Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Phillips DVDR985 DVD+RW compatibility?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else have the Phillips DVDR985? I'm wondering what you've found with compatibility of discs you burn with other dvd players.

I've found that my DVD+R's do pretty well - they worked on my computer at work and my computer at homes dvd players.

But with DVD+RW's I've not been doing too well. I can read them if they are formatted with the "2" option at work but it doestn' seem to like it. At home it works fine with the "2" option. If I use the "1" option, I haven't yet found a device that reads them. I haven't yet used the "3" option as that seem to be the least used of the 3 codings.

I'm just afraid that if I record stuff on a DVD+RW, in a couple years when I want a new DVD recorder or it breaks or whatever, I'll not be able to watch anything I've so painstakingly recorded. Should I just only use the DVD+R's? What are others who have this DVD player doing?
Old 07-21-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php
Old 07-21-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, that's pretty cool. Looks like the majority of dvd players will read dvd+rw, just it doesn't specify whether in the 1 or 2 coding.

I'm guessing that that number will increase as new models become able to read all the different types of media, so that by the time I need a new one, I should at least have several options that will read what I've already recorded.
Old 07-22-03, 09:18 AM

My newer JVC will read DVD+RW's; my older Sony changer will not. No trouble on either reading DVD+R's, other than occasionally taking an extra long time on jumps between chapters.
Old 07-23-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got Sony players from 2000 and 2002 and they both play DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD-RW (video mode) just fine. Most newer players can handle anything but DVD-RAM.