Reload this Page >

Yes or No? Star Wars:KOTOR Strategy Guide

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-17-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rather simple, you getting a Strategy Gude or not. Explain. Also, would you reccomend a gamer new to RPGs to buy the Guide or not?
Old 07-17-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

EB made me buy. I'm going to return it to another EB when the copy of KOTOR I ordered online arrives today. I already did a PFB.
Old 07-17-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
http://www.gamefaqs.com
Old 07-17-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I will buy it when I buy the game.
Old 07-17-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might buy the strategy guide after I finish the game a few times. I don't enjoy knowing everything before I play, although I know some people who do. I also try not to read too much of the reviews, just enough to see if I'm interested in the game.
Old 07-17-03, 11:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I never buy strategy guides. It spoils the game, and you can get the same information for free on the internet.
Old 07-17-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I never buy strategy guides. It spoils the game, and you can get the same information for free on the internet.
I never buy strategy guides either, simply because the info is free and better on the internet. Usually the "official strategy guides" lack alot compared to gamefaqs.com in my opinion.
Old 07-17-03, 12:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by sniper308
I never buy strategy guides either, simply because the info is free and better on the internet. Usually the "official strategy guides" lack alot compared to gamefaqs.com in my opinion.
Often this is because in order to make publication deadlines, strategy guides are written against a beta or even alpha build of the game. It's only compounded when patches and other additional content is released.
Old 07-17-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no. much as others have said ^^^

i also find that if i have a faq or something, it sort of handholds me thru the game. so instead of me really investigating things, i just follow along.

i do find some references helpful though. like the moves list of a fighting game; i bought tekken 4's guide at best buy for a penny a while ago even though i don't even have the game i just like to look at the pretty pictures...
Old 07-17-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deleted. Please be a little more considerate when throwing around terms that may be offensive for other DVD Talkers. - Static
Old 07-17-03, 12:51 PM

I never buy the strategy guides. They take all the exploration out of a game. You go from point A to B... I'd rather play the game without any help and only resort to the internet if all my efforts fail. If I spend 3 days stuck at one point going on the internet.
Old 07-17-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by pixyboi
Deleted
How incredibly mature of you.
Old 07-17-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts
There are at least two areas that I can think of where printed strategy guides are better than Gamefaqs...

1) As someone mentioned before, fighting games. A good fighting game strategy guide will show all the moves and combos, and I can't stand ASCII representations of controller motions...

2) Maps. For exploration rpgs (like Metroid Fusion) and racing games, especially. Though someone on Gamefaqs did do a really good job with the GBA castlevania maps

I also find that it's impossible to find 100% of the "secrets" in most modern rpgs without referring to either a strategy guide or an faq.
Old 07-17-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Startegy Guide: Weak
GameFAGS.com: Weaker
Old 07-17-03, 03:24 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I agree, but it's a great star wars game and the full color guide looked so pretty. I ended up getting it just for the printed stories, pictures, and for reffering to the weapon/item point system and attributes. I won't use it to make my way through the game but it will be fun to flip through when away from my xbox.

I think EB usually discount the guides when you purchase the game.
Old 07-17-03, 03:54 PM

Why do people even use stradegy guides? I hear people complaining about how easy a game is or something but the reason it was so easy for them was because they used a guide. Game were meant to be played and figured out not walkthroughed by a book. BTW im not saying that useing a guide is a bad thing, I have used a couple myself before, im just trying to make a point
Old 07-17-03, 10:37 PM

I don't buy strategy guides because they are evil. Well, unless they have a poster of some hot chick. :P
Old 07-17-03, 10:52 PM
Suspended

Naw - not only does it spoil things, and that you can get the same information for free, there's one more tidbit that you may not know about. . .

Guides are often wrong!

See, I work as a game tester, and once in a while I get the chance to work with the folks at Prima, proofing their material for errors (I worked on the Motor City guide, amongst others). I was always more than happy to point out problems and better tatics. And they were always more than happy to ingore my advice and proceed with whatever the hell they wanted.

This happened a couple of times - leading me to the conclusion that they dont give a rats ass about quality - only about making a quick buck on people who dont know about gamefaqs.com.
Old 07-17-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brady Games guides are the only one's I ever consider picking up for RPG's as thier are pretty spoiler free with solid map and item location pictures. Thier FFX guide was pretty nice but it did have a few errors but nothing major.
Old 07-18-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I look at it like this, if you read the entire strat guide without even playing the game of course its going to ruin your experience of it. But if you only look at it when your specificly stuck then there is no shame in it. I dont see how using something to aid you like a book is weak. Now using a cheat device...thats low.
Old 07-18-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

seriously, games should be fun. if you're stuck and it's frustration city, by all means, get a faq or something to help out. just like how people ask in forums for help.

jokingly, this never happens to me... i am so smart that i never get stuck. not even in that myst game! bwhahahahaha.
Old 07-18-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not buying one. Never have. Gamestop offered me their last copy but I passed. I'm just going to use you guys if I get stuck.

Actually I'm stuck right now.
Spoiler:
I'm trying to figure out how to get past the rancor in the sewers. I've got Mission and Z the Wookie in my party.