Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody been to a drive-in lately?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

According to this article, there are only a little over 400 left in the U.S. - anybody here been to one lately?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
Old 07-15-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I was just at the drive-in over the 4th holiday. Saw Finding Nemo and The Hulk. We still have 2 in our town. It's a shame the old days are done, with the cheesy movies that used to show at drive-ins.
Old 07-15-03, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was going to go to one over the 4th weekend. My wife has never been to one we ended up being too tired to go though. Probably good since we would have been seeing Charlies Angels.
Old 07-15-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not since Ralph and Potsie spilled a cherry soda on my date, Lori Beth.

Honk!
Old 07-15-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YES! My children and I have gone about 4 times now. We have two in the Phoenix area, and they are both multi-plexes. All are double-features. Our last one was XMen-2 and Daredevil. Crowds are never a problem so we bring the folding chairs in a bag, pop our own corn, bring a cooler with juice/soda, a boom box for the FM sound and take up two car spaces. Tuesday is cheap day, and I think kids under 12 are always free.

Last one I saw with a date was 1983. Rocky 3 and Clash of the Titans if I recall. They show Feature 1, Feature 2, then Feature 1 again. We stayed until almost 2am.

Of course, with 116 degree days, the drive in is out until September. But we have gone in the middle of January when it's 70!

Last edited by BassDude; 07-15-03 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 04:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
There are 3 or 4 of them still around in the Twin Cities area. I went to 2 last summer, but none this year yet. I'll have to change that soon.
Old 07-15-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a few friends that go quite regularly, but I haven't had a chance to join them yet.
Old 07-15-03, 06:43 PM

I am missing out, I have actually only even seen one drive-in establishment in my life on the way to somewhere else, I don't think WI has many, if any that I am aware of, it sounds like a cool experience
Old 07-16-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Ohhh.... How I miss going to the Drive-In. One of the fondest sets of memories from my childhood. I used to live near a huge four screen Can-View Drive In in Ontario (the one that was hit with a Tornado during the movie TWISTER, although I later found out that the actual screen that was hit and destroyed wasn't the one showing TWISTER).

The Four screen set up was great cause you could keep one eye out the window and view the movies on your neighbouring screens. I remember watching DRAGNET while listening to JAWS:THE REVENGE. They usually played the hard R-rated movies on the fourth screen which was behind the concession building, to sort of sheild it from casual sight I guess. I remember when my brother discovered that if we climbed onto the roof of our parent's van we could see the top half of the forbidden screen. Our most exciting moment was when they showed LIFEFORCE and we caught a half-glimpse of that space-girl's breasts.

On the holidays they'd show 4 movies. A dusk til dawn marathon. My parents always refused to sit through all four movies. I thought they were mad. Who in their right mind didn't want to sit in a vehicle and watch movies till the sun came out, I used to think.

It was the greatest feeling in the world, sitting outside in a lawn chair, listening to the movie on your radio, lighting those green-coiled things to smoke away the bugs. I was so proud of myself the first time I was able to stay awake for both features.

By the time I was ten my parents had gotten sick of the whole drive-in experience. They heated sitting in the car for so long. They moaned about their backs anytime I begged them to take us back. The last movie we went to see was BATMAN, and we didn't even stay for the second feature (Which was BEETLEJUICE). 'Why do we need to stay?' my father questioned. 'You can rent it on VIDEO!'

Haven't been to the drive-in in fifteen years. Can't see myself going back again ever. Ahh, those days are over. Those sweet sweet days are over.
Old 07-17-03, 11:12 AM

We have two in the area (one with two screens!). I have gone twice so far this year (Finding Nemo, Charlie's Angels and T3, The Hulk). Went about 8 or 9 times last year. I love the drive-in.
Old 07-17-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been to the drive-in here in the Bay Area twice. But didn't really watch the movies.
Old 07-17-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Not for a while. The last movie I saw in one was the Matrix (not an ideal drive-in movie due to too much plot).
Old 07-17-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the one here charges per person not by car load
If I'm going to pay $8.50 or more I want surround sound
Old 07-18-03, 12:30 AM

I went to a drive in last summer, about this time in July. I saw Men in Black II and Minority Report. We drove in some old 50's car and we couldn't get the sound in the car because it didn't have an FM radio so we had to listen to it on the crappy speakers that were scattered around the place.