Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Tomb Raider 2: The Cradle of Life

MaDJoE
03-27-03, 09:01 AM
To bad it's in "Real" format but it looks okay still have to wait quicktime for best quality. The trailer looks good but who knows how it really is, thouth I think I'll go and see it everyone likes a good popcorn flick right.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/tombraider.html

mdc3000
03-27-03, 09:33 AM
wow...that was the most dull trailer I've seen for a big summer blockbuster in a long time... I am stunned at how much that trailer blew... I'm not sure how the movie will be (i didn't like the first one) but the marketing team really needs to re-evaluate what they're doing, because that was cliched dullsville....

MATT

clappj
03-27-03, 09:42 AM
Looks like a remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark...but with a better looking lead. ;)
Cradle = Ark and Globe = Medallion
I'm sure I'll watch it when it comes to DVD though. :)

neiname
03-27-03, 09:48 AM
This looks like crap...

Fooled me once with the first one, if I see this in the theater please just kick me in the nutz

Get Me Coffee
03-27-03, 10:14 AM
:down:

Dr. DVD
03-27-03, 12:32 PM
Not the best of trailers, but Angelina Jolie is soo frigggin hot! :drool:

Zodo
03-27-03, 12:42 PM
This movie looks a bit too eXtreme for me!

What, with all the crazy motorcycle and jet ski stunts, that I'm sure are absolutely necessary.

I liked the first one, but this one looks like rental only.

Pointyskull
03-27-03, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Not the best of trailers, but Angelina Jolie is soo frigggin hot! :drool:

:thumbsup:

It's not the most intellectual looking trailer (it is based on a video game character, after all)

Looks like a good Saturday matinee/get out of the heat/ogle Angeline Jolie/mindless escapism kind of flick.

Chad
03-27-03, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
:thumbsup:

It's not the most intellectual looking trailer (it is based on a video game character, after all)

Looks like a good Saturday matinee/get out of the heat/ogle Angeline Jolie/mindless escapism kind of flick.

My thoughts exactly. :)

ravan
03-27-03, 02:40 PM
I hated the first one and I really dislike ms Jolie..

Yet i saw it in the theaters and bought the dvd.. i'm sure history will repeat itself.

Rypro 525
03-27-03, 02:45 PM
My god does this look bad, I don't care how hot she looks, if we see this piece of crap, we will have to deal with more and more sequels so lets end them now.

Trigger
03-27-03, 02:56 PM
I can't get the trailer to come up. kazaalite must've messed up my hosts file so some stuff just won't come up. Anyone have a direct link or anything?

tha_dvd_man
03-27-03, 05:11 PM
I think I said this exact thing after seeing the first Tomb Raider trailer: "It looks awesome....TO THE EXTREEEEEEEME!"

I think I'll pass on this Raiders-wannabe stinker.

DVD.guy
03-27-03, 05:23 PM
Hmmm...Mrs. Bond???

Although I'd see it just for the Jolie factor :hump::drool:

harosa
03-27-03, 10:04 PM
For everything going on, a very underwhelming trailer, no big pop.

movieking
03-30-03, 08:50 AM
I used to have a major thing for Jolie, but she is just too damned weird for me now (Billy Bob Thorton? Your Brother? Sheesh!) Regardless, the trailer looks really boring (saw it before The Core last night)...

clemente
03-30-03, 01:18 PM
Really a completely underwhelming trailer.

I didn't really care for the first one, I didn't hate, but it was very "blah!".

Could I be convinced to see this one, sure, but not with that trailer. Talk about paint by numbers. Though it did have some nifty stunt work.

Goat3001
03-30-03, 04:21 PM
Looks like it will be ok. It'll probably be like every other sequal and be inferior to the first, so I'm not expecting anything other then 2 hours of decent entertainment.

C.H.U.D.
03-31-03, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by ravan
I hated the first one and I really dislike ms Jolie..

Yet i saw it in the theaters and bought the dvd.. i'm sure history will repeat itself.

Why did you buy the DVD if you hate the film and dislike the star?

Rogue588
06-24-03, 11:36 PM
...turn out to be a COMMERCIAL??

so far i've seen two. the first, i can't remember what product they were shilling...but the latest on TV now is for jeep...

sundog
06-24-03, 11:43 PM
Don't hold your breath. Even the regular trailers are just commercials for the video game.

Seantn
06-25-03, 12:52 AM
I thought it was gonna say "THAT DOESN'T SUCK".

I would say "no" to that.

ArchibaldTuttle
06-25-03, 12:56 AM
I was wondering the same exact thing, I totally want one of those panisonic thingies that does everything though

I seriously hope this movie bombs so they don't make a third one

Panda Phil
06-25-03, 04:26 AM
Commercials doubling as movie trailers. Great, we have now officially hit a new low.

Can't we please just round up all these marketing weasels and put them into camps?

Drexl
06-25-03, 08:05 AM
I'll bet we don't see one that doesn't advertise the movie Tomb Raider II.

resinrats
06-25-03, 09:04 AM
When is this movie coming out? I saw ONLY ONE trailer for it a few months ago and nothing since. I have no idea when it hits theaters.

DGibFen
06-25-03, 09:26 AM
I saw an actual trailer on TV, and it still featured in the images both the jeep and the video camera that's advertised.

I'd assume that the makers of TR: TCOL were so desperate for funds this is what they had to do.

LBPound
06-25-03, 09:38 AM
Even the posters or standees advertise Jeep and from what I've read, some theaters won't put them since they're not getting paid by Jeep for the advertising.

Jepthah
06-25-03, 01:23 PM
*sniff, sniff*

I smell TURKEY...

Jackskeleton
06-25-03, 02:52 PM
I smell a stinker..

Corvin
06-25-03, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by LBPound
Even the posters or standees advertise Jeep and from what I've read, some theaters won't put them since they're not getting paid by Jeep for the advertising.

The standees I've seen advertise Jolie's breasts more than Jeep.

In fact, her beautiful frame covers up the actual name of the title. I think that speaks for itself.

So it goes.

Y2K Falcon
06-25-03, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Corvin
The standees I've seen advertise Jolie's breasts more than Jeep.

In fact, her beautiful frame covers up the actual name of the title. I think that speaks for itself.

So it goes.
Like this?
http://www.tombraidermovie.com/downloads/wallpapers/TCOL_wallpaper03_800.jpg

Corvin
06-25-03, 08:58 PM
Yup. That would be the one.

FamilyGuyFZ
06-26-03, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Seantn
I thought it was gonna say "THAT DOESN'T SUCK".

I would say "no" to that. same here
can't shine a turd.

cheapskate
06-26-03, 11:34 AM
I JEEP don't JEEP know, JEEP - I JEEP mean, JEEP it's JEEP not JEEP like JEEP we're JEEP being JEEP brainwashed JEEP or JEEP anything...

DGibFen
06-26-03, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by ^sam^
I JEEP don't JEEP know, JEEP - I JEEP mean, JEEP it's JEEP not JEEP like JEEP we're JEEP being JEEP brainwashed JEEP or JEEP anything...

rotfl :up:

Don't forget to take a picture with the Panasonic Digital camera that's advertised.

joeydaninja
07-23-03, 01:22 PM
I just saw Tomb Raider 2: The Cradle of Life.

It wasn't so bad, to my great surprise. I expected nothing but *****, after the Haunting. Seems like Jan de Bont had fun with this one. Much, much better than what Simon West did with the first one.

Considering this is the guy that directed Speed and Twister, I guess he is a competent popcorn action director.

RichC2
07-23-03, 01:31 PM
I figured TR2 would be an okay movie with cool action scenes... action scenes seem to be the one thing Jan De Bont can pull off well.

Would you recommend seeing it?

audrey
07-23-03, 01:44 PM
I HATED the first one. But the trailer for 2 looks good, so I'm gonna catch a cheap show to minimize the downside.

joeydaninja
07-23-03, 01:44 PM
hmmm, well there were some dragging parts, but the story was more well thought out than the stories of most of the action movies this summer.

jan de bont was able to capture the spirit of Tomb Raider more than the previous director.

and he didn't have to resort to MTV style shots just because it is de rigeur in action movies these days. he shot it in a more classic 80's style, which is where he is stronger anyhow.

but yeah, if you're an action fan, i'd recommend it.

but please take note, I liked the Daredevil movie and The Hulk movie and didn't like Spiderman. Just to give you a gauge of my personal tastes

RichC2
07-23-03, 01:50 PM
but please take note, I liked the Daredevil movie and The Hulk movie and didn't like Spiderman. Just to give you a gauge of my personal tastes

Cool.. I enjoyed Daredevil (despite the fact it's really..really poorly made), really liked The Hulk.. and thought Spider-man was completely boring.

Will just see it when I've got nothing to do.

joeydaninja
07-23-03, 02:02 PM
kewl, hahaha. funny you liked Daredevil even if you found it to be poorly made. did you like it for the camp of it?

RichC2
07-23-03, 02:07 PM
I actually dunno what I liked about Daredevil, some of the scenes were embarassingly bad, but it was just entertaining.

That and the dark atmosphere didn't hurt :D Maybe it was the camp factor and I just don't realize it yet hehe.

Kal-El
07-23-03, 02:07 PM
I was planning on seeing this anyway. Thanks for the mini-review!

joeydaninja
07-23-03, 02:11 PM
hahaha, good to like a movie coz you simply found it entertaining. it is one of the best gauges of a movie if it is worth watching.

and, my pleasure, kal jedi :D

theneobez
07-23-03, 02:47 PM
I'm planning on seeing this, I hope de Bont still has it in him to make a good flick. The only film of his that I really liked was Speed. Well, I'll see how this is on Friday.

moocher
07-23-03, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by joeydaninja

Uh oh. TR2 might not be my cup of tea :).

KillaBeez
07-23-03, 04:16 PM
I will see this for sure. I seen the first 1 and liked it. I bet the 2nd one will be even better then first.

I didnt like Spider Man either but thats probley do to the fact that Tobey Maquire is a horrible actor and way too thin to play spider man.

jdpatri
07-23-03, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by KillaBeez

I didnt like Spider Man either but thats probley do to the fact that Tobey Maquire is a horrible actor and way too thin to play spider man.

:hscratch:

I didn't particularly care for it but I can't say it was for any of the above reasons.

back on topic...

I have a hard time believing that TR2 couldn't be better than the first one. I think I might have enjoyed Judge Dredd more than the first one.

Dr. DVD
07-25-03, 11:36 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but will be going this afternoon.

I'm more or less going to gawk at Angelina Jolie than anything else, but the movie is getting reviews that say it is better than the first one, but that still leaves room for improvement.

IMO, the first movie left such a sour taste in so many people's mouths that they won't want to come back for this outing, despite any improvements. I think it will do decent on DVD like the first one did, but that's it.

marty888
07-25-03, 11:51 AM
Closing line of the review in today's NY Daily News:

<b>"How could something so expensive, so loud and so frenetic simultaneously be so mind-numbingly boring?"</b>

Dr. DVD
07-25-03, 01:13 PM
Since when will reviews matter in a movie like this anyway? It's based on a video game, nothing much to expect.

This is a thread more or less made for the few people that feel a second outing was worth the trip.

Dr. DVD
07-25-03, 05:48 PM
Saw it. Thought it was a lot better than the first one and worth the matinee price. I'm a geeky horndog, true, but this one had more of the feel of a traditional adventure than a video game based movie.
I will definitely buy the DVD.
Keep your expectations modest and this one won't disappoint. Of course I doubt many of you will bother seeing this one after the problematic first one.

moocher
07-25-03, 06:09 PM
23% = Rotten (Rottentomatoes.com)

My local paper gives it 1 out of 5 stars and lambasts it worse than I have ever seen in a review. All this doesn't mean it is awful but it does make me a bit skeptical.

I'll wait for the DVD...

B.A.
07-25-03, 06:26 PM
Saw it. Thought it was a lot better than the first one and worth the matinee price. I'm a geeky horndog, true, but this one had more of the feel of a traditional adventure than a video game based movie.
I will definitely buy the DVD.
Keep your expectations modest and this one won't disappoint. Of course I doubt many of you will bother seeing this one after the problematic first one.

:up:

I have been wanting to see this one because, to me, it does look much better than the first one. I'm not expecting Indiana Jones, but I think I can be pretty accepting sometimes. Glad you liked it - hopefully I will make it this weekend. Angelina Jolie is looking so much better now than she has in the past few years - that doesn't hurt either.

Ranger
07-25-03, 07:36 PM
Probably will wait for the DVD.

Spy021
07-25-03, 07:53 PM
Watched the first one on DVD last night for the first time. It was OK, not my favorite film, but I'm seen much worse. I went into it knowing that it wouldn't be mind blowing or a masterpiece, so that definitely helped. Plus I find Angelina very easy on the eyes. I will most likely go and see the second one, if for nothing more than to see Angelina on the big screen. :hump:

Patman
07-25-03, 08:11 PM
There is no snap to this film. I thought the characters were bland and lifeless. The stuntwork left me underwhelmed. The locales were sort of interesting, but shot in a manner that just didn't really connect with me.

I didn't think the direction by de Bont was all that good, nor was the script all that interesting. It gets far too predictable towards the end of the film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Dr. DVD
07-25-03, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Patman
There is no snap to this film. I thought the characters were bland and lifeless. The stuntwork left me underwhelmed. The locales were sort of interesting, but shot in a manner that just didn't really connect with me.

I didn't think the direction by de Bont was all that good, nor was the script all that interesting. It gets far too predictable towards the end of the film.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Like it was any different than the first one?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
07-25-03, 10:43 PM

the movie is getting reviews that say it is better than the first one, but that still leaves room for improvement.

that's what i thought when i saw it too. though i thought there wasn't much between the two main characters (jolie and butler). i like the plot better though, since it seems a little more realistic. and i enjoyed the references to mythology.

and i liked the monsters coming out and killing the soldiers.

i was gonna go see pirates of the carribean, if it had only started 6 minutes earlier, but this was still a pretty decent movie.

Iron_Giant
07-26-03, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Ranger
Probably will wait for the DVD.
This is were I am going to save about $20 by waiting to rent the DVD.

Geofferson
07-26-03, 06:02 PM
It probably isn't very good, but I bet it is better than the first.

clemente
07-26-03, 06:11 PM
Boring kind of sums it up.

The action set pieces are boring, the plot is kind of mundane, and there's even less chemistry between the characters than the first.

Is it better than the first, yes, but only slightly so. It does move pretty quickly, so despite its faults it never becomes very bogged down in one location.

Honestly, its plays a lot like Alias, with constant action, location changes, and a mythological unknow, but without the characters we like or decent dialogue or excitement.

But still...better than the first.

DRG
07-27-03, 12:03 PM
Kind of depressing to hear it's boring... that's the worst sin a big summer popcorn flick can commit. I was very upset with the first film, but had my hopes (slightly) up for this one. The concept should be a no-brainer... a female Bruce Wayne meets Indiana Jones, with a dash of 007. I thought there was one great scene in the first movie... where she faces the gigantic statue come alive. That should've been the finale, but instead they went with the lame fight scene. I'll still probably check this out sometime this week.

Red Dog
07-27-03, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
This is were I am going to save about $20 by waiting to rent the DVD.

Since when do movie theater tickets cost $24?

matome
07-27-03, 05:58 PM
Definitely way better than the first. I actually thought it was a lot better than most of the other big summer flicks I've seen. It felt a lot like a Bond film (good thing) and was actually pretty violent for it's PG-13 rating. I think DeBont did a great job with this.

SeanValen
07-27-03, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by matome
Definitely way better than the first. I actually thought it was a lot better than most of the other big summer flicks I've seen. It felt a lot like a Bond film (good thing) and was actually pretty violent for it's PG-13 rating. I think DeBont did a great job with this.

:up:

Excellent

Jaymole
07-28-03, 07:25 AM
Wow, the executives at Paramount are going to be pretty disappointed when they see the box office #'s Monday morning

Dr. DVD
07-28-03, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Jaymole
Wow, the executives at Paramount are going to be pretty disappointed when they see the box office #'s Monday morning

I hope that studio execs learn a lesson from this summer. While I liked T3, TR 2, and Charlies Angels:Full Throttle, a lot of people didn't go see them because they really didn't crave more of those movies. T3 was probably dented by the DVD market more than anything else, but TR2 and CAFT were most likley cases of having a the first movie be a hit with a majority of the audience walking away unsatisfied and not really clamoring for more.
What's a real shame is the big chunks of money the studios sink into these movies. It seems like movies are costing more but making less. Studios need to plan better financially instead of automatically thinking a sequel = $$$.

Jack Straw
08-02-03, 07:13 PM
Loved the part where she cuts herself to attract the shark and then proceeds to slug it in the nose as it is about to devour her. The shark becomes disoriented and slightly cowers. She then climbs on the shark's back and rides it to safety holding on to its fin.

Lame.

KTIK
08-02-03, 07:22 PM
The sharks in Nemo were more realistic than that shark.

Jack Straw
08-03-03, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by KTIK
The sharks in Nemo were more realistic than that shark. :up:

NCMojo
08-03-03, 11:44 PM
The movie is fun for what it is -- a typical big-studio popcorn flick. The action sequences are fast-paced, Angelina is hot, and the plot is relatively straightforward. You need to compare this to Bond films -- does it have an inane storyline, cardboard villains and inane dialogue? Check, check, check. But nobody goes to see a Bond flick expecting anything more, and the same standard should be applied to this flick.

atari2600
08-04-03, 01:34 AM
simple question: how long is this movie?

Red Dog
08-04-03, 08:29 AM
Now I liked the first Tomb Raider. I did not like this one as much although Angelina looks awesome - definitely #1 on my list of hottest mainstream actresses. I'd probably give it 2 out of 4 stars.

El-Kabong
08-04-03, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Jack Straw
Loved the part where she cuts herself to attract the shark and then proceeds to slug it in the nose as it is about to devour her. The shark becomes disoriented and slightly cowers. She then climbs on the shark's back and rides it to safety holding on to its fin.

Hey, hey HEY - how about some SPOILER tags here, buddy! Sheesh!

(This message closed captioned for the humor impaired)

immortal_zeus
08-04-03, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Hey, hey HEY - how about some SPOILER tags here, buddy! Sheesh!

(This message closed captioned for the humor impaired)

If you didn't want to read possible spoilers, what are you doing in this thread? I thought that it was implied that reviews would have possible spoilers. Or maybe not. I don't come into this forum too much.

Anyway, I thought the movie was okay. Nothing special. Angelina Jolie is hot. Some cool stunt scenes. The plot sucked.

Jumping off the building was cool. The monsters were dumb. Hitting the shark in the nose was dumb. Some other dumb parts. The beginning of the movie was Angelina in her bikini-type outfit was hot.

<B>If you haven't seen it already, I'd recommend waiting for it to come out on DVD and renting it.</B>

Edited to add: I just saw the sticky about using spoilers. Guess I was wrong.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

DRG
08-04-03, 05:37 PM
I saw this last week... and it really IS boring. It IS better than the first one, but I think in its attempts to be less silly it plays things a little TOO safe. A lot of fights, chases, shootouts, daring stunts, etc. but none of it is all that exciting. I just never felt like Lara was in any real danger, so the suspense is gone. The bad guys weren't menacing enough. The adventure aspect is mostly gone, what's left feels like a rejected 007 script. On a positive note, Angelina admirably gives it her all. She keeps you awake, at least. It's not really bad... it's just not much of anything.

B.A.
08-05-03, 10:24 PM
Finally saw it - I give it **1/2 out of *****. It was better than the first one and Angelina looked much better, imo. She was fantastic, given what she had to work w/. Yeah this movie could have been done a little better, particularly some of the cinematography, which looked pretty bad in parts of the movie, imo. I did like some of the stuntwork/fight scenes - nothing too special, but if they were shot differently it might have made them better.

Again - Angelina was great, but they needed more geek and butler. To give is some perspective - it was a lot better than League of Craptacular Gentlemen.

And the preview for Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World was excellent. I can't wait for that one.

Giles
08-06-03, 12:04 AM
all these reviews here and there saying this was better than the first - puleeze. As an action-film director, Jan De Bont doesn't cut it (didn't he learn from "Speed 2" - no scene came close to the great original fight scene in the first film where Laura is fighting various bad guys from a bungee cord in the chateau/castle thing a ma jig.

B.A.
08-06-03, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Giles
all these reviews here and there saying this was better than the first - puleeze. As an action-film director, Jan De Bont doesn't cut it (didn't he learn from "Speed 2" - no scene came close to the great original fight scene in the first film where Laura is fighting various bad guys from a bungee cord in the chateau/castle thing a ma jig.
Overall, I did think the second was better than the first, but I will agree that fight scene in the Croft Mansion was the best fight scene in either film.

Original Desmond
09-10-03, 03:09 AM
watched a dvd screener, not bad i reckon, well worth the price

The Bus
09-10-03, 06:18 AM
Saw it a couple weeks ago, worst movie of 2003 by far -- if it was a free matinee I would've liked it a bit more.

:)

Giles
09-10-03, 09:17 AM
the only positive thing I can say about TR2 is that I cant wait to see Gerard Butler as the 'Phantom' in "Phantom of the Opera" next year - can he sing (??) hope he can surprise me.