Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I'm finally switching to satellite

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I'm finally switching to satellite

I'm not sure if this should go here or in hot deals, but I have finally decided to switch to satellite, as my picture from Comcast has been getting progressively worse and worse as my bill keeps getting higher. I'm looking to get Directivo and also adding 2 more basic boxes for other tvs.

What I need to ask of you guys is where the best place would be to purchase this. Should I go to a major chain like Best Buy? I notice they have an ad this week on a directivo plus 1 unit for 250 dollars including installation. Should I go to one of those little independent shops I see on the street? Should I order directly through Directv's website? Where am I most likely to get the best deal being a first time subscriber?
Old 07-21-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
www.valueelectronics.com. Ask for the "Tivo Community Discount" of $99 for 1 DirecTivo, 2 regular receivers, dish, and required multiswitch. All installed and delivered.

you can't beat that.
Old 07-21-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're going with DirecTV, make sure that you get a dish that points at 101, 110, and 119.
Old 07-21-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MarkHoltz
If you're going with DirecTV, make sure that you get a dish that points at 101, 110, and 119.
Just as an FYI for newbies, this is only a requirement if your locals are on one of the non-standard birds or if you want the NASA channel or some HD content from DirecTv. Typically, most deals with come with the standard round dish (the $99 above does), but you can usually get the one of the newer dish's referred to above if you call DirecTv and tell them you want access to the NASA channel. You'll pay shipping is all.

This is all from what i've read. I still have the round dish myself, having no use for the fancier models out there. YMMV.
Old 07-21-03, 04:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Typically, most deals with come with the standard round dish (the $99 above does), but you can usually get the one of the newer dish's referred to above if you call DirecTv and tell them you want access to the NASA channel. You'll pay shipping is all.
The deals lately seem to be if you get 2 or less standard receivers, you will get the round, 18" dish. If you get a Tivo or 3 or more standard receivers, then you will get the better eliptical dish that picks up all satellites. This has been the trend at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc lately.
Old 07-21-03, 06:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's a link from Expert Satellite that gives you a HDVR2 DirecTivo, a regular receiver, and the new TripleLNB dish:

http://www.expertsatellite.com/catal...ffil=ref380429

It doesn't sound as good as DJ's deal up there, but I can't find it on the website. Also (full disclosure), there is a reference link in the URL to get the 99.99 price. If it must be edited out, please let me know.

Last edited by Silly Burrito; 07-21-03 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's say I pay for the Directv package that includes the Tivo service in it. If I later swap in a higher model Tivo, will it fall under the original pricing plan?
Old 07-21-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Which Tivo unit itself is better of the three different kinds presented? This will probably make my decision on which package I purchase. Or you can judge the packages themselves. I'm mostly debating between between options 1 and 3 since I believe they are the newer models if I'm not mistaken.

Also one more question. The spanish language package shows Cartoon Network as ESP. Does it mean I can switch between english and spanish audio? I don't want it to be broadcast in spanish.

Last edited by spainlinx0; 07-22-03 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-22-03, 12:35 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I think each of the directivo units are more or less the same under the skin, I have the DSR6000 philips and it has been perfect for the last 3 years.

The fact that you are getting a DTivo puts you way ahead of the curve.
Old 07-22-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Let's say I pay for the Directv package that includes the Tivo service in it. If I later swap in a higher model Tivo, will it fall under the original pricing plan?
Yes. With DirecTv, the Tivo fee you pay is not tied to the box. If you subscribe to the package that contains the tivo fee, you should be just fine upgrading later if you ever wanted to switch out your Tivo IFAIK.
Old 07-22-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So are there any deal out there for a Tivo unit for current DTV subscribers?
Old 07-22-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Boot
See my first post (7th from the top) in this thread. Not sure if it's still active, but it's worth a shot.
Old 07-22-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Numanoid
See my first post (7th from the top) in this thread. Not sure if it's still active, but it's worth a shot.
Thanks. I'll check into that.
Old 07-22-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Boot
If that FFDVR deal is dead, call up DirecTv and asked for Customer Retention. Advise them of your situation and what you are looking for. They'll likely be able to accomodate you. The churn rate on subscribers with PVRs is very low, so once they get ya hooked, you almost never leave. That is worth something to them.
Old 07-24-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I finally ordered a system. It's the Philips HDVR2 with an elliptical dish and installation that came to 130 something after shipping. Seemed like a good enough deal to me since I ended up only needing one room installation. Hopefully there will be no snags and I will be up and running soon. I'll let you know how it goes and how much hassle the install was.
Old 07-24-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Also one more question. The spanish language package shows Cartoon Network as ESP. Does it mean I can switch between english and spanish audio? I don't want it to be broadcast in spanish.
I have the base Spanish package (DirecTV para Todos Opción Extra Especial, $34 / month). You will need the eliptical dish (which you just ordered) to get any Spanish stations, since they are on a different satellite than the mainstream channels (History, Comedy, Discovery, Oxygen, etc etc).

As for the Cartoon Network, it is broadcast in English. With DirectTV, I have never tried to change the language to Spanish, though I assume it's possible. When I had Dish Network I could change the language on Cartoon Network from English to Spanish.
Old 07-24-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking into getting DirecTV next month and I have, what will assuredly be, two moronic questions... I'm just desperate to be released from Comcast's talons.

If I purchase a DirecTivo setup from say Expert Satellite... who installs the dish? ...and what are my options since I'm not able to mount the dish onto the physical building?

Also, how can I figure out if my apartment can even receive a decent signal...? I'll be moving to Cambridge, MA and it looks like it's going to be tricky to get a clear shot to the South.

thanks
Old 07-24-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by jdpatri
I'm looking into getting DirecTV next month and I have, what will assuredly be, two moronic questions... I'm just desperate to be released from Comcast's talons.

If I purchase a DirecTivo setup from say Expert Satellite... who installs the dish? ...and what are my options since I'm not able to mount the dish onto the physical building?

Also, how can I figure out if my apartment can even receive a decent signal...? I'll be moving to Cambridge, MA and it looks like it's going to be tricky to get a clear shot to the South.

thanks

Take a compass. From DC, it is due SW at 225 degrees. MA should be similar. You should be able to go to the DirecTV website and plug in the zip code and it will tell what the degree position is from that location. Make sure that you are high enough to avoid tall buildings.

You really should have a balcony to do it in an apartment buidling although I do know people who have it set up inside so it goes through a window.
Old 07-24-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh we have a balcony... a full-out porch actually... but the landlord doesn't allow anything mounted onto the building.

I have to find something that sits on the porch onto which I can mount the dish.... any ideas?
Old 07-24-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Oh we have a balcony... a full-out porch actually... but the landlord doesn't allow anything mounted onto the building.

I have to find something that sits on the porch onto which I can mount the dish.... any ideas?

I've seen people do a pole sticking out of a bucket filled with concrete. Attach the dish to the pole.
Old 07-24-03, 06:02 PM

i've seen tripods made especially for these dishes used in condos & townhomes. probably on ebay
Old 07-24-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-24-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have two dishes on my balcony. For each, I just went to Home Depot and picked up a round board (about 3') for about $4 and a couple of their cool trapezoidal cinder blocks for about $4 each. I screwed the dish onto the board, and placed the cinder blocks on top of the board on either side of the dish to keep it in place. Quick, cheap and easy. Have never had to realign it.
Old 08-02-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I just got my dish and pvr installed, and so far I am enjoying both. I have run into one problem though, that I can't seem to find in the manual. I can't adjust my recording quality. I have the Philips DSR7000R/17. I have tried looking everywhere, but I must be missing it. Can anyone tell me where to look to change this setting?
Old 08-03-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, I just got my dish and pvr installed, and so far I am enjoying both. I have run into one problem though, that I can't seem to find in the manual. I can't adjust my recording quality. I have the Philips DSR7000R/17. I have tried looking everywhere, but I must be missing it. Can anyone tell me where to look to change this setting?
I might be wrong, but I don't think the DirecTivo's have different recording quality, only the stand-alone's do.

Edit: From the Tivo FAQ's:

-- What recording quality should I use?
On a standalone TiVo, you can record in four different video qualities, Best, High, Medium, and Basic. Better qualities give you less number of hours of programming you can record before the disk is full. Other than that, it is a matter of personal preference, perceived anomalies such as pixelation, and the size of your TV screen.

On the DirecTivo, it always records at "best" quality.

Last edited by johnglass; 08-03-03 at 12:36 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.