Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost in Space question/gripe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

if Earth has a natural resource problem why do they waste so much by launching the Jupiter 1 in that big frame instead of just building it in orbit?
Old 07-26-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Earth wasted a lot of its natural resources just by making this p.o.s. movie in the first place (I'm assuming you're talking about the godawful 1998 one with Matt LeBlanc)
Old 07-26-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
that's the one, it's on tnt now and I was too lazy to change channels after Space Cowboys

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Earth wasted a lot of its natural resources just by making this p.o.s. movie in the first place (I'm assuming you're talking about the godawful 1998 one with Matt LeBlanc)
Old 07-27-03, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the movie was good.

I'll never forget when that DVD arrived from Reel.com. I picked it up just before going camping for the weekend. I stared at the DVD for 3 days just wishing I was home to see it. Being a New Line DVD is was pretty well packed and that was beofre most studios starting doing DVDs the right way.

After that weekend I knew I had to get a portable DVD player. It goes with me on every trip.
Old 07-27-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I never liked the original series, so I gave the movie no thought when it came out. However, I got it as one of my five free DVDs back in the day, so I gave it a shot and actually liked it. Still don't like the series though.

As for your question, if they were that bad off, then they might have chosen the easiest way of launching the ship without regard to resources since they were fairly certain the mission would succeed.

If you listen to the commentary on the DVD, there's actually the seeds of a neat idea for a sequel. I'm sure we'll never see it though.
Old 07-27-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked the movie. I had an idea when it came out that the series should be 3 movies. The 2nd would be another planet they find and the 3rd would involve them finally finding the planet they wanted to go to in the first place.
Old 07-27-03, 04:58 PM
Rest in Peace

I'm with Milo Bloom I never did like the TV series, but I sure liked it's star Guy Williams. Walt Disney's Zorro starring Guy Williams episode after episode I liked him and his horses name, tornado (tor nod doe), and the adventures he got into and out of.

For space series other than Star Trek I liked Battlestar Galactica much better, Space 1999 with 2 of Mission Impossible that were Married, one was Martin Landau. Martin Landau, last seen as Fox Mulder fathers friend in the X-Files movie.
Old 07-27-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also thought the movie was good, much better than what I've read in various reviews on it. I mean, it was certainly not the best sci fi in history, but it was good, and the plot made sense (one of the common themes in bad reviews I read at the time was that it had no plot.)

I also would like to see them release a sequel, if not two. A trilogy would be pefect.
Old 07-27-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I liked the movie. Not nearly as bad as the critics said.

Plus it was a cool dvd.
Old 07-27-03, 08:13 PM

Plus good special effects.

Too bad there will never be a sequel.
Old 07-27-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was a decent movie. might get it on dvd
Old 07-27-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought this DVD a long time ago when I found it mispriced at a store. I still hate myself for wasting money on it.

I'm pretty forgiving of most films, but this one drove me nuts. I think what ruined it the most for me was the visual effects. IMO, this movie had some of the worst CGI I've ever seen. Textures just weren't as real as they should have been. It all looked like a bad video game. Then there's that stupid stupid monkey-looking-alien-thing. It looked like a bad cartoon character.