Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Fight Club Fans, Chuck Palahniuk screenplay

Old 07-17-03, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I just joined a couple days ago, basically because I'd realised I've got so many dvds now I needed to join a group to talk about my problem... So, My name is Lissa and I'm a DVD buyer. just kidding... Anyway, I did want to apologize if this topic has been discussed before, I ran a search and it seemed like no one had talked about it.

Chuck Palahniuk wrote the book Fight Club as lots of you probably already know. He came to lil' old Austin for a book signing and confessed that he and David Fincher plan to write a screenplay together that will be called Pink. I know it's not near DVD release now... BUT I was wondering if anyone had any information on when this film would be coming out, if they are done writing it, who's in it, blah blah... etc. Any news would be great!

BTW, If you enjoyed Fight Club... You should read Chuck Palahniuk's other books. They are great. He's got a great style... anyway... yup.. thanks! and HI EVERYBODY! =)
Old 07-17-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hello smurfette! nice to have you here.

chuck p is great...i have heard the same rumor as you stated and even more. supposively all of his books have been written into screenplays. i heard this from a friend so im not sure on the validity but im all for another of his creations coming to the screen.
Old 07-17-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome to the forum! I doubt this exact topic has been brought up, but if it has, it wouldn't be here. Since this is more about the movie that will eventually get released (hopefully, anyway), this would more likely belong in the Movie Talk forum, where it will probably be moved to. Fight Club is my favorite movie, and David Fincher one of my favorite directors, so I'm definitely looking forward to this. I've read all of Chuck Palahniuk's books, except "Lullaby", which I'll be picking up soon. All great stuff.

K
Old 07-17-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The screenplay Chuck spoke of is an adaptation of Katie Arnoldi's novel "Chemical Pink." I didn't think much of the novel, but it might be an interesting film.

DJ
Old 07-17-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, seeing as how this is in the wrong forum anyway, let me mix up the topic even more. I don't think Chuck Palahniuk is a great author.

Yeah, Fight Club was great. Each following book, though, was like a distorted mirror image of Fight Club. Mentally disturbed protagonist, dirty trivial information that makes you giggle, and the reoccuring catch phrases.

Hack isn't the right word, but it is the first that comes to mind.

See also: hoaxer, horse trader, hoser.
Old 07-17-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Corvin
Hack isn't the right word, but it is the first that comes to mind.
I am Khalid's complete lack of irony.

Go watch The Crow: City Of Angels

K
Old 07-17-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047

Go watch The Crow: City Of Angels
Hehe, heartless you are. For shame.
Old 07-17-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Palahniuk is on a small tour to promote his nonfiction book Fugitives and Refugees.

Here are the dates.

I'm going to Barnes and Noble on the 24th. I'll ask about Chemical Pink if I can.
Old 07-17-03, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
I am Khalid's complete lack of irony.

K

WTF? Are you insulting me? I'm Khalid, damnit!
Old 07-17-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hehe, there's room for more than one, methinks.

I wonder if Mr. Palahniuk's gonna be stopping 'round these parts. I'd love to get him to sign my copy of Fight Club.

K
Old 07-17-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd definitely be very interested if this is true. With both their creative visions, this could turn out amazingly.

Chuck Palahniuk is definitely one of my favorite authors and Fincher is one of my favorite directors (Fight Club is my favorite movie, if you haven't figured that out already). I have also read all of Palahniuk's books (Except Fugitives and Refugees, even though I own it. I plan to soon.) Can't wait for Diary next month!

Thanks for the news!
Old 07-17-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hope this doesn't make the the thread move to Book Talk, but I've read CHOKE and FIGHT CLUB. What should I read next? (next best...)

David and Chuck struck gold once.. Can they do it again? Hmmm.. I'd love ta see the effort!

Oh..and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-17-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

BassDude: You neeeeeed to get Survivor next. His best work, IMO.
Old 07-18-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cosmic Bus
BassDude: You neeeeeed to get Survivor next. His best work, IMO.
i agree...although...i really enjoyed choke too! i cant decide between the two. i have read all his books. pretty good...not the best writing i have read but very entertaining and good stylish stories.
Old 07-18-03, 09:36 AM

next book to read

I would actually suggest Lullaby next. I was more impressed with that than Survivor, but I think Survivor would make an awesome movie. I guess they all would. His books are a bit repetitive, but he changes enough of the themes that I enjoy seeing his style and insight every time. In movie form the repetitive nature might not be as obvious. Fight Club is my favorite movie as well.
-Jack's Surprise
Old 07-18-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
I was disapointed in Choke. It seemed too repetitive of Fight Club. Reading the description of Survivor intrested me though. Is it more of the same? Also I've never been to a book signing but was thinking of going to one of his. Do you have to buy a book there or can I just bring Fight Club to have it signed?
Old 07-18-03, 01:23 PM

i loved choke. when i went to a book signing for lullaby he said that invisble monsters woeld probably be the next movie. survivor was supposed to be next but the studios thought plane crashes weren't so funny anymore. he said that the rights to choke had been bought too. i'll ask chuck about this in a month or so when he comes to dc.