool New Member

So what does all this mean then? Do some places show different versions that include the parts used for trailers? Some of these "extended scenes" last more than 30 seconds so I don't know how I could be imagining watching all of them on a trailer and then at the theater. All I know is, something ain't right, it's not the same for everybody.
Old 08-01-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are you sure you didn't see these scenes in a making of special on TV? It is possible they showed the scenes in the special, but were cut for the theatrical release. Or maybe you are confusing these scenes with scenes that were in the original Japanese version?
Old 08-01-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
People are crazy. simple as that.
Old 08-01-03, 10:59 PM
Cool New Member

Or maybe you are confusing these scenes with scenes that were in the original Japanese version?
No because....it was in english!! There's no special on tv. I'm talking about differences between theater versions and DVDs and someone else just brought up another issue about theaters not showing the same version.
Old 08-01-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

just cause two people say the sky is purple.. doesn't make it so.
Old 08-02-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mr. Spivy.

The DVD release of the 2002 film The Ring contains the exact same cut of the film that was shown in theaters in general release.

It is the same with Harry Potter & The Chamber Of Secrets.

I have checked.

You are, most likely, confusing these scenes that 'were in the film' with shots from trailers, or you're imagining that the scenes in the deleted scenes were in the theatrical release. This is common, so don't feel bad. You just made a simple mistake, that's all.

Did you see a pre-release showing? A test screening? A downloaded bootleg? That's the only other logical reason.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.