Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does Martin Lawrence get the first credit or Will Smith?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Will Smith a bigger star? Wasn't he a bigger star when the first flick came out?
Old 07-25-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When the first came out both were probably of equal star status, at least in the theatrical movie sense. Martin Lawrence had first billing on the first movie, so I suspect Will Smith was able to put his ego in check and allow the billing to stay the same.
Old 07-25-03, 11:18 PM
Rest in Peace

Kube you forgot to name the movie, but I am guessing it's "Bad Boys". Top billing has wrecked a number of top stars
like Abbott and Costelo. Lou Costello broke up the duo. Bud Abbott was the straight man and Lou Costello was the funny man yet costello got 2nd billing.

Martin Lawrence has always been a actor where Will Smith came from a hip hop singing career. I think they should be billed side by side, top biling has broke to many stars. Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis billing was the break up, Dean being the straight man and Lewis being the funny man. IMHO
Old 07-25-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Martin Lawrence hasn't always been an actor. He started off in showbiz as a stand up comic.

Maybe Martin Lawrence gets top billing because his name comes first alphabetically? Will Smith is definitely the bigger star, but he doesn't seem like the type to care who gets top billing.

Old 07-26-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Maybe Martin Lawrence gets top billing because his name comes first alphabetically? Will Smith is definitely the bigger star, but he doesn't seem like the type to care who gets top billing.

I am sure Will Smith is happy having the bigger check since I would bet he got a bit more money for this.

Will Smith is the bigger star and his movies have on average grossed more than Martin Lawrence's movies.

Martin:Total (16 movies): $701,122,916
Average: $43,820,182
(Bad Boys II gross as of 7/22/03)

Will:Total (12 movies): $1,237,195,432
Average: $103,099,619
(Bad Boys II gross as of 7/22/03)
Old 07-26-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how do you prevent this? overlap the names? one has to be listed first?

if you put one on top of the other that doesnt help. either alphabetically or above their pictures on the cover/poster.

its not even that big of a deal. friggin babies.
Old 07-26-03, 12:48 AM
Suspended

Man, who gives a fsck. As long as I get my check, you can put my fscking name in the end credit behind the janitor's name.

Those who broke up 'cause of billing can go fsck 'emselves.
Old 07-26-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Obviously us normal people don't understand the top billing problems, but I think actors are quite different creatures. Remember, a lot of people in showbiz got there because they wanted to be as famous as possible, and receiving top billing is quite the status symbol to people who live for fame.

Me, I'm of the same mind as the "just give me the damn check" people.
Old 07-26-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Martin Lawrence got top billing in the first one. So why change it for the sequel? The same thing happened last year with Men In Black II. Tommy Lee Jones retained top billing just like in the first film.

Besides, Will Smith's track record lately when headlining a movie hasn't been great. Wild Wild Worst, The Legend of Bagger Vance, and Ali all tanked. MIIB and BB II didn't. Do the math.
Old 07-26-03, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Doughboy
Besides, Will Smith's track record lately when headlining a movie hasn't been great. Wild Wild Worst, The Legend of Bagger Vance, and Ali all tanked. MIIB and BB II didn't. Do the math.
I see what you're saying but I doubt the two are related. I think the reason those three movies he headlined tanked were because they weren't that good. And its arguable whether or not MIIB and BB2 were good but I think their sucess has to do with the success of MIB and BB respectivly and not whose name came first on the poster.

I think top billing is overrated. If both names are on the poster than people know that both actors are in the movie, regardless of whose name is first.
Old 07-26-03, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you ever saw ads for Rush Hour 2, print, train, tv, Chan and Tucker's names were always switched around, sometimes Chan got first billing, somtimes Tucker did.
Old 07-26-03, 11:37 AM
Banned

Lawrence had top billing in the first movie, just like Tommy Lee Jones had top billing in the first Men In Black. But in Men In Black II, both Jones and Smith's names appeared on the screen at the same time.
Old 07-26-03, 11:51 AM
Banned

I was thinking that was odd. Cause I sure didn't pay money for Bad Boys 2 to see Martin Lawrence.
Old 07-26-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
The funny thing is that if you look at the different billboards for BBII, Will Smith's image is always bigger and in front of Martin Lawrence's.
Old 07-26-03, 12:52 PM
Rest in Peace

Martin Lawrence hasn't always been an actor. He started off in showbiz as a stand up comic.

Your missing the point Martin Lawrence will always be an actor whether or not he started as a stand up comic, whereas Will Smith first started as a singer!

www.imdb.com you can't look up a singer unless the singer has done something in video, Lawrence OTOH would showup because he was either seen as a stand up comic, in video or a movie as a stand up comedian.
Old 07-26-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay. This thread is in the running.

-----

I am pretty sure the actors didn't care who came first.

-----

Check out The Towering Inferno for a far more clear answer to the problem of billing.
Old 07-26-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How weird. I always thought it was alphabetical ordering.
Old 07-26-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by danol
Your missing the point Martin Lawrence will always be an actor whether or not he started as a stand up comic, whereas Will Smith first started as a singer!

www.imdb.com you can't look up a singer unless the singer has done something in video, Lawrence OTOH would showup because he was either seen as a stand up comic, in video or a movie as a stand up comedian.
Umm, no you're missing the point. You said that "Martin Lawrence has always been an actor." I said that he hasn't always been an actor, he started off as a standup comic.

Besides, how many records has Will Smith made the past few years?

Old 07-26-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm wondering was this a contractual obligation. Perhaps when they signed the contracts back in 1994, there was the option of sequels in mind already.

Why do I think this? Well, Don Simpson's name is still, somehow, in the credits.

Originally posted by atari2600
how do you prevent this? overlap the names? one has to be listed first?
Originally posted by conscience
Check out The Towering Inferno for a far more clear answer to the problem of billing.
Dammit Conscience, I was just about to say that too...
Old 07-26-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Umm, no you're missing the point. You said that "Martin Lawrence has always been an actor." I said that he hasn't always been an actor, he started off as a standup comic.

Besides, how many records has Will Smith made the past few years?
A bunch.

1997 - Big Willie Style
1999 - Willennium
2002 - Born to Reign

You're absolutly right on the Martin point also. Like Smith he went from a different industry (Comedy/Music), to a TV show, to the movies. Just being a stand up comedian doesn't make you an actor.
Old 07-26-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JNielsen
A bunch.

1997 - Big Willie Style
1999 - Willennium
2002 - Born to Reign

You're absolutly right on the Martin point also. Like Smith he went from a different industry (Comedy/Music), to a TV show, to the movies. Just being a stand up comedian doesn't make you an actor.
To me, the past few years means 3. Couple means 2, few means 3. That said, according to you, he's made 1 record in the past 3 years.

According to IMDB, including films he is currently making, he's made 6 movies:

Sharkslayer (currently filming)
I, Robot (currently filming)
Bad Boys II (2003)
MIB II (2002)
Ali (2001)
The Legend of Bagger Vance (2000)

If your definition of "few" goes back to 1997, you'd need to add 3 more movies to that list:

Wild Wild West (1999)
Enemy of the State (1998)
MIB (1997)

It seems to me that his music career has taken a backseat to his acting career. And why not? He's been much more successful as an actor. I'm sure it's been more lucrative to him as well.

Old 07-26-03, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by danol
Your missing the point Martin Lawrence will always be an actor whether or not he started as a stand up comic, whereas Will Smith first started as a singer
The word you're looking for is rapper.
Old 07-26-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i always thought both of Bad Boys movies supposedly centered on Martin's character & Will's character as his "side-kick"
although in reality, Will Smith tend to steal the movie...

just my thought
Old 07-27-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
To me, the past few years means 3. Couple means 2, few means 3. That said, according to you, he's made 1 record in the past 3 years.

According to IMDB, including films he is currently making, he's made 6 movies:

Sharkslayer (currently filming)
I, Robot (currently filming)
Bad Boys II (2003)
MIB II (2002)
Ali (2001)
The Legend of Bagger Vance (2000)

If your definition of "few" goes back to 1997, you'd need to add 3 more movies to that list:

Wild Wild West (1999)
Enemy of the State (1998)
MIB (1997)

It seems to me that his music career has taken a backseat to his acting career. And why not? He's been much more successful as an actor. I'm sure it's been more lucrative to him as well.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. While appearing in several movies in one year is very common, many musicians don't release an album a year (or several a year). 3 albums in a 5 years span seems normal (although I'm no musical expert).

Not to say Will Smith isn't focusing more on movies, but you have to compare them to their respective industries.
Old 07-27-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

why cant it just be alphabetical? i think you guys are looking into it waay too much.

-NiCK

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.