Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Digital/HDTV/HT for Dummies [many questions]

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Hello all,
I've read a lot of the faqs, both here and in other places, about the current/coming generation of televisions and broadcasting, but some of them are a little technical for me. So basically I'm going to restate in layman's terms some of my understanding of the issues, and hopefully you will not be too brutal when you tell me how wrong I am ; ) [My way of learning is rephrasing the knowledge and getting confirmation on it, so that's where this is coming from. Plus when we actually start making the decision, I'm going to need the 'TV for Dummies' version when discussing it with the missus.]
Any assistance/clarification will be greatly appreciated.

Digital vs. HDTV:
  • Digital [versus analog] broadcasting is just the method by which the signal arrives at the TV? Digital has the _potential_ to carry a better picture, but it also has greater 'bandwidth' so it could carry alternate channels instead [secondary audio programming, etc.]? A signal that leaves its source as digital could be downconverted at its relay station [the local network affiliate] to analog, so there might not be a difference anyway?
  • HDTV is showing a picture/image with higher resolution, so this obviously should result in a better picture. HDTV has to be digital [to carry the additional info], but digital doesn't have to be HDTV? HDTV currently shows most benefit on DVD's that are played on a progressive scan player, since very few channels, if any, are broadcast in HDTV?
  • If a non-progressive dvd player outputs to an HDTV, will there be a noticeable improvement? If a progressive dvd player outputs to a non-HDTV, will there be a noticeable improvement?
  • HDTV Monitor: does not inherently include an HD tuner, so it cannot show HD signals off the bat. Does it receive them, and downconvert to analog, or does it not receive them at all?
  • Set-top boxes: I see the fine print on all these TV's saying an 'optional set-top box to decode over-the-air digital TV broadcast.' Does this mean if I use cable or satellite [I'm on satellite], I'm fine? Do those sat/cable receivers count as the 'optional set top box'? Will I notice an improved picture using satellite on an HDTV?
  • Component video is the best video picture, following by Svideo, then Composite, then RCA/RF?
  • Sound: Optical/TOSlink are the same thing? Which is better, Optical or Coax?
  • So, ideally, if one were to want the 'best' features/connections currently available, widespread, and reasonably affordable, one would want an digital HDTV monitor [assuming they don't need OTA, and are just using cable or satellite boxes], with component video connection, with a progressive scan dvd player and an optical audio connection?
  • Progressive scan: What, honestly, is the layman's difference between say 780p and 1080i, or whatever? Do I just want a tv that has the highest number ending in P?
  • If that is the case, which brands of widely available [Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, Now!, etc.]HDTV monitors are generally accepted as the 'best,' with regards to Price, Quality, Durability, Picture, Features?

Thanks for all your knowledge and patience; I don't buy a tv often, [nor do I plunk down 2.5k often] and I want to make an educated decision.
Old 07-24-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
HDTV currently shows most benefit on DVD's that are played on a progressive scan player, since very few channels, if any, are broadcast in HDTV?
DVD's are 480p and not HDTV. There are a number of true HD broadcasts both on DSS and OTA.

If a non-progressive dvd player outputs to an HDTV, will there be a noticeable improvement? If a progressive dvd player outputs to a non-HDTV, will there be a noticeable improvement?
Improvement compared to what? The TV needs to be able to accept the input.

Component video is the best video picture, following by Svideo, then Composite, then RCA/RF?
DVI is the "best" if you have the equipment.

Sound: Optical/TOSlink are the same thing? Which is better, Optical or Coax?
Many prior threads on this.

Some links

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...p?s=&forumid=6

http://www.hdtv.net/faq.htm

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_1.htm

Good luck.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 07-24-03 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-24-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm no super expert (and don't know the answer to all your questions) but here's what I can answer:

--There is a noticeable improvement with a progressive scan DVD player on a HDTV.
--an HDTV cannot receive the HD signals without a tuner. Therefore, only the tuner receives the signal.
--The optional set-top tuner: with satellite you need a specific HD receiver (can be an additional $500 or more). I just got a HD tuner for only local channels for $300 (Samsung T151). Cable might include HD channels with their digital box, but it depends on your provider.
--Depending on the set you buy, your current standard definition signal can look anywhere from pure crap to pretty good. That's because the HD monitor amplifies the poor quality of the signal a normal TV wouldn't. Ask your sales person to show a DirecTV or local channel broadcast (one that's not HD) to compare.
--DVI/firewire will provide the best picture quality as it's digital from source to TV. Your list is correct beyond that.
--Optical or coax: there's some debate which is better for sound.
--In layman's terms, yes you want a TV with the highest number ending in "P"
--"Widely" available brands: Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Toshiba. Pioneer is also one to look into, but it's more expensive and not "widely" available.

I went with the Toshiba 51H83 from Best Buy and love it so far.
Old 07-24-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I consider myself somewhat of an expert so I will answer your questions:

Digital [versus analog] broadcasting is just the method by which the signal arrives at the TV?
correct.
Digital has the _potential_ to carry a better picture, but it also has greater 'bandwidth' so it could carry alternate channels instead [secondary audio programming, etc.]?
digital signals take up less bandwidth on the airwaves than analog, so you can fit more broadcasts on a specified radio spectrum with digital than you can with analog. think of it this way: an analog signal takes up the size of a big box, while a digital signal takes up the size of a small box. you can fit many small boxes in a big box when you ship it, so you can send more in the same space.
A signal that leaves its source as digital could be downconverted at its relay station [the local network affiliate] to analog, so there might not be a difference anyway?
I'm not entirely sure on this, but all you have to worry about is that the only difference is whether the signal that reaches your home is digital or analog.

HDTV is showing a picture/image with higher resolution, so this obviously should result in a better picture. HDTV has to be digital [to carry the additional info], but digital doesn't have to be HDTV?
correct.
HDTV currently shows most benefit on DVD's that are played on a progressive scan player, since very few channels, if any, are broadcast in HDTV?
it's not a matter of TV channels being HD, it's a matter of the broadcast (the specific TV show) being HD. progressive scan DVDs are not HD. they are progressive scan, which is not regular TV but not HD either. It's called enhanced definition and lies in between HD and regular standard definition TV.

If a non-progressive dvd player outputs to an HDTV, will there be a noticeable improvement?
if you use a non-progressive player on a regular TV, and then use the same player on a HDTV, there should be no difference if the two TVs are identical in every other way. HDTVs do not improve the picture quality of non-progressive dvd players (altho a lot of HDTVs have their own "progressive mode" built in, which converts regular DVD to progressive. but these "progressive enabling chips" built into HDTVs are generally not as good as the ones in progressive players
If a progressive dvd player outputs to a non-HDTV, will there be a noticeable improvement?
a non-HDTV cannot accept a progressive dvd player's progressive video output. you will get either a blank screen or garbled nonsense.

HDTV Monitor: does not inherently include an HD tuner, so it cannot show HD signals off the bat. Does it receive them, and downconvert to analog, or does it not receive them at all?
HDTV monitors almost always have built-in analog tuners, so they can receive and display analog signals.

Set-top boxes: I see the fine print on all these TV's saying an 'optional set-top box to decode over-the-air digital TV broadcast.' Does this mean if I use cable or satellite [I'm on satellite], I'm fine? Do those sat/cable receivers count as the 'optional set top box'? Will I notice an improved picture using satellite on an HDTV?
sat and cable generally are not HD. but they are digital. this is because the sat and cable companies want to jam as many possible broadcasts (tv shows) in as little space as possible. if they switch to HD, then suddenly they get better picture quality, but less broadcasts, since HD uses up more bandwidth. so these companies will need to expand their bandwidth to accomodate HD, but this costs money and they are not willing to do that easily. also, there are sat/cable receivers that are also capable of handling HD broadcasts. your current sat receiver almost certainly does not support HD. You will need to find a new receiver that supports both sat and HD. you will probably notice a slight improvement using sat on an HDTV since a sat sends digital signals and your HDTV is optimized for receiving digital signals.

Component video is the best video picture, following by Svideo, then Composite, then RCA/RF?
correct. DVI is even better than component, because it is the only connection listed that is purely digital.

Sound: Optical/TOSlink are the same thing? Which is better, Optical or Coax?
optical/toslink are the same thing. optical and coax: for most people (99% of the population) it doesn't matter. use whichever is convenient for you. if you have a super-high-end audio system (thousands and thousands of dollars) you may notice a difference in sound quality.

So, ideally, if one were to want the 'best' features/connections currently available, widespread, and reasonably affordable, one would want an digital HDTV monitor [assuming they don't need OTA, and are just using cable or satellite boxes], with component video connection, with a progressive scan dvd player and an optical audio connection?
for most people this is the easiest and most affordable way to get the best audio and video quality.

Progressive scan: What, honestly, is the layman's difference between say 780p and 1080i, or whatever? Do I just want a tv that has the highest number ending in P?
you need to read the "HDTV Myths, Misnomers and Mysteries" Thread at the top of this forum for a good explanation on 720p, 1080i, etc. In short, you want a TV that supports ALL of the following: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i. 480i is regular TV. 480p is progressive DVD. 720p and 1080i are two different formats for HD - you want both if possible.

If that is the case, which brands of widely available [Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, Now!, etc.]HDTV monitors are generally accepted as the 'best,' with regards to Price, Quality, Durability, Picture, Features?
In general, buy whatever you want that has the combination of features and price you need. But don't buy junk like Advent or Apex or other generic brands.

Last edited by Joshic; 07-24-03 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-24-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing to add: it's a little difficult to find non-megabucks TVs that display 720P natively. 1080i is much more common and cheaper. Pretty much any TV that displays only 1080i will upconvert a 720P signal and it will look great. They are competing standards: some people say 720P is better, some say 1080i is better. Different TV networks broadcast HDTV on one or the other but never both. X-Box has a 720P mode that looks insanely good on TVs that can show it.

Lastly: HDTV is higher resolution and noticably better looking than red laser DVD. Upcoming Blu-Ray (and other competing standards) will be able to produce true HDTV resolution.
Old 07-24-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check this out:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Home_video/4...ag=vidcalendar

I found the guide pretty helpful in both TV research and buying.
Old 07-26-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Lot of info, but y'all have helped make it more user-friendly.
Thanks a lot! Probably going to surf the stores today and see what I see, armed with this knowledge.