Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Could I LIKE Splinter Cell If I Did NOT Like Metal Gear Solid2?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a question:

I did NOT like MSG2 at all. I thought the graphics were mediocre, the missions not compelling, and I got bored with it half way through and have not picked it up since.

However, I LOVED Hitman 2. It sounds like Splinter Cell is more stealth and less shoot-em that HM2, but if it's really along the lines of MSG2 I may not like it at all. So, it is really A LOT like MSG2, and/or how is it different? Another way, is it possible to really dislike MSG2 and LIKE Splinter Cell?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-03, 11:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Splinter Cell is beautiful, graphically (at least on X-Box... not sure how the other systems hold up). However, it is much more linear than Hitman 2 (which kicked much ass, indeed). SC's plot won't drag as much as MGS2, just because it's not as long. Also, no half-hour cutscenes in SC = yay!

I finished MGS2 and was pretty put out by it after looking back. I liked SC, though. The gameplay was good (albeit sometimes frustrating), and the gadgets you get to play with are neat.
Old 07-17-03, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splinter Cell was everything MGS2 SHOULD have been.. compelling storyline, amazing playability and interaction with your character and unlike MGS2 where half the time your asking yourself, "Why would Raiden do this, or that?", Splinter Cell puts you in the position you want to be in, using zip lines, rappeling and infrared that is amazing. Don't hesitate.
Old 07-17-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
It sounds like we have similar tastes, so I strongly suggest picking up Splinter Cell. I have owned all 3 (Hitman2, SC, & MGS2) and loved Hitman, loved SC, and hated MGS2.

Actually I didn't hate it but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I played all of them around the same time as each other. Hitman 2's controls are similar to SC whereas MGS2 handled like crap. (in comparison)

Hitman2 can be very stealthy if you want it to be or it can be an all out fun & gun. Just depends how you play it. SC is definitely more stealth but there is plenty of action to be had.
Old 07-17-03, 12:43 PM
Cat

I have not played Hitman 2, but Splinter Cell is much, much, much better than Metal Gear Solid. I liked Metal Gear, except for the long cut scenes, but Splinter Cell is so much more interesting. The graphics are great, the ambience really pulls you into the game, and it is just really fun to play. It isn't a "run and gun" type of game, but it really shouldn't be. It wouldn't make sense. I would recommend picking it up, but it can be difficult in parts and can try your patience, but what really good game doesn't?

Cat
Old 07-17-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I despise MGS2, but I love Splinter Cell. You can definitely love one and not the other.
Old 07-17-03, 01:24 PM

THANKS A LOT for all the great input. I was concerned because I heard SC compared to MSG2 in various ways in most reviews by most people, but now there is no doubt I will be picking up SC by week's end!

(While waiting I started Hitman2 over on the harder setting and it is QUITE a bit more difficult. Most annoying--a knife attack from behind does not kill the guy; they turn around, starting firing, and alert everyone. Time to move on to Splinter Cell...)
Old 07-17-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I also didn't care for MGS (especially the PS2 sequel), but LOVED Splinter Cell.
Old 07-17-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally posted by uteotw
(While waiting I started Hitman2 over on the harder setting and it is QUITE a bit more difficult. Most annoying--a knife attack from behind does not kill the guy; they turn around, starting firing, and alert everyone. Time to move on to Splinter Cell...)
Well, you gotta remember that just stabbing someone does not always kill them (this is real life remember ). Always strangle...never stab.
Old 07-17-03, 04:48 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved MGS (never played MGS2) and didn't care for Splinter Cell.

Splinter Cell is too much stealth for my tastes. Too much trial and error gameplay. By this I mean every level is basically, go a little ways, get caught, repeat until you figure out how not to get caught or killed, go a little further, get caught, start over, repeat ad naseum.

Of course, that's the way a stealth game should be, they're just not my cup of tea. In MGS you had the radar which took the guess work out of the game and really turned it into more of an action game.

But at any rate, my point is MGS and Splinter Cell are vastly different, so disliking one doesn't mean you'll dislike the other.

Give it a shot. It's a AAA stealth game, it's just not my cup of tea.
Old 07-17-03, 05:49 PM

Hmmmmm...

Josh, if I remember you hated The Matrix game, which I really liked. So, if you did NOT like Splinter Cell, maybe I'll really like it.

"Always strangle...never stab." Excellent advice.

I loved the stealth aspects of Hitman2, but it's true that sometimes it'd get so frustrating that I'd just HAVE to break out the Ballers and unload. I'd guess there's not much of that in Splinter Cell, but I still think I'll give it a whirl...
Old 07-17-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I for one love Metal Gear Solid and MGS2. I liked Splinter Cell.

Josh pretty much hit the problems with Splinter Cell on the head. That and I feel the missions aren't tied together very well. So at times it feels like you're playing through a bunch of seperate environments with no commonality.

Also I still think the story in Splinter Cell isn't very well developed. It starts off well but it just falls flat in the presentation. Some have said the story in Metal Gear Solid and MGS2 is too "fantastic", yeah well I admit that. The Metal Gear series is more akin to the 007 movies, of which Hideo Kojima is a huge fan of.

Don't forget Josh, you can play Metal Gear without the radar on Hard mode. Puts a new twist on the game play.

Anyway, give it a rental. At worst you lose $5.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 07-17-03 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-17-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MGS2 sucks. Splinter Cell is so much better and it is awesome.
Old 07-17-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
They're completely different games... they share some mild similarities in theme but otherwise have nothing in common (namely, MGS2 is like playing an action movie with some stealth elements.. Splinter Cell is like playing a stealth simulator with some action thrown in for good measure.)

I agree, the Story in SC isn't the greatest, but it's focus is more on gameplay as is, and the story is interesting at times - though it starts off in laalaa land. MGS2, IMO, had an entertaining story (especially being I hadn't played MGS before it), but they kind of hit you over the head with it - there's just too much (and too much non-sense mixed in with it). Splinter Cell is the direct opposite, and there almost isn't enough, but it flows well enough and is an incredibly engrossing game.

So in otherwords.. The games are totally different, so it's possible you can love one and loathe the other - only you can decide really.