Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

For Love or Money 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For Love or Money 2

Because no one demanded this thread, here it is!

After 2 shows, we are now down to 7 suitors for Erin. Each guy still thinks they'll get both Erin and the $1 million prize if she picks her. Erin is doing her best to find the one guy who'll pick her over the money at the end, thereby doubling her prize to $2 million.

At this point, I really don't think any of the guys will pick Erin over the money. Time will tell...

In the disclaimer at the end, Erin will get some unspecified "consolation" prize in the event that the guy picks the money over her.
Old 07-22-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll be hard to convince one of the guys to pick her over money in just a few dating. But it would be cool to see that someone pick her over money, then she gets both money AND the guy. What an ending it would be, eh?
Old 07-22-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Missed the first episode, but had it on in the background last night. I have no desire to watch it. At least with the first one, there were a bunch of hot chicks to watch. This one only has Erin, and to me, she is not that good looking...
Old 07-22-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I was addicted to the original but I just can't get into the multiple men competing for one woman angle. I'll probably check out the last one though to see how it all turns out.

I'm sure they got a bunch of good looking guys who probably do reasonably well with the ladies already so I can't see how they would pass up the present value of a million in exchange for pursuing a relationship with Erin.

If she is smart, she'll 'romance' the biggest loser of the bunch.
Old 07-22-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I just watched the opening where they explained the set up. It went something like "They know this. But what they don't know is that Erin knows that. But What Erin doesn't know is this. If the man picks Erin then he wins this. But if he chooses Erin over the money, then she wins this. If he doesn't Erin only gets another thing" Huh?
There comes a time when a show's rules become just too complicated for their own good, and we've just discovered exhibit A
Old 07-22-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone else relaly hoping one of the baseball jerseys would have a "0" for the number on the back? It's what seemed most appropriate.
Old 07-22-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The setup isn't that complicated (but it helps to have seen the first version of the show).

Erin knows what's going on because she's been through it all. She's been in the guys' shoes. She's had to make the choice that will be presented to the last couple of guys at the end. There may be one final twist, but I can't imagine what that may be.

The cat-n-mouse game is not only to see if Erin can find the guy who wants her for her, but not to spill the beans about the money (her own agenda of doubling up her prize from the last game, and her own familiarity of the house the guys are now staying in), but to see if money does factor in how these guys go about trying to win Erin's heart enough for her to pick that one guy. What's funny is that it sounds funny to categorize the guys in it for money as "gold diggers", I'd offer "pragmatic".

Thank goodness Erin booted Munch to the curb, he was totally in it for the money. I smiled evilly when she sent Richard packing last week.

At this point, Greg and Wade are the odds-on favorites at the end. The other guy, Eric could be a spoiler if Wade's insecurities don't get the best of him.
Old 07-22-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Besides the set-up, the "twist" has become one of the most often abused term in recent memory on these reality-type shows. Does it actually make these wretched shows more watchable?
Old 07-22-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only for the "squirm" factor it produces in the contestants when the twist is sprung on them.
Old 07-22-03, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the guy picks Erin over the money doesn't she have to choose between the guy and the 2 mil or does she get both??
Old 07-22-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At this point, she's supposed to get both (because the test is whether a man is willing to give up $1 million to get the girl, and at the same time, can Erin convince a man to give up $1 million for a shot at a relationship/marriage with her).

But I could see some lame-o twist where the guy does choose Erin over the money, and then the producers make Erin choose the guy over the money all over again (but that's not what Erin agreed to at the start of this game, and if I were Erin, I'd call BS on it).
Old 07-22-03, 05:13 PM

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm just dense, but it still seems kinda complicated for me. I sorta get it, but it feels a little like watching John Cleese explain which pegs the schoolboys should hang their coats on in 'The Meaning of Life'.

BTW Does anyone watch the fine print at the end of the shows? Yes, it's "One Million Dollars!", but it's over forty years. You're not going to retire on 25K a year. By 2042, I doubt it'll even pay for a nice meal out.
Old 07-22-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was already sussed out in the first edition of this show. And depending on the interest, the present value lump sum probably isn't all that much once you take out the taxes as well.

It's not that complicated:

Erin has won the $1 million from the 1st show.

Erin has been offered the chance to go for Double-or-nothing with the second show.

The guys think they are playing for $1 million AND Erin, but when it gets down to the final 2, those 2 are told that it's not both, it's EITHER Erin OR the $1 million. if they are the final guy, they must choose either Erin or the $1 million.

Erin's job is to choose one guy who will pick her over the $1 million. If she picks a guy who will forego the monetary prize, then Erin will get $2 million, and then be able to pursue a relationship with that final guy.

If the guy picks the $1 million over Erin, she gets nothing (except for a consolation prize for being on the show), and the guy gets the money, but not Erin.
Old 07-22-03, 06:06 PM

OK. I get it now (but I stand by my claim that it's gotten a little complicated)
I thin they're lucky that Rob piccked Erin over Paige. Certainly Paige isn't a dog, but she's nowhere near as conventionally attractive as Erin. I'm sure that's what the producers were hoping (and maybe whispering in Rob's ear).

Patman, since you're the expert, I'll ask you a couple more questions if that's OK: I missed the finale of FLOM 1. Was Rob shocked or bummed when Erin gave him the boot? Did she even try to make it look like a difficult decision? Did Paige cry? Any dirt at all?
Old 07-22-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Erin was gracious in telling Rob that she just didn't feel the same way he felt towards her, and even though it probably made her look like a gold digger, she was going to choose the money over him, and I think she mentioned that the money would come in handy due to her father's medical bills. Rob took it pretty well. He knew that Paige would have chosen him over the money, but he wanted Erin more, and decided to take that one shot at getting a quality woman who was similar in age, and a little more classy than Paige (who was just way too young and inexperienced for Rob at this time).
Old 07-22-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Paige was very sincere in her feeling. I would've pick her if I were Rob. I felt bad for her when she cried after Rob picked Erin over her.
Old 07-23-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I just have the feeling that this show is set up. There is the disclaimer at the end that the producers can and will step in to help in the decision making.

If Rob had picked Paige, there's no way they could've had this "second season." Paige might've picked Rob, and that would've ended the show. If she didn't, she'd take the money over the "double or nothing" gamble. And even if she did take the "double or nothing" there' no way she would've been alluring enough for the guys that they picked... or at the very least, they would've manipulated her way too much.

I do feel kinda bad for Rob, since he not only missed out on the girl and the money, but he got fired from his job as an indirect result of the show. Plus America knows what a tool he is now.

That "consolation prize" makes sense. I wondered how they got Erin to agree to this. Let's see, we just played a game where you won, and picked money over the guy. Let's see if you can play the same game but beat the odds this time. Yeah right. It's not like playing the game before gives her any real advantage that Rob didn't have, as Rob found out the "secret" with the final 5 anyway, and would've picked the last two regardless. But if the offer was "We'll give you some sum of money, which won't be paid over the next 40 years but all at once, plus we'll put you on TV for a few more weeks and you'll be able to milk that for all it's worth" then it makes more sense. Especially since, no matter how great a girl is, no guy is going to pick her over a million bucks. Unless it's staged...

BTW, I still think that "million dollar check" thing is so misleading. I hope they all know that they'll get it in installments over 40 years, which is much different from getting a lump sum.
Old 07-23-03, 07:09 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the first show, if someone takes the money... what prevents them from later hooking up with the person after the show is over? Other than the obvious hurt feelings that someone chose the money over you?
Old 07-23-03, 07:10 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the first show, if someone takes the money... what prevents them from later hooking up with the person after the show is over? Other than the obvious hurt feelings that someone chose the money over you? You'd have to keep it secret from NBC maybe, but still...
Old 07-23-03, 07:31 PM

In the first For Love or Money, all they said was that if the girl chose the money, she was forbidden from seeing Rob again....ever. I would assume that there would be a fine (ie. forfeit the money) if they were to hook up later.
Old 07-23-03, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by hkytwn14
In the first For Love or Money, all they said was that if the girl chose the money, she was forbidden from seeing Rob again....ever. I would assume that there would be a fine (ie. forfeit the money) if they were to hook up later.
Yeah, well 41 years from now, what could they do about it?

Besides, how many people would really be that upset about never seeing Rob again?
Old 07-24-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I'm sure they would do something like they did with Cupid (where the couple has to be married for one year to get the money). In this case, I imagine that they would force them to return the money. Or, if they took the 40 year installment plan, I guess they could cut them off any time in the next 40 years. But after 6 months or so, who really cares?
Old 08-05-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I am really getting to like this show. It was kind of obvious that Vic was the one that was going to take the money as he was not confident that Erin would pick him.
The twist of bringing back Rob from the first show is CLASSIC. I cannot wait for him to badmouth her to all the other guys (I assume he cannot mention the money part duh!)

I think from how they are editing the show the last two will be
Spoiler:
Eric - who is edited to be the villian. I cannot believe she cannot see through him - "of course, I did not take the money" hmph ... hmph
and Chad - the sweet mysterious idealist who has been edited to seem to want to find love :I was hoping that I would not pass out and drop the ring"

It's been a great series. I enjoyed this one more than the first as there are more twists here.
Old 08-05-03, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Vic is an idiot..He should have held out for more $$$..You new Mark (I think that's his name) was going to up the ante..They always do

PS I was reading the end credits and it said the $2million is paid over 40 years??..WTF is that??..What if you don`t live that long??
Old 08-05-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is a cash-out option based on some present value calculation that's dependent on the interest rate, of course.

Jordan is the "host".

I can't stand guys like Eric either, but the rest are lunkheads as well.

Gotta love the Rob twist: You caused me to lose my job, prepare to die! You caused me to lose $1 million (over 40 years), prepare to die! You caused Paige to cry all night, prepare to die!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.