Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo sells 3 million, but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halo sells 3 million, but...

...it still isn't a Platinum Hit. Despite being on the market for nearly 2 years now and selling over 3 million copies. I guess Microsoft needs to recoup their losses on Xbox systems somehow.
Old 07-14-03, 11:29 PM

Why would they want to sell it for half price when people are still willing to pay full price?
Old 07-14-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indeed. Why sell a certified HIT at a below baragin price? It's still th reason people buy an XBOX.
Old 07-14-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
usually greatest hits are released for games that at one point were big sellers at one point and now are lacking because of a sequel or something.. Halo wont reach greatest hits status till halo 2 is released, I would say.
Old 07-14-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sort of what grand theft auto was like on the ps2...

the platinum hits aren't a favor to us... it's just business.
Old 07-15-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
On the other hand, one of the very first PS2 GH title was Grand Tourismo 3 A-Spec even though it was selling well at full price and was less than a year old. I think it may have helped sell the system. Certainly Nintendo helped move GC units by packaging recent "A" games like MP with the cube.
Old 07-15-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its really the consoles only major hit. They will lower it to $19.99 when Halo 2 comes out, because that game will be a huge seller. You don't lower the price on the only game that is selling like hotcakes. Sony didn't lower the price of GTA3 until the sequel was out.
Old 07-15-03, 08:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Halo is the one game that nearly everybody who owns an Xbox has. They'd be nuts to lower the price until the sequel.

Still, it goes on sale a lot and you can get it at a good price.
Old 07-15-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Similar to Final Fantasy X for PS2... though I've seen it lowered to the 39.99 price most Sony games are at these days, it's still never made greatest hits. I think both it and Halo will make it when the sequels come out.
Old 07-15-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am the only Xbox owner with over 15 games and none of them is called "Halo"
Old 07-15-03, 11:22 AM

Those were some fond memories of coming home from work to play Halo through for the first time. I miss the controller throwing fits during "The Library" level.

Even though I've played it through over a dozen times, I would love to be in Lastblades shoes and then play it for the first time.
Old 07-15-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I have played Halo. I would say about 2 hours worth of it. But everytime I tried to play it, I get serious motion sickness, I want to puke after about 30 minutes, perhaps, that's the reason why I don't own it (but I can play other FPS, I have logged an uncountable number of hours in Quake 2, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc)
Old 07-15-03, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
LastBlade, same here. Motion Sickness is keeping me from this game.
Old 07-15-03, 01:27 PM

As other said its simply too big a seller to lower the price on. I got mine a few weeks ago when Target had it on sale for 28 bucks or something like that, considering it goes for about that much used on ebay I feel I did good
Old 07-15-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still got Halo Rain Check but i am not going pickup an extra copy (Just save the Rain Check & Pickup New release titles for 45% off instead)

The 1 & only game i really want now is "SOUL CALIBUR II"
Old 07-15-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
Why would they want to sell it for half price when people are still willing to pay full price?

To do something nice for the customer? Imagine that.....
Old 07-15-03, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Lastblade
Actually, I have played Halo. I would say about 2 hours worth of it. But everytime I tried to play it, I get serious motion sickness, I want to puke after about 30 minutes, perhaps, that's the reason why I don't own it (but I can play other FPS, I have logged an uncountable number of hours in Quake 2, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc)
When I first played Halo, a friend of mine came over and was watching me play. After a little while he said that it was making him queezy. I thought he was just ragging on my xbox until he stepped outside. I paused the game to have a smoke and saw that he was really sick. He looked white as a ghost. My cousin was the same way when he watched me play Serious Sam.

The funny thing is that I get seasick everytime I'm on a sea vessel, but the games don't bother me.
Old 07-15-03, 07:30 PM

Stock up on Dramamine and suck it up, you don't know what you're missing!!!

Old 07-15-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by WOWZY
When I first played Halo, a friend of mine came over and was watching me play. After a little while he said that it was making him queezy. I thought he was just ragging on my xbox until he stepped outside. I paused the game to have a smoke and saw that he was really sick. He looked white as a ghost. My cousin was the same way when he watched me play Serious Sam.

The funny thing is that I get seasick everytime I'm on a sea vessel, but the games don't bother me.
I have the same problem with first person shooters and not just Halo. Its a reason I rarely play them. I enjoyed Quake II a lot when it first came out for the PC, but there were times it made me very queezy.
Old 07-16-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lastblade
I am the only Xbox owner with over 15 games and none of them is called "Halo"
I'm there with ya. I bought Halo at a really cheap price around $29.99 and then played a demo from OXM and absolutely hated the game. Just wasn't my cup of tea. So I returned the game and I too have more than 15 games and not a single one is called "Halo."
Old 07-16-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obviously no game can be all things to all people but I would recommend playing more than the demo before casting judgement on Halo. When I began playing it I had the "is this what all the fuss is about?" attitude at first but by the end I was blown away.

As far as the motion sickness thing there was a time where I couldnt play ANY FPS without getting dizzy and a dull headache. But through sheer determination and countless hours of gaming I have beaten my body into submission. I now can play pretty much any game with no ill affects. It also helps to increase the refresh rate on your monitor too.
Old 07-16-03, 03:30 AM

I think you can show your body who's boss and force it to get used to it. Few years back, I couldnt play ANY FPS, Quake and the likes would make wanna hurl after a few seconds. Now, I can play Ghost Recon, Halo, Serious Sam, and RTCW for a decent amount of time. I still get sick, but its not nearly as bad, usually after about an hour its when I started getting it, but can push on for another hour, then it becomes a pain.
Old 07-16-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But it is the other way around for me (for motion sickness), a few years ago, I can play EVERY SINGLE FPS (computer/consoles), I have played more Quake 2 than I care to disclose Also played an ungodly amount of Unreal Tournament, and some of N64's best! However, I can't even play Half-Life on the computer now (but I know I was fine with it when it first came out, WTF??).

I think my body is regressing due to old age. Pretty soon, I will think 2600 games have too complicated controls.
Old 07-17-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
Halo is the one game that nearly everybody who owns an Xbox has.
With that many out there, just think... Like Atari Combat now, in 20 years Goodwill won't even be able to give them away.
Old 07-18-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt Halo will go platinum and have a price drop until Halo 2 is out. I don't see them dropping the price of their cash crop just yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.