24 Cliffhanger Was A Cheat: Sutherland

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-03, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
24 Cliffhanger Was A Cheat: Sutherland

I couldn't agree more:

By BILL BRIOUX -- Toronto Sun

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -- There'll be no more cliffhanger finales on 24 if Kiefer Sutherland has his way.

The Emmy-nominated actor told a scrum of reporters at the Fox press tour last week that he strongly disagrees with how this past season of the real-time series ended.

"We have an audience committed to watch a full day," he said. "That day should have a conclusion."

Last May's Season Two finale ended with badly injured agent Jack Bauer (Sutherland) somehow beating the daylights out of a group of terrorists but unable to stop an assassination attempt on U.S. president David Palmer (played by Dennis Haysbert). Did Palmer die at the end? We'll have to wait until the show returns Oct. 28 to find out for sure,
Spoiler:
but Haysbert was also at the Fox party, larger than life and admitting to being back "in some capacity."

A few other juicy details have surfaced, but, as Sutherland says, people don't really want to know. He's been stopped on the street by people pleading for him to spill the beans. As soon as he opens his mouth to tell them he can't, they shout, "No, don't! Don't!"

Spoiler:
The new season will take place two years later, with the countdown clock set to start at 1 p.m. Bauer will be teamed with a new partner. Production began last week on Season Three, and based on the scripts he's seen so far, it looks "very strong. We're nervous about it, and that's good," he says. "The pressure is on to top last season."

Sutherland prefers the way the first season ended, on a final, if deadly note. Bauer's wife Teri (Canadian actress Leslie Hope) died in the shocking final minutes. Some people were upset, but at least audiences weren't left hanging for six months, he says. "If you're going to ride this 24-hour thing with us we're going to give you an answer at the end," is how he'd like to see it.

And he has some say. Sutherland is an executive producer as well as the star. Not that anybody's job is 100% safe on this series. "There's not a single actor that can get all that comfortable on our show," he says. "We get removed rather quickly."

Cigarette tucked behind his right ear, Sutherland was backed up against a wall by a crush of critics eager to get the scoop on Season Three. He was just back from Montreal where he took a small part opposite Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke in Taking Lives.

The cool Canadian news is that Wendy Crewson, who just shot a cable movie in Calgary with Tom Selleck, is about to join 24. This would make the sixth Canadian on the series (Elisha Cuthbert, as daughter Kim, is the other regular), making the True North a real real-time resource.

"I'm the real-time guy," he joked, noting that his last film, Phone Booth (he was the menacing voice on the other end of the line) also played out in real time.

As for rumours of a 24 feature, Sutherland says nobody has talked to him about it. "I think it could be amazingly cool," he said and even has a title: 1:47.

Last edited by movieking; 07-24-03 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-24-03, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
guess I should've known there was gonna be a spoiler... my fault. :/
Old 07-24-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i stopped reading about 2 word too late... grrr....
Old 07-24-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
USE SPOILERS, Dude! ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggh!
Old 07-24-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whats with Sutherland? He's bringing the funny all off a sudden?
As for rumours of a 24 feature, Sutherland says nobody has talked to him about it. "I think it could be amazingly cool," he said and even has a title: 1:47.
Old 07-24-03, 08:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd complain about spoilers, but why bother? It's the most predictable show on television.
Old 07-24-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
spoilers? where are the spoilers? everything i've read so far has already been mentioned.
Old 07-24-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, didn't realize that there were spoilers since I had heard everything before. I will spoilerize it...
Old 07-24-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Guys, these aren't spoilers. This is truly old news, and won't affect any plot points...basically, it's just an overview of how the show will be structured this season.

One thing that strikes me is that Sutherland is thinking about making a "24" movie. This makes me think he maybe really enjoys the show, and that season 3 might not be his final season afterall...thoughts?
Old 07-24-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, it's a spoiler for those of us who didn't watch season 2 on tv and are waiting for the dvd... i'd say "the last season ended with..." is a bit of a spoiler..
Old 07-24-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mkdevo
well, it's a spoiler for those of us who didn't watch season 2 on tv and are waiting for the dvd... i'd say "the last season ended with..." is a bit of a spoiler..
exactly. I didn't come in this thread expecting to read how the second season ended...
Old 07-24-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PacMan2006
Guys, these aren't spoilers. This is truly old news, and won't affect any plot points...basically, it's just an overview of how the show will be structured this season.

One thing that strikes me is that Sutherland is thinking about making a "24" movie. This makes me think he maybe really enjoys the show, and that season 3 might not be his final season afterall...thoughts?
I think the fact that he's annoyed by the cliffhanger shows that he likes the show, or at least gives a rip about how they write it.

I think anybody waiting for the DVDs shouldn't be reading any news about 24. It's nearly impossible to talk about this show without spoilers.
Old 07-24-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mentioning anything that already aired months ago is not a spoiler. Mentioning what will happen in season three is, and that is what I have spoilerized...
Old 07-24-03, 03:50 PM
mwj

"We have an audience committed to watch a full day," he said. "That day should have a conclusion."
Truer words were never spoken. Hopefully the conclusion will be honest for season three like it was for season one.
Old 07-24-03, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
exactly. I didn't come in this thread expecting to read how the second season ended...
I understand wanting spoilers spoilered out in a general thread (like 'best/worst cliffhangers of all time', or something), but this I don't understand. You came into a thread about the ending of season 2, and didn't expect them to talk about the ending of season 2?

On the article itself, I have no problem with 24 ending on a cliffhanger if the following season acts as a direct continuation (one big, long 48 hour story). But gratuitous cliffhangers suck.

Spoiler:
Which is, unfortunately, what this one sounds like. The whole Palmer thing probably should have been left until the teaser for next season (archival news footage or something creative). Using it as a hook to keep people watching is sort of lame.

Last edited by Jlbkwrm; 07-24-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-24-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't have a problem with the cliffhanger...
Spoiler:
unless it's revealed that nothing happened to palmer. since S3 isn't picking up immediately, i would like to see some of the consequences of the attack and some permanant damage.
Old 07-24-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
I understand wanting spoilers spoilered out in a general thread (like 'best/worst cliffhangers of all time', or something), but this I don't understand. You came into a thread about the ending of season 2, and didn't expect them to talk about the ending of season 2?
Hey - I did say it was my fault... however, I guess I came in here thinking he would just be talking about the ending without revealing what actually happened. I thought it would be some news article or something about Keifer or something - I don't know. Anyway - that's what spoiler tags and spoiler warnings are for - so dummies like me don't have to assume someone's gonna spill the beans.
Old 07-25-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, it was the perfect ending for season two, which was (in spite of scattered good moments) one colossal middle finger to people who had liked the first year. Not good, but fitting.

Cast note for season 3:

Spoiler:
Kim Bauer, CTU agent.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph...