Community
Search

Ever bought to change your collection statistics

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever bought to change your collection statistics

After putting my relatively small collection on Guzzlefish, I realized that my most collected director was Kevin Smith. As much as I like Kevin Smith, I hadn't realized how little I had of other directors.

So, I bought the Billy Wilder 9 disc collection today. I would have bought it anyway, but admittingly, I did it partly to make my most collected director somebody with a bit more panache.

And I'm planning on buying the Ken Burns documentaries (Civil War, Baseball, Jazz) just to counterbalance my overabundance of stupid comedies.
Old 07-18-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you are kidding...right?
Old 07-18-03, 01:15 AM

Honestly, no.

Is it that the statistics point out holes in my collection? Or am I just the kind of guy that will eat 1 billion burgers just to make them change the sign??
Old 07-18-03, 02:05 AM

ugh.

panache?

Who are you trying to impress?
Old 07-18-03, 07:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My roommates and I include all of our DVDs into one collection. I have a roommate that has lots of Jackie Chan DVDs which put him in the top spot on our Guzzlefish list. So I bought 4 or 5 De Niro films to bump him into first on our Guzzlefish list.
Old 07-18-03, 07:55 AM

You are either in one sad little battle with yourself about what you are supposed to like (you seemed to be ashamed that you have so many "stupid" comedies) or you are REALLY desperate for people to think you are intelligent when they look at your collection.

For you to have all of those comedies in the first place, you had to have liked them. Why isn't that all that matters?
Old 07-18-03, 08:05 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
If you're trying to impress us, well, you've got bigger problems than that...

Anybody who would look down on you because your most collected director is Kevin Smith is not someone whose opinion you should care about.
Old 07-18-03, 08:14 AM

I don't buy to change stats but I do look into buying films of genres I am lacking.
Old 07-18-03, 12:08 PM

Some of these threads are so pathetic..oh well it's
a free country.
Old 07-18-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL. My most collected director is Kevin Smith and I'm proud of it. My collection is full of stupid comedies. I've always watched mostly comedies and I still do but my tastes are broadening. I'm trying movies in several other genres. Not because of statistics though. I don't care.

My guzzlefish list shows Kevin Smith as the most collected director. My most collected actor is a tie between Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny.

You can look at my collection if you want. I buy what I like. Look at my list, I own Screwed, Slackers, Home Alone 1 & 2, Dude Where's My Car....and many more. Oh well, I have a decent collection of movies I like and that's all that matters.

Ignore Big Momma's House....I own it but boy it stunk. Worst blind buy ever.

http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection...id&mediatype=D

Last edited by The Void; 07-18-03 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 01:43 PM
Banned

No, I've never bought DVDs based on swaying my guzzlefish statistics to a more favorable director/actor/genre whatever. I, however, will not go on to say say like other posters have stated 'you have problems' or 'this is pathetic' or anything like that. Everyone has their own reasons for buying DVDs. People collect DVDs like they would collect sports cards, of course I'm probably in the minority because like DVDs I never collected sports cards for their value. Anyway, like I said I never bought DVDs to change statistics I have bought DVDs based on other people's collections where I notice a certain person has a similiar collection and I check out ones I don't have. BTW, I guess it would of been pointless of you to list the Wilder set as a box set rather than individually since that is the main reason why you bought it. I find that kinda humorous when people have box sets and list them individually in Guzzlefish. I'm not gonna say in inflates the numbers because it doesn't, its actually more accurate, but it shows what kind of person that collector is.
Old 07-18-03, 01:47 PM

Who are you trying to impress
Anyone who knows what panache means.
Old 07-18-03, 04:08 PM

I think you buy whatever you buy based on your interest or monetary situation. I was suprised to see my final counts and
the statistics.

My number one actor = Samuel Jackson
My number one director = Steven Spielberg
My number one write = David Mamet

I also don't like the fact that they count collections as one entry
in the statistics. My Planet of the Apes Evolution or Rambo 3 pack count as one movie when in fact they should be multiple movies for statistics on actor/writer/director.

My guzzlefish
Old 07-18-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
I don't buy to change stats but I do look into buying films of genres I am lacking.
BINGO.

...as long as I really like that genre....
Old 07-18-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never pay attention to statistics,unless they happen to be 34-24-34
Old 07-18-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never done what you're describing, but I've intentionally browsed throught the top 100 at imdb or AFI top 100 for movie ideas. Although I feel this a little different as I'm trying to find ideas for good movies, not just trying to change some statistics. On the other hand I would guess that you're not just grabbing the first thing you come across and are actually buying things that you want anyway. So I guess I can relate on some level.
Old 07-18-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would I care to change my stats? I'm the only person who's looking at them (besides the occasional lurker who clicks the link in my sig every once in a while, but I'll never know who is looking at them, and when).

I buy what I like.
Old 07-18-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since I shelve DVD's according to genre, I will try to concentrate on finding trade-ins from a crowded shelf first. But I don't buy more just to have more of one genre, actor, director or whatever.
Old 07-18-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You did right. Kevin Smith should never be anyone's most collected director.
Old 07-18-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Kevin Smith was my #1 director as well until I got the Claude Chabrol box set which was a blind buy (the $100 to $19 misprice helped). I do buy to "inflate my stats" so that I remember what I should get, "Hey, I'm low on this genre"

It just helps me have a very balanced collection -- when it comes time to see a movie I like my choices to be wide.
Old 07-18-03, 09:53 PM
Banned

heh .. nahh man .. the only statistics other than studying women's .. would be tryin to change my own by diet, lifting .. blah blah.

As far as DVD collecting and interests go .. it's like what others have mentioned ... it's all about trying out new film genres other than main interests. That's the best benefit of DVDTalk and similar sites/locations, enabling the flow of ideas and thoughts about possibilities. I have my main interests tacked out, but I am open minded and always in search of new prospects that I otherwise may have not considered if it weren't for the advisement of fellow movie enthusiasts at places like this site. This place is a resource if anything else. Amelie, Donnie Darko, Akira Kurosawa titles may have never been found if it weren't for DVDTalk. In other words and back on point ... my interests vary but are fairly pinpointed. I'm always adding new titles to my collection weekly, but they will eventually include those rare gems that probably wouldn't have been found elsewhere. It's not about statistics or anything else other than taste and interest. Stats are for liberal minded people worried about defining a point. If my interest is provoked and if I believe that I've comfortably covered a certain area (genre) within my collection, I may begin selecting more obscure titles that I would have not previously cared for. When I feel that I've collected a majority of what interests me in the Sci-Fi area, I might then move on to picking up a few more dramas or foreign titles to spread out my tastes. It all depend on the mood .. not the statistic. Whatever makes you happy .. it's your collection, not anyone else's to judge.
Old 07-18-03, 11:19 PM

I'm not buying snob-ish pictures to outweigh stupid comedies. I love stupid comedies (I just got Dumb and Dumber and Undercover Brother today).

I didn't explain earlier. It's not that I'm trying to have a movie collection that doesn't reflect my movie tastes, that I'm trying to dress in tuxedos when all I want is t-shirts and sweat pants. What I'm trying to do is expand my movie collection beyond the stupid comedy genre. I just used the statistics on Guzzlefish to show me what I was lacking.

I won't buy what I won't watch (hence, the Charbrol collection probably won't see my shelves unless there's another mis-price). That's why I bought the Billy Wilder set. I loved Sunset Boulevard, Some Like It Hot, Stalag 17, and Double Indemnity. The box set only duplicated one movie I already had (Some Like It Hot), and had several movies I've been dying to see (The Apartment, Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, One Two Three). I would have bought the collection anyway, as I haven't been disappointed by Billy Wilder movies yet, and he covers several genres.

The reason for my starting the thread is that there have been alot of "most collected actor", "most collected director", and "most collected genre" threads. There does seem to be some focus on the statistics of a collection.

I want to get all of the Billy Wilder movies that are out on DVD, then I need Kubrick (of which I have none), Kurosawa, and Hitchcock. Buying and sorting movies based on director is kind of elitest, but it sure is fun.
Old 07-19-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All things considered, there's really nothing all that bad about having Kevin as your number one director.

If you have Adrian Lyne or Tony Scott on top...maybe it's time to go see the Wizard...

Concentrating on certain genres, Directors and stars to bring your collection into a better balance is perfectly cool, as long as you're buying things you want and will watch. If you're honestly trying to diversify (which seems to be the case), then that's cool.

If you're just trying to impress someone (unless it's, say, Ali Landry), you're probably making a mistake.

Oh, and buy Kubrick. You can't go wrong. Even his lesser films are worth owning.
Old 07-19-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never have. I buy exactly what I like or think I will like and nothing else.
Old 07-19-03, 01:53 AM

Ok, I'll admit I do this a little bit... One time I made a special trip to buy a new DVD when I realized I was at 499 DVDs- it was a DVD I would've gotten anyway, but I wanted to break 500 at the time.

Also, when I realized I was only missing a few years in my collection between 1925-2003 I wound up researching films that came out in those missing years and bought one of the last copies of the 8 disc OOP Universal Studios Classic Monster Collection with Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy, Invisible Man, etc. at Amazon (at a great price, too ), along with The Lady Vanishes and Strangers on a Train to fill up those holes. These are all great films that I would've gotten eventually.

And the latest, when faced with the choice of a third movie in a Best Buy '3 for $7.99 each' deal, a small part of the deciding factor of getting Quest for Fire is I'd finally get a DVD that started with 'Q'- the only letter I didn't have in my collection

And before anyone cries "Get a life", I enjoyed all of these purchases mentioned very much and I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't think I would have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.