Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Heist Flick: Matchstick Men

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Check it Out Opening Day?
"SHAME ON YOU (for asking)"! Yes, yes of course!
35.56%
Nah, but I will see about a later showing.
57.78%
Wouldn't touch it, don't wanna be "conned" out of time or money. Dur...
6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I only bring up these films because I keep seeing them at screenings and whatnot... anyway, Matchstick Men: starring Nick Cage, Sam Rockwell, and Alison Lohman, this'll be directed by Ridley Scott.

I'm pretty sure most of you have seen the preview for it since I too saw it prior to the T3 screening. Any thoughts on what it might be like?

Personally, I hope Sam Rockwell has a cool role in this even if he is playing second banana to main man, Nicholas Cage. I've been a mild fan of his since the Green Mile, Galaxy Quest, and parts of Welcome to Collinwood. Really diverse actor I might say... but does he have what it takes to play a counterbalance to a highstrung con artist with OCD??? Anyway, if this is pulled off incredibly well, I'd be interested in seeing him try his hand at a leading role.

Who is Alison Lohman? (I'm not looking for an IMDB link that'll lead me straight to a perfuctory bio/description. I wanna know if anyone's seen her work and has an opinion of how she might fare in this flick.) I know that her last role was in White Oleander, but I didn't see it--care for it.
Old 07-17-03, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think this is really a heist movie per se...
Old 07-17-03, 08:55 AM

Re: Upcoming Heist Flick: Matchstick Men

Originally posted by FHaggis

I'd be interested in seeing him try his hand at a leading role.
You should rent/buy Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, I thought it was an excellent movie lead by Sam Rockwell
Old 07-17-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seen the trailer twice in the theaters and it didn't interest me in the least. I'll pass.
Old 07-17-03, 10:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I'll probably end up seeing it with the great talent involved. Thought the trailer was nothing exceptional.
Old 07-17-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ridley Scott. That's good!

Crap trailer. That's bad.

Nic Cage and Sam Rockwell. That's good!

Nic acting like a wanker. That's bad.

"The topping contains sodium benzoate..."
Old 07-17-03, 11:16 AM

Anyone else see a plot parallel to 'Paper Moon'?
Old 07-17-03, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Phyre
Anyone else see a plot parallel to 'Paper Moon'?
(Thoughts thoughts, please expound!) (-;

Yeah! That's what I thought of when I encountered the trailer, but I only saw about half of the movie ages ago and really need to rewatch it.
Old 07-17-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually stay away from Nic Cage movies, he is just one of those actors who I can't stand to look at & I think is an extremely overrated actor.

But Sam Rockwell is becoming one of my favorites. I think I've liked every single role I've seen him do. So when you see it just post how Rockwell was in the movie.
Old 07-17-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love any trailer with the theme from Brazil in it (see also: Malkovich, Being John).

Co-written by Ted Griffin (Ravenous, Ocean's Eleven), which is a good sign.
Old 07-17-03, 05:38 PM
mwj

I am interested. Not enough to go opening day.
Old 07-17-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sessa17
I usually stay away from Nic Cage movies, he is just one of those actors who I can't stand to look at & I think is an extremely overrated actor.
Have you seen Adaptation?

If so, what'd you think?
Old 07-18-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
Have you seen Adaptation?

If so, what'd you think?
Yeah, he was pretty good, same with Las Vegas. I know most don't agree, but I judge actors based on diversity. Johnny Depp, Brian Cox, Gary Oldman, etc etc, those are the truly great & elite actors IMO. Nic Cage, every movie you see him in, he is just looks & seems like Nic Cage. He is either the eccentric character or the lame action hero. Many consider him of the great living actors, I think the guy is overrated. JUST my opinion.
Old 09-12-03, 08:47 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Ebert's 4-star review

here.

I'm seeing this over the weekend for sure!
Old 09-12-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I never go to movies on Fridays anymore, so I'll miss opening day, but definitely this weekend.
Old 09-12-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Couldn't answer this one because I already saw it in a sneak preview - but I would recommend it highly.
Old 09-12-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this movie and had mixed feelings. I really liked the performances, especially Alison Lohman's. The story was OK, but it didn't feel like anything that I hadn't seen in "con" films a handful of times before. Maybe I've seen to many "con" films, but I felt the story was a little to predictable. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it again because I enjoyed the characters so much.
Old 09-12-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do plan on seeing this movie, mainly because I'm a big Ridley Scott fan. However, Once Upon A Time In Mexico is also opening this weekend and that's where my money's going. I've been a Robert Rodriguez fan for about 10 years now and he has never let me down, so he's got my $10 this weekend. Maybe I'll catch Matchstick Men next weekend if I have time.
Old 09-12-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I've been a Robert Rodriguez fan for about 10 years now and he has never let me down, so he's got my $10 this weekend.
Really? Did you see "Spy Kids 3"?
Old 09-12-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He sure let me down this weekend, and I was the same way (even though I never saw Spy Kids 2 or 3...).
Old 09-12-03, 07:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I hated the trailer, but I enjoyed the movie. His tics reminded me alot of the show 'Monk', and I liked the interplay with the daughter. The heist portion of the plot was actually the least interesting part for me, and that was my main hook for seeing this, ironically. Good performances all around.
Old 09-12-03, 09:23 PM

I was expecting this to be okay, not the awesome film it turned out to be. Nicolas Cage completely OWNED the screen in this one. He made this thief into an actual sympathetic, endearing person. Rockwell, Lohman ( hot! ), and Bruce McGill shine too. Possibly the best acted movie I've seen this year. Hats off to Ridley Scott for not getting too flashy with his direction. A lot of people are complaining about the epilogue at the end of the film, but I didn't mind it. It brought some needed closure to the relationship between the two main characters. The movie was really about them anyway , not the big con, or the big plot twist. Grade: A -
Old 09-12-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
they did say "OWNED" in the bowling alley.. our society on screen again.
Old 09-13-03, 02:40 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

it was awesome!

i also saw once upon a time in mexico, which should be called "all the good parts are in the trailer" it blew chunks.
Old 09-13-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked the trailer for Matchstick Men and really like most of the people invovled...and for most of the film, I was loving it. It was hitting all the right notes and was turning into an excellent film... There was always one worry in the back of my mind though...something that I had thought just from seeing the trailer... something I thought would be stupid, predictable and knew that if they ran with that idea, it would derail the whole picture for me.

Needless to say, that's what happened.

Spoiler:
Having everyone con Cage just ruined it for me...or rather, let me rephrase that...having the DAUGHTER be IN on the con (and not be his daughter) ruined it for me. I don't care if Rockwell and everyone else in the flick took Cage for a ride... but it made all the scenes with Lohman just... pointless.... there were many many points in the film where I just KNEW she wasn't his daughter, but kept hoping that maybe they didn't take the easy route with this... just maybe, this girl was his daughter and he would learn to be a father to her.... maybe I'm too picky or have seen too many flicks of this nature, but the whole "twist" just felt more like a "**** you"...

So basically, it was a really really good movie if I forgive that part...but it could have been an EXCELLENT movie...

4 out of 5

MATT

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.