Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Teen Titans Premiere

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-03, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Teen Titans Premiere

I'll post this here, because I know the response I'll get on Toon Zone. Lol.

I can see they're going for a new direction, but it didn't work for me. I thought it was terrible. Almost dismal. Yes, it was anime influenced, but too much so. What's with the dialogue? The voice actors? At times I thought I was listening to a bad dub.

WB holds true to form, and the animation quality has declined once again- even worse than X-Men:Evoltion.

So, as a DC Comics fan and an adult, unlike JL (which I find mostly mediocre, but decent at times) this series has absolutely nothing to hold my interest. They are truly shooting for the kiddie set- not to my tastes. Maybe the Pokemon set will find this to their liking, but not I.
Old 07-19-03, 09:51 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked it. I couldn't believe it. It's nothing like the Teen Titans at all, but it's a lot of fun and I really enjoy the anime influences. Oddly enough, I like very little of the anime CN shows, but this show seems to be a good median between American and Japanese cartoons.

The show's pretty wild. I read an interview where the creators say FLCL is a big influence on them and that's got me sold. There was a very FLCL part in the first scene.
Old 07-19-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
FLCL?

I missed it. Oh well. Can't be any worse than what they're doing in the comics nowadays..
Old 07-19-03, 11:41 PM
Banned

The commercial and promo art killed it for me.

Emulating japanese "art styles" can bring no good.

On the otherhand, bland superheroes with bland art styles might be a match made in heaven.
Old 07-20-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The theme song sucked.

The first five minutes was interesting. The last two minutes had me interested.

The problem I had was the middle. If I recall correctly, Robin from the Batman universe was from a circus family. In this series, the only super-power he has is that he's a leader.

As for the other characters, I'm going WTF?!?!? We have a cyborg, a green shapeshifter, an airhead who has super powers, and some gal who speaks in monotone and wears only blue.

Someone please tell me this gets better. Apparently, they are trying to handle a serious villian and a serious situation in a non-serious way, but HUH?!?!?!?
Old 07-20-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by MarkHoltz
As for the other characters, I'm going WTF?!?!? We have a cyborg, a green shapeshifter, an airhead who has super powers, and some gal who speaks in monotone and wears only blue.
Don't know if you're a comic book collector, but if not, seek out the Marv Wolfman/George Perez Teen Titans run...they are much more then what you describe.

Don't let this cartoon ruin it for you..
Old 07-20-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rogue588
Don't know if you're a comic book collector, but if not, seek out the Marv Wolfman/George Perez Teen Titans run...they are much more then what you describe.

Don't let this cartoon ruin it for you..
Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans is easily one of my favorite runs in comic history.

This cartoon is pretty insulting to that memory.
Old 07-20-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
wow, could this show pander to the Pokemon Yu-Gi-Oh crowd anymore? Man, this show was pretty bad. Luckily I didn't have high hopes for this show.
Old 07-20-03, 06:36 PM
Banned

They're shooting for the real low end, like 5-10yr olds.

Unlike all the other WB produced DC shows, this one only works on one level. How far they've come- from productions like Mask of the Phantasm, to this.

It'll be interesting to see how JL continues if TT is a huge hit.
Old 07-20-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

as one whose very first comic book was early in the perez/wolfman run, i didn't care much for this. the characterizations weren't very good and the voices were horrendus. i may give it another shot but i don't expect much.

edited to add: well, i just watched the rerun and have some new thoughts.
1. the theme song totally blows. absolutely horrible.

2. not too thrilled with the new h.i.v.e. as a training school type thing but i guess i can understand it being as how the show is aimed at kids.

3. the voices aren't as bad as i originally thought.

4. starfire is one of worst characterizations EVER!! the only thing that is like the comics on her is the name and that she is golden. her entire personality is so ditzy it's ridiculous.

the main thing about this now that i think about is that the titans seem to be about 12 or so and not the late teens that would make for better (and more believable) characters. however, like i said earlier i understand about the target audience of the show.

upon further review, not as bad as i orginally thought but still needs alotta work to be good.

Last edited by kevin75; 07-20-03 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 12:44 AM

yeah, i used to read the comic and had high hopes for this, but it just plain sucked. I have a screener and have seen the first few episodes and it don't get any better. They took what would have been the basis for a good action drama and smurfed it. Music sucked, animation sucked, stories sucked. It sucks.
Old 07-21-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans is easily one of my favorite runs in comic history.

This cartoon is pretty insulting to that memory.
I read the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans in the 70's, loved it.
Old 07-21-03, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least we have
Spoiler:
Deathstroke
to look forward to. They didn't do much to hide him in the premiere.
Old 07-21-03, 06:17 AM

I'm an avid fan of the Wolfman/Perez era of the Titans, but I really didn't like this. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen (transformers armada), but what I saw didn't exactly leave me wanting more. I'll probably give it another shot because I'm a fan of the characters, but if I wasn't Tivo-ing this, I wouldn't go out of my way to catch it.

I wonder if they'll play up the relationship between Robin and Starfire...or (like the comics) maybe even a Robin, Starfire, and Raven triangle.
Old 07-21-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't read a lot of Teen Titans, but I do read comics. I like the new Justice League, and the new Spiderman, but this show appears to have been dumbed down. I don't know if I will stay with this or not. I'm going to give it a couple of more episodes and see if it gets any better.
Old 07-21-03, 10:21 AM
Banned

Check out the TT thread over at ToonZone to see how they're gushing over how good the show is. They also stomp all over anyone who thinks it's crap. I suppose this is what the kids like these days. Maybe they're just fooling themselves. A little bit of both I guess. What really blows me away is that people think the animation is good.

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=82067

It's still hard for me to believe that a show like Samurai Jack and TT exist on the same network. SJ must have been a fluke.

Last edited by Eric F; 07-21-03 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-21-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay.. I meant to watch this but I have one question..

Is the Robin in this show Tim Drake? If it is, I'll watch regardless, Tim Drake kicks ass.

Theme song sucked teh goat nuts.. see sig.
Old 07-21-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Eric F
It's still hard for me to believe that a show like Samurai Jack and TT exist on the same network. SJ must have been a fluke.
Samurai Jack is easily the best show Cartoon Network has produced.. even the bad episodes are great in their own way!
Old 07-21-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
At Comic Con, I was at the panel for this. They explained they are aiming it towards kids 7 - 10 years old. I didn't get to Q&A since they didn't offer that chance, and because I'm a Titans fan but I am wondering how the heck they are going to translate some of those stories which are pretty adult themed? The Brother Blood storylines, the Raven storylines, the Tara Markov/Terminator storylines are not ones to be dumbed down.

Marv Wolfman was at the panel and I wasn't sure if he gave his blessing or not

But listening to them, and hearing what their descriptions of the characters are.. Raven is the goth chick, Kory is the foriegn exchange student, I don't remember what they said for Robin, Beast Boy and Cyborg. As for Robin, they didn't specify which version he is. In my mind, it should be Dick Grayson as the comic book. Though I do think maybe they should be called the Kid Titans.

As for the look of the animation, I don't mind it. It's somewhere between Bruce Timm/Glen Murakami and anime - something they referred to as Murakanime.

I'll give it a chance. They're like the younger versions of X-men Evolution.

http://teentitans.animationinsider.n...rakamiq&a.html

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-21-03 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-23-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Well, I watched my Tivo'd episode last night and I kinda liked it...

It is very much manga/anime inspired... so much so that I'm wondering if they're going to try to license it in Japan or something. Lots of speedlines, huge drops of sweat, sudden bursts of "super deformed" fighting (where they get even more cartoony), and obviously the character designs, especially the female ones. I'm surprised they didn't go for the old "bubble coming from the nose" thing to denote someone sleeping...

I thought it was a pretty good homage to Wolfman and Perez's Titans, and I'm a big fan of the Titans themselves, especially from that era. I was really surprised that they kept the classic villains from that series... the Hive, and "Slade", which makes me think that they will update other stories as well (though Brother Blood may be a bit much). For some reason, I thought they were going to do something that was based in the far future, with a totally different concept, so I'm pleased that they at least stuck somewhat to the comics.

They obviously simplified the characters. Cyborg used to be brooding all the time because of the loss of most of his body, but they can't really do that. But his antagonistic relationship with Garth/Beast Boy/Changeling is still there. They made Kory/Starfire a ditz because, well, when she first got there she was an alien who knew nothing of Earth culture. And they couldn't really focus on her other "assets" in this cartoon. Raven was the daughter of a demon, which obviously wouldn't fly... so they turned her from dark and mysterious to cynical and moody. Garth is still... Garth. Robin seems more like Tim Drake than Dick Grayson, which makes sense considering they've already shown Grayson becoming Nightwing in other animated series.

Overall, it's like the Titans became "X-babies"... little versions of themselves that take their innate character traits to the extreme.
Old 07-23-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well if their target audience is 7-10 then I doubt I'll stick with it. It just wouldn't hold my attention.
Old 07-23-03, 10:38 AM
Banned

If they're "Teen" Titans, why do they look and act 8 years old?

I knew this would suck from the very first commerical, when we saw (as others have pointed out) the totally ditzy Starfire in full anime style.

For cryin' out loud, why does everything have to be done anime style now?

Wolfman and Perez are rolling over in their graves, and they're not even dead.
Old 07-23-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by JestersTear
Wolfman and Perez are rolling over in their graves, and they're not even dead.
Interesting.. considering Wolfman wrote an episode. I liked his take on it in an interview where he said he was fine with the direction the cartoon is going. That's their vision... the comic books will always be his vision.

His thoughts about it are at bottom of this page.
Old 07-23-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Wow, cool article. It's interesting that a lot of fans see the cartoon as an abomination, while Wolfman sees it for what it is... a cartoon for kids. And is ok with that. Either that, or he's counting on royalties and doesn't want to screw it up.

They will be using Trigon and Starfire's sister, huh? I wonder how? Starfire doesn't exactly seem to be a part of a warrior race, and trigon is a little too... demonic for parent's likings, I would think. Since the first episode was a pretty light episode, with foreshadowing, I'm curious to see if they'll get more serious.
Old 07-23-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JestersTear
For cryin' out loud, why does everything have to be done anime style now?
Because a huge number of people will buy/watch anything anime simply because it IS anime, not on the merit of the show.. it's the totally hip, fashionable, MTV thing to do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.