Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Home Making Shows

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-03, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Making Shows

Why is when my wife flips on these "Trading Spaces" clones, all I hear is one big DRONE of cackling, that only can be appreciated if one opened the door to a poultry house ?
Old 07-16-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dunno. I like Trading Spaces though. Might be a more useful show to me if I owned a house, had a thousand dollars to spend, and was in any way talented in redecorating.

They certainly show a lot of good ways to fix up a room cheap.
Old 07-16-03, 01:35 PM

Take my word for it, I don't even know you and I feel you're qualified to decorate, more than any of those people !
Old 07-16-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I watch them, I'm just glad its not me they're doing the remodeling to.
Old 07-16-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't like these shows at all, but i heard about one here (in Scotland/England) where KIDS redesign the home. with slides and jump rooms and secret computer rooms and junk like that. one parents' bedroom apparently got a firepole into the kitchen.

i've been trying to find it on tv here since i heard about it. but it hasn't been on.. sounds frickin' hilarious!
-di doctor-
Old 07-16-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is the cackling coming from your wife or from the show?
Old 07-16-03, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Is the cackling coming from your wife or from the show?
Good question !

It kind of melds together, until I have to leave the room, and turn on the other Tv set and get something masculine, like "Mail Call" on the History Channel. I only have to hear the DA-DA-DADADADADA...and I'm gone !

The ONLY "Trading Spaces" I watched, was the one with Andy Dick, and decorating his apartment. And he drove them CRAZY. They deserved that.

I feel their decorating ideas are cheesy. It's one thing to be economical and innovative, but cheesy shows in your house, and there are certain things one shouldn't cheat on. Especially, if it shows.

It's like the new "This Old House", with the guy with the glasses. When he mentioned that his building experience, only extended to surf boards, I quickly reached for my remote, and he was gone forever. I mean it's about credibility.
Old 07-16-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mikenyc
Take my word for it, I don't even know you and I feel you're qualified to decorate, more than any of those people !
I'm guessing you haven't seen many shows. There are some terrible things they do to some of the room -- Doug, in particular is an aweful redecorator -- he's had a few winners, but most of his stuff sucks. He has no eye for anything.

The asian guy, whose name escapes me, is very good. I've liked every single room he has done.

Just recently I saw them do a room in a "morrocan" style that turned out awesome. I was skeptical at first, but the finished product was very impressive.

I guarantee you that I could probably go head-to-head with Doug anytime and do a better job than him 9 times out of 10, but many of the other decoraters are very talented. I honestly think they keep Doug there because he sucks so much. It adds some drama to the show.
Old 07-17-03, 11:25 AM

Doug is the one who made that lady cry. Something to do with a fireplace that he trashed...It was quite hilarious...
Old 07-17-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally posted by DrRingDing
i don't like these shows at all, but i heard about one here (in Scotland/England) where KIDS redesign the home. with slides and jump rooms and secret computer rooms and junk like that. one parents' bedroom apparently got a firepole into the kitchen.

i've been trying to find it on tv here since i heard about it. but it hasn't been on.. sounds frickin' hilarious!
-di doctor-
There's a kids version of Trading Spaces. Caught Saturday morning while visiting my niece and nephew. It was much better than the grown-up version as the kids input/likes etc. were actually taken into account.

The one I saw a boy's room was changed into a cool basketball themed room, the girls room a rainforest motif.
Old 07-17-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Trading Spaces. But I find all of the various TS clones that are flooding the airwaves to be pretty unwatchable.