Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ignorance is Bliss!! aka Berman & Braga SPEAK! [spoilers]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-23-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from TVGuide.com

TREK TROUBLE: The crew of UPN's Enterprise were put on the defensive Tuesday at the Television Critics Assoc. press tour in Hollywood. At issue: Last season's dramatic ratings slide. "I don't think, creatively, we were doing anything wrong," huffed exec producer Brannon Braga. "It can be debated from many different angles whether there are problems with the show." That said, co-exec producer Rick Berman conceded that he and Braga decided to "ramp up the show" this season "to try to lure back some of our viewers." Asked whether Enterprise's struggles and the box office failure of Nemesis are proof that the franchise is on the decline, Berman said, "I don't think the franchise is in trouble."
And exactly how are they planning on "ramping up the show"?
9:24 am A reporter asks Moonves whether or not he ever considered pulling the plug on the struggling Enterprise. With no organic Top Model segue in sight, he's forced to answer the question directly. "I don't think we were close to it," he hedges, "[but] everything is talked about."

5:00 pm I return from another writing break to attend an Enterprise press conference. In addition to stars Scott Bakula, Jolene Blalock and Connor Trinneer, the panel includes exec producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. They all look miserable to be there — especially Braga.

5:01 pm Braga says the show's upcoming third season will be "more action oriented, faster-paced" and "we're going to be focusing a lot of our attention on a brand-new race of aliens called the Xindi."

5:13 pm Berman doesn't think "the franchise is in trouble" despite Enterprise's ratings woes and the recent box office failure of Nemesis. That said, he confirms that there are no current plans for another Trek flick. "But it's only been seven months since [Nemesis] opened, and it's not unusual that discussions for [another] film have not yet begun."

5:15 pm Blalock confirms that her T'Pol character is getting a new wig that's "longer, a little bit cuter, a little bit more girly." What's more, she's getting "a few new suits, so I can actually change clothes — because I haven't washed that brown one in the last two years." Berman adds that "as the season unfolds, T'Pol is going to start experimenting with her emotions. It's going to provide us with some fun and possibly sexy stuff."

5:16 pm Now I know who Rick Berman reminds me of: Donald Rumsfeld.

5:23 pm Without ever cracking a smile, Braga insists that he's "absolutely" still having fun doing this. (This being Star Trek, not the press conference.)

5:27 pm Asked to sum up what went wrong on Enterprise last season that led millions of viewers to beam themselves up and out, Braga says, "I don't think creatively we were doing anything wrong."
And, lastly, info on the "new" alien threats of Enterprise...
Brannon Braga, executive producer of UPN's Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that that viewers can expect to see five species of the Xindi, the new alien threat facing Capt. Archer (Scott Bakula) and his crew, in the show's upcoming third season. "Our five Xindi species are a Xindi humanoid; a Xindi reptilian; the Xindi sloth, which is evolved from a furry, arboreal creature, an arboreal primate; the Xindi insectoid; and the Xindi aquatics," Braga said in an interview.

The humanoid, reptilian and sloth Xindi will be portrayed by actors in prosthetics and costumes, Braga said. The Xindi insectoids and aquatics will be computer-generated.

"We're calling them the Xindi aquatics, and they're like dolphins and whales," Braga said. "When they're in meetings, they have to live in a big tank, in a big and murky tank. When the aquatics and the insectoids speak, of course, there's going to have to be subtitles, because the languages are just too weird."

Enterprise will come in contact with all five Xindi species, but the aliens likely won't act in unison. "There are going to be some questions as to which Xindi species believes it's the dominant species, as you might imagine would happen in a situation like that," Braga said. "In some ways Star Trek lives or dies by how interesting its alien villains are, and I think the Xindi are an interesting concept."

UPN will re-launch Enterprise in September, with a season opener appropriately entitled "The Xindi."
Old 07-23-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found this photo of Berman, Braga, and Hammer taken at an annual Lords of Satan conference:

das
Old 07-23-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
sounds awesome!
Old 07-23-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a second...

It wouldn't be all that out of bounds for T'Pol to look more femme-y. Anyone who remembers (and you certainly should), Spock's fiance T'Pring will remember that latter day (by their time reckoning) Vulcan women were capable looking like femme fatales.

It's one of the rare things that latter-day Trek misfired on, in the grand scheme of things: inflicting that Moe Howard look on female Vulcans.

Of course since this is the show that's taken a steaming whiz on continuity by inventing a ship and a design for it's exterior that flies in the face of all established timelines...I'm probably putting perfume on a pig.
Old 07-24-03, 12:13 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Weee! Lots of FX on Enterprise! And we all know Trek is all about the effects... Oh, I forgot, Enterprise isn't Trek, so what the hell.
Old 07-24-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"as the season unfolds, T'Pol is going to start experimenting with her emotions. It's going to provide us with some fun and possibly sexy stuff."
Start experimenting? But, she's the only character on Enterprise that has shown any range of emotion as it is now.
Old 07-24-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aww, who cares as long as they're getting those fat paychecks.
Old 07-24-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"I don't think creatively we were doing anything wrong."
*Sigh* It's never going to get better, is it?
Old 07-24-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, this pretty much tells me I made the right decision to stop watching this lame a$$ attempt. They actually have no clue. Wonder if they're related to Bush?
Old 07-24-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Xindi going to be pronounced "Zin-dee" or "Hin-dee"?

Might be some disquiet on the latter one...
Old 07-24-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer) Tuesday said the changes to Enterprise this year will not be skin deep.

Speaking to the Sci-Fi Wire at the Television Critics Association press tour, Bakula praised executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's efforts in retooling the series. "What you see are guys that have spent the entire hiatus trying to position the show and new scripts and new ideas, and they're rethinking everything," he said. "I'm saying to them every day, 'Think out of the box'."

Bakula's own wish for Captain Archer to toughen up in season three (story) seems to have been granted. "The idea of being the peaceful 'We-come-in-friendship' [guy]...that guy is gone," the actor said.

But Archer isn't the only character who will be changed by the Xindi's sudden attack on Earth. Commander 'Trip' Tucker, whose sister was killed in the attack, will look to Vulcan Sub-commander T'Pol for solace as he tries to deal with her death. "He may find himself more intimately involved with her than ever before," the Sci-Fi Wire said.

All this talk about the Xindi doesn't mean one of Enterprise's original storylines, the Temporal Cold War, has been forgotten. According to the report, the temporal hijinks will "become an integral part of the Xindi arc later in the season".
Link

These two are going to have to destroy that box if they hope to shake things up enough to bring viewers back.
Old 07-24-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
Is Xindi going to be pronounced "Zin-dee" or "Hin-dee"?

Might be some disquiet on the latter one...
How the heck could you get "Hin-dee" out of that?
Old 07-24-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
It wouldn't be all that out of bounds for T'Pol to look more femme-y. Anyone who remembers (and you certainly should), Spock's fiance T'Pring will remember that latter day (by their time reckoning) Vulcan women were capable looking like femme fatales.
While I don't disagree with you, I think the issue is that this show has hundreds of problems, and if you were to list them, Jolene's hair would be waaaaay down at the bottom of the list.
Old 07-24-03, 09:20 AM

Star Trek is still on the air? Wow!
Old 07-24-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Great, they are going to ramp up the action. Because we all know that Trek has always been about the action. Wall to wall action.
Old 07-24-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, T'Pol is a Vulcan and she's going to explore her emotions? Great! I suppose she's going to have sex more than once every seven years too? Wait! What's that sound? Oh yea, the sound of Enterprise being flushed down the toilet.

Well, if they give the stupid, hormonally driven fans more sex and violence with cool shoot-'em up scenes, why in the world would the care about character development and real stories? They have hot chicks and cool effects! The truly sad part is, this will probably work.

Last edited by elektra; 07-24-03 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-24-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sherm42
Great, they are going to ramp up the action. Because we all know that Trek has always been about the action. Wall to wall action.
At the very least, "wall to wall" action is better than the current "sheer boredom".
Old 07-24-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was an article in Time back before Nemisis came out, on how Star Trek had survived only because it went after the crowd that liked big breasts and big explosions instead of stuff like exploring the human condition. Berman seemed to agree with it. It was actually pretty sickening to read.
Old 07-25-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
How the heck could you get "Hin-dee" out of that?
I'm not sure if it's generalized throughout the language, but certain Spanish pronunciations of it have an "H" sound. Like Oaxaca, in Mexico, is pronounced "O-hock-ah". Even "Mexico" itself is pronounced "Me-HI-co"

You can also get a "T" sound from it in Albanian, like their nutty former dictator Enver Hoxha, whose name was pronounced "Hotha".

See, Berman and Braga have us all talking about the show...it's working!
Old 07-25-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
No No No NO NO!!!!!

that's it. next season will probably be the last.

WTH! We promise people will likey the showey more next season because um...were putting more explosions and stuff. Oh yeah and T'Pol is getting a new wardrobe that should get viewers back. Oh yeah and were introducing yet ANOTHER race the xindi that are basically a bunch of talkin CGI dolphins.

Is this a joke?! please tell me that this is a joke.

Hallmark isn't going to make any more ornaments are they.

If anyone needs me I'm going to go watch season four of TNG.
Old 07-25-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Make it Season Three and I'll bring the beer.
Old 07-25-03, 11:47 AM
razorbackfan

I was told this next season is going to be the start of some type of war, and some characters would be killed off, new ones added, and Archer is going to get a backbone, and the episodes will be pretty exciting.

Seems, from what I've been told, B&B and Paramount is getting despirate to save Enterprise.
Old 07-25-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I will watch a better Science Ficiton show on Wednesday nights. I believe it's called Angel. And, I keep hearing some good things about a superhero named Smallville. Why they name a character after a town is beyond me, because I'm told that the character is a really super man.

Then, of course, I can always watch a space station show on DVD about our "last best hope for peace". Forgot the name though, although it was the fifth station build, and, for some strange reason, it sounds like Babylon. Isn't that a middle eastern city?

Last edited by Mark Holtz; 07-25-03 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-25-03, 01:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
WANTED FOR THE MURDER OF A GREAT FRANCHISE:

Old 07-25-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MarkHoltz - I gotta agree with you there!

Bandoman - I'm your girl. I'll gladly take care of that for you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.