Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Monster House tonight: movie theater inspired (7/14)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to alert everybody to this tonight (7/14) on Discovery. they'll be doing some sort of movie theater inspired house. Should be interesting.
Old 07-14-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, it comes on at 7:00 p.m. (central) I believe.
Old 07-15-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
They seem to be getting some crappy crews in the last couple of builds.
I liked the guy last week that admitted that he had no experience as an electrician, and was trying to find something he was good at, after spending 4 days trying to install a light switch.
Old 07-15-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That electrician guy from last week was quite possibly the dumbest person I have ever seen. Every time he talked I was just utterly amazed at how incredibly stupid he was. I didn't think there were actual people in real life who were that stupid. He seemed like a TV character or something.

I am totally hooked on this show. Steve Watson is just amazing. I think I have a monster crush.
Old 07-15-03, 09:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
thanks for the heads-up!
Old 07-15-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love this show.

The old west house and the midevil house turned out pretty good.

I like Watson because he always says, "It has to be functional, it has to be practical, these people have to live here." On some other shows, especially Trading Spaces I get the feeling that a lot of the stuff they do would be hard to live with or not work at all.
Old 07-15-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the finished "movie house" looked pretty shoddy. Especially the cheap woodgrain used on the concession stand - which simply was not enhanced by the half-assed stain job that they did to finish out the job.

I'd be seriously pissed if I was the female carpenter. Spending almost all of the 5 days cutting out - what? - 10 carpet stars would've been fairly demeaning, IMHO.
Old 07-15-03, 05:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I wondered after the "Electrician" debacle (if that's the word) what kind of interview process is involved with these builders?

Of course, I guess he paid the price by lookinglike a total doofus on the show. I almost feel sorry for the guy. I guess he thought this was some "half-way" house or therapy center.
Old 07-15-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by rduncan
I wondered after the "Electrician" debacle (if that's the word) what kind of interview process is involved with these builders?
I have to assume that they intentionally hire one or two 'difficult' people in each crew in order to increase the drama for TV.

I'm sure they also edit the footage in such a way that cuts out all of the things one person does right so that it looks like there was a lot more strife on set than there actually was.

That's standard operating procedure on many "reality" shows.

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-15-03 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Z
I have to assume that they intentionally hire one or two 'difficult' people in each crew in order to increase the drama for TV.

I'm sure they also edit the footage in such a way that cuts out all of the things one person does right so that it looks like there was a lot more strife on set than there actually was.

That's standard operating procedure on many "reality" shows.
This may all be true, but the person in question was suppose to be an electrician, and it took him 4 days to install a light switch. Which still was not finished and had to be completed by someone else. Not a whole lot of editing was needed for this nimrod meathead.
Old 07-15-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That guy also took like a whole day to re-run the cable wire that was cut by mistake. Even I know how to do that.
Old 07-16-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cusm
This may all be true, but the person in question was suppose to be an electrician, and it took him 4 days to install a light switch. Which still was not finished and had to be completed by someone else. Not a whole lot of editing was needed for this nimrod meathead.
This just goes to my point about them hiring difficult people intentionally to add to the drama.

"Have you ever... screwed in a lightbulb?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"We have an electrician!"
Old 07-16-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Durin the opening credits, he was introduced as "Whoever...a certified electrician"

And later in the show the host said he lied on his application, so maybe it wasn't as intentional as one may think. Or maybe the produceres want us to think that they think that we think it is intentional.

The theater was decent. I really like the host. He seems like a real stand-up guy. He isn't mean or whatever, and seems genuwine when dealing with the builders.

Oh yeah, I like in the last show when one of the builders needed a power nailer, and the foreman or whatever didn't want him to use one because the fist guy wasn't certified to use one!! I believe any idiot can go to Home Depot on buy one.
Old 07-16-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
I thought the finished "movie house" looked pretty shoddy. Especially the cheap woodgrain used on the concession stand - which simply was not enhanced by the half-assed stain job that they did to finish out the job.

I'd be seriously pissed if I was the female carpenter. Spending almost all of the 5 days cutting out - what? - 10 carpet stars would've been fairly demeaning, IMHO.
Absolutely horrible show. I would be embarrased to show that "theater" to my friends. Aside from the few interesting decorating ideas, the implementation of the projector/screen and equipment was pathetic. Love the shiny ceiling tile right in the light path . . .
Old 07-16-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jon-w9
And later in the show the host said he lied on his application, so maybe it wasn't as intentional as one may think.
They also mentioned in the last show how that older carpenter did not disclose that he had arthritis. I was wondering why he agreed to do such an intense show. He acted like he had all the time in the world.

So not knowing much about tools-- are those prizes really worth it?

It seems like these guys really bust ass for $3000 worth of tools. I thought most construction people made good money and you would thing working a week of 16 hour days they could earn enough money to buy $3000 tools. I wonder if some of these people are unemployed and that's why they have the time to do this show. That could explain why some of them seem a little under-qualified.
Old 07-16-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jadzia
They also mentioned in the last show how that older carpenter did not disclose that he had arthritis. I was wondering why he agreed to do such an intense show. He acted like he had all the time in the world.

So not knowing much about tools-- are those prizes really worth it?

It seems like these guys really bust ass for $3000 worth of tools. I thought most construction people made good money and you would thing working a week of 16 hour days they could earn enough money to buy $3000 tools. I wonder if some of these people are unemployed and that's why they have the time to do this show. That could explain why some of them seem a little under-qualified.
Surely part of it is just the fun of taking part in something like that, but also 5 days at 16 hours/day for $3000 would equal $80 per hour. I don't think they make THAT much money.
Old 07-17-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Boot
Surely part of it is just the fun of taking part in something like that, but also 5 days at 16 hours/day for $3000 would equal $80 per hour. I don't think they make THAT much money.
Also, they probably figure that the exposure on television will be good for business down the road (not thinking that they'll come across like giant jackasses when the episode airs).
Old 07-18-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gave up on Monster House after two episodes. Sorry, I'm a monster garage fan. At least the "host", Jesse James, is the top dog, and is actively involved in planning and building the projects. However, lately, they have been skipping over the $3,000 budget with a lot of the "Freebies".
Old 07-18-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the fan pick rock crawler that had about $30,000 worth of freebies. They need to curb that and go back to the real freebies, like the dragster body that was in Jesse's garage.