Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

After 12 year hiatus.... Pixies Reunite!!!!!!!!!!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

After 12 year hiatus.... Pixies Reunite!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-03, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pixies Reunite!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-07/14.shtml

oh yeah!
Old 07-14-03, 12:44 PM

That would be sweet. Hopefully this will pan out.
Old 07-14-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man. I guess since Kim Deal isn't really doing anything these days she may have cooled down her prima donna attitude and decided to work with Frank Black. I hope something comes of this .
Old 07-14-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmmm hmmm! Well, the artists involved have been through some changes in these many years, so I don't know what it will yield...but hopefully something good.
Old 07-14-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-14-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really hope something comes of this.

Mayhap a new album down the road? Then the concert tour?

I'd love the chance to see them back together and live!
Old 07-14-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I personally wouldn't really like them to release a new album unless it was some sort of live effort. The era that helped breed their creativity is gone and I feel that what they come out with now may not be the same.

Having said that, if Frankie and the gang were to start a live tour and come to Philly, I would be there in a heartbeat !
Old 07-14-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I thought they got better with each album. Hopefully if they release some new music, that trend will continue.
Old 07-14-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
very interesting...hopefully they tour.
Old 07-14-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Considering the last Breeders album was so-so at best, I'm hoping this is true. Deal seems to need some discipline in her life, being part of someone else's band might be good for her again.
Old 07-15-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Man, oh man, I loved The Pixies, but couldn't stand any of Frank Black's solo work. The first couple of Breeders albums were good, but not up to Pixies standards.
Old 07-15-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This reunion would seem natural to me. Can't believe it's been over 10 years, but it just seems like something that should happen.
Old 07-15-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
this is a good thing.
Old 07-15-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't hold my breath for this. FB is known for tweaking interviewers, and he seems quite content with his prolific work with The Catholics. This is on the official unofficial frankblack.net site:

I have heard from a close and reliable source of our gallant hero, Frank Black, that this is the Official Word™ on the Pixies reunion:

"Finally, as for the latest rumor (#398) that the Pixies are going to reunite for a tour (as mentioned by FB on London's Xfm radio)... here's the lowdown from the inside : The Pixies will get together later this year to record a new double album of Latvian children's lullabies, after which they will tour each and every country whose name begins with the letters Cz."

So there you have it!

That definitely sounds more like Frank
Old 07-15-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
I want a new album only if they can get Steve Albini to produce, and they have to give him complete control.
Old 09-10-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

News today on MTV and VH1 about a reunion

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/147...headlines=true

I still think it's bull, my comments are above.
Old 09-10-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
:I guess since Kim Deal isn't really doing anything these days she may have cooled down her prima donna attitude and decided to work with Frank Black.
Why just blame her? She had some excellent songs (I love both Pod and The Last Splash) and she wasn't getting to do most of them. I'm glad for her prima attitude, since I love both of those albums.

What's better? Frank Black's solo albums or the Breeders albums? For me it's the Breeders, so I'd say she was being held back a bit. Since the new Breeders CD wasn't so great, I have no objection to the Pixies getting back together but Frank Black needs to share a bit more of the spotlight or the same thing will happen again.
Old 09-10-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
from PITCHFORKMEDIA

Pixies To Reunite For Tour In April 2004; New Album Possible

John L. Ferrer and Will Bryant report:
There's that rare time when a sarcastic, jaded music news site has to report without any sarcasm or irony. Short of the Velvet Underground, there's no band more beloved, more important, more cited as an influence in indie rock than the Pixies. Whether you're strictly a Doolittle man (surely one of the finest damn rock albums ever) or an obsessive who can name every Trompe le Monde b-side, the Pixies' contributions to the alternative rock canon are sacred texts, the alpha cell of a paisley-flecked v23 flowchart that, down various impeccably typeset branches, might lead to Nirvana, to the Breeders, to Throwing Muses, Guided By Voices, Modest Mouse, Trail of Dead, or Enon.

Sadly, most of these revelations weren't made until after the band's prime. Since their reportedly messy and bloody demise in 1993, fans have signed on by the dozens-- based partially on the recommendation of Kurt Cobain, and partially by their desire to find something truly exuberant, legitimate, funny and weird in their music. Anyone born in the '80s might surely have at some point sighed and abandoned all hope of seeing the Pixies on stage at all. In a sense, the idea of a Pixies reunion has almost become a joke, the indie-kid version of "Yeah, when pigs fly." So when the report came in July that all four original members (that's Black Francis, Kim Deal, David Lovering, and Joey Santiago) have been secretly practicing together every couple of blue moons since the breakup, there was the first glimmer of hope.

Now that the heavyhandedness is past, here comes the point. The glimmer is now a full-blown supernova. It's happening. In April. No dates yet, not even any quotes from the group's principals-- just a band spokesperson's promise to MTV, who broke the story. The source, who remains unnamed in MTV's story, also claims that if all goes well a studio album will follow.

The Pixies. Are back. Together. Music is saved. Lovers of rock, unite and cheer. This is going to truly own.

At least these guys sound optimistic.
Old 09-10-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At this point, the only thing a reunion tour could do would be to tarnish their positively glowing backwards-looking praise.

Anybody see the Jane's Addiction reunion?

Anybody wish they hadn't?

My point, exactly.
Old 09-10-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't hold out much hope for this, not that it won't happen but, like grunter suggested, that it would be a Good Thing. Anyone have an example of a band re-uniting many years after a break-up and haitus, touring, making a new album, and coming up all roses?

-Gunshy
Old 09-10-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gunshy
I don't hold out much hope for this, not that it won't happen but, like grunter suggested, that it would be a Good Thing. Anyone have an example of a band re-uniting many years after a break-up and haitus, touring, making a new album, and coming up all roses?

-Gunshy
The Descendents got back together in 1996. That album was great, and they were great on tour too. Of course, they haven't released an album since, but that's the first one that came to my mind.

I wish the Police would get back together. That would be really cool if this Pixies rumor was true. I'd be there in a second.
Old 09-11-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gunshy
Anyone have an example of a band re-uniting many years after a break-up and haitus, touring, making a new album, and coming up all roses?

-Gunshy
Well, Roxy Music got back together a couple of years ago to tour. They said they weren't interested in making any new music, but the live DVD they put out is fantastic.

& Television got back together & put out an album in '92. It's not perfect, but has lots of good stuff on it that I wouldn't want to be without...

(& by the way, I like the last Breeders album quite a bit. I haven't played it in months, but it did really grow on me.)
Old 09-11-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Grunter, I kind of agree with you. I saw the reformed Television and Big Star (with the Posies playing the part of backing band). It was cool watching them play, but kind of came across as nostalgia... which is not a bad thing necessarily.

As a Pixies fan the first time around and only seeing them open for U2, I don't think I'd bother going to see them if they do reform.
I hope they don't record anything either... seems they kind of ran out of steam near their end. But, overall if it brings some fun and sun to fans, then go for it.
Old 09-11-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Pixies couldn't get a rave review if they killed for it when they were together. Now, people are calling them the best american band of the late eighties. I love Surfer Rosa and Doolittle, but Bassonova and Trompe le Monde are pretty uneven. I think that they're a little overrated. There were tons of other bands around at that time or slightly earlier that never got the amount of press the Pixies got and were just as good if not better (Husker Du springs to mind). I guess you're famous when you're dead.
Old 09-11-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Hiro11
There were tons of other bands around at that time or slightly earlier that never got the amount of press the Pixies got and were just as good if not better (Husker Du springs to mind).
Hiro, I brought up this point a year ago and got a pretty harsh reaction from it. The Pixies came out just as I was ending 4 years at college and spinning "alt" rock or whatever you wanna call it on an anything-goes campus station. I LOVE the Pixies, but sometimes I scratch my head when I see such gushing praise for them today. I recently watched a documentary on them and Bowie, Bono, PJ Harvey and others were pretty much saying how they were the best U.S. band from the 80's. I wonder what else they were listening to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.