Final Countdown R1 remastered?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always knew how horrible the release of The Final Countdown DVD from PCE was. I ordered a copy when it was first released and didn't own it for a day before I resold it. It was that bad. Checking eBay listings now, I see new "remastered" versions from PCE being sold there.

Did PCE really redo the film? Auction listings say the picture is crystal clear. Anyone seen this new updated version? I was pretty much set on buying the Region 4 DVD and playing it on my region free player.
Old 07-14-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The quick use of the "search" function would have found you this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...inal+countdown
Old 07-14-03, 04:29 PM

I used the search and found the thread before posting this thread. However, it doesn't answer my question. There are lots of eBay listings for a "remastered" version (Region 1) and I'd like to know if anyone has seen this updated version.
Old 07-14-03, 08:34 PM

From www.thedigitalbits.com today:

Okay... we've looked into this Final Countdown DVD from "Triumph Marketing" and we've discovered that they are, in fact, connected to Pacific Family Entertainment. That means that the DVD being offered on Amazon is likely the same disc PFE released before. We have it, and it's a real mess. The film transfer isn't anamorphic and the video is the worst we've ever seen on DVD. The film fades up from black (or should we say gray, because the blacks are washed out and lifeless) to the softest DVD video you'll ever seen. This looks like VHS tape. Hey... if you guys at PFE HAVE fixed this disc, drop us an e-mail and let us take a look at it. If it's better, we'll be the first to admit it. Otherwise, our suggestion to readers is to avoid it like the plague.

We are REALLY getting tired of talking about this film on DVD. Somebody PLEASE just release even a passable version of this flick on disc and be done with it! Sadly, "Triumph Marketing" also has the DVD release rights to Convoy, directed by Sam Peckinpah as well. 'Nuff said.

So there we are -- hopes once again crushed...
Old 07-14-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by laseca
I used the search and found the thread before posting this thread. However, it doesn't answer my question.
Proper forum ettiquette would be to post a new message in that existing thread asking for more information. There is no need to create multiple threads about the same topic.
Old 07-14-03, 11:32 PM

Laseca:

Only in our dreams.

Skip
Old 07-14-03, 11:33 PM

Josh:

People don't even aply proper ettiquette in their real lives anymore, why should they apply it to forum behavior.

Skip
Old 07-14-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad you all don't have what I have. I have the R4 version
I'm sure a lot of people do. I do. Others will have the R2.
Old 07-15-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by danol
Too bad you all don't have what I have. I have the R4 version that with my x, y, scaling. I have a really clear view of now made anamorphic transfer, without any loss via zooming. There are 16 chapters including the closing credits.

The R4 version really isn't anything to write home about. Yes, it's better than the travesty that is the R1 disc, but it's still not that great. Also, you can't make a disc anamorphic through the settings on you equipment. Either a disc is anamorphic or it isn't. You can't create picture information that isn't there in the first place.

As for the original question, I'm curious as well to hear if the disc has been remastered. I noticed that PFE has finally put a UPC code on the dvd which was absent when I bought mine.
Old 07-15-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by skipnet
Josh:

People don't even aply proper ettiquette in their real lives anymore, why should they apply it to forum behavior.
This is a moderated forum, specifically for that purpose.
Old 07-15-03, 01:03 PM

Even though the release day for this "remastered" R1 version is in early August, I see many "remastered" R1 versions of this movie already up on eBay. I'd rather wait and hear some feedback after the official release.
Old 07-15-03, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by danol
...you don't have a clue as to what x, y, scaling is all about! You take a LBX 2.35:1 then scale if for anamorhic 2.35:1 then watch the rest of the movie anamorphicly.

Originally posted by D-Ball
Also, you can't make a disc anamorphic through the settings on you equipment. Either a disc is anamorphic or it isn't. You can't create picture information that isn't there in the first place.

Agreed. A DVD is either anamorphically enhanced for 16X9 TVs or it isn’t, regardless of one’s equipment. X, Y scaling on a DVD player has nothing to do with how a disc is encoded. I use scaling all the time on my Malata for non-anamorphic discs, but it by no means makes the picture data “anamorphic.”

Last edited by Commander Dan; 07-15-03 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It should go without saying that Danol is incorrect. He does not seem to understand what "anamorphic" actually means.
Old 07-15-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Sorry to take this further off topic but why do people use X-Y scaling and not Zoom? I have a player with this feature but I don't understand the benefit, probably because I don't have a widescreen setup. Isn't X-Y scaling going to either crop the sides or distort the image?

The only time I used scaling was to correct a vertically stretched lousy transfer. Found it to be a very handy feature to have in that unusual situation.
Old 07-15-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by philo
Sorry to take this further off topic but why do people use X-Y scaling and not Zoom? I have a player with this feature but I don't understand the benefit, probably because I don't have a widescreen setup. Isn't X-Y scaling going to either crop the sides or distort the image?

The only time I used scaling was to correct a vertically stretched lousy transfer. Found it to be a very handy feature to have in that unusual situation.
I use zoom on my Malata. I have a 4:3 tv, and I zoom out to get the most picture with little overscan. But I know that on widescreen TVs, some players don't react as well, and the picture can be a little distorted vertically or horizontally.
Old 07-15-03, 10:36 PM

Since nobody has updated this thread with the new info from www.digitalbits.com

Here ya go:

In other news this morning, we have an update on the new Final Countdown DVD, finally with at least a little bit of new information. In retrospect, our comments yesterday were a bit harsh, reflecting our frustration with the previous DVD release. So our apologies to Pacific Family Entertainment and Triumph Marketing for that. The good news is, we have been in contact with PFE, and they've officially confirmed to us that the DVD has been remastered to improve the video quality of their original release. So the new DVD up for sale on Amazon.com (due on 8/19) is the remastered version. The bad news is, we have no further official details than that, and it's unlikely we'll see the disc before its release. However, we've also been in contact with a video retailer who we trust, who has seen the new version. He tells us that, while the newly remastered widescreen video isn't anamorphic, it IS an improvement on the original PFE release. We don't know whether the audio has also been remastered, but it should be Dolby Digital 5.1 like the original disc. The disc should also include the film's theatrical trailer, as did the original. So while it still isn't the special edition many of you have been waiting for, the improved quality should make it at least worth a purchase for fans. We get at least 2 or 3 e-mails a week about this title, so we know how badly you guys out there want this film on DVD. Hopefully, if this disc sells well, PFE and Triumph will revisit the title with more extras and an anamorphic transfer in the future. Note that the disc art above is for the original version - we don't know if the new art is identical or not
Old 07-15-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Muah'dib
Since nobody has updated this thread with the new info from www.digitalbits.com

Here ya go:

In other news this morning, we have an update on the new Final Countdown DVD, finally with at least a little bit of new information. In retrospect, our comments yesterday were a bit harsh, reflecting our frustration with the previous DVD release. So our apologies to Pacific Family Entertainment and Triumph Marketing for that. The good news is, we have been in contact with PFE, and they've officially confirmed to us that the DVD has been remastered to improve the video quality of their original release. So the new DVD up for sale on Amazon.com (due on 8/19) is the remastered version. The bad news is, we have no further official details than that, and it's unlikely we'll see the disc before its release. However, we've also been in contact with a video retailer who we trust, who has seen the new version. He tells us that, while the newly remastered widescreen video isn't anamorphic, it IS an improvement on the original PFE release. We don't know whether the audio has also been remastered, but it should be Dolby Digital 5.1 like the original disc. The disc should also include the film's theatrical trailer, as did the original. So while it still isn't the special edition many of you have been waiting for, the improved quality should make it at least worth a purchase for fans. We get at least 2 or 3 e-mails a week about this title, so we know how badly you guys out there want this film on DVD. Hopefully, if this disc sells well, PFE and Triumph will revisit the title with more extras and an anamorphic transfer in the future. Note that the disc art above is for the original version - we don't know if the new art is identical or not
Good news!

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 07-15-03 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So those who bought the first release were guinea pigs, nothing more than financers for the second release... and those who buy the second release will foot the bill for another, better release later? Third release anamorphic, no extras? Fourth release will add a few extras? Fifth release will cram a ton of extras on with the movie on one side? Sixth release will be remastered, with the movie on one side and the extras on another? Seventh release will be a limited edition three-disc set including John Scott's score on a separate CD?

My god, please, if you don't get it right the first time, AT LEAST GET IT RIGHT THE SECOND TIME!
Old 07-16-03, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by philo
Right. Perhaps I misspoke when I said I used scaling frequently, as I mainly use the zoom function on my Malata to keep overscan to a minimum (just as DonnachaOne stated also); though as I understand it, this is often referred to as a “scaling” feature, hence my use of the word earlier.

I believe, however, that some folks use the X, Y scaling to make a 1.85:1 image fit perfectly to their 16X9 (about 1.78:1) screen by distorting the image slightly.

Hey, where did all of Danol’s posts go?

Last edited by Commander Dan; 07-16-03 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-16-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
PFE can kiss my ass. I will never purchase another product from them as long as I live. I feel personally insulted by that piece of crap disc they released. As far as I am concerned, they stole my money and I will never give them another cent. And then there was their attitute that there was nothing wrong with the transfer and that it looked great to them. Maybe to a blind man it would look great.
Old 07-16-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised Digital Bits is taking the word of PFE as true! This company has lied constantly about the first DVD and to beleive they actually remastered is rediculous! They are such a nothing company they don't have the money to do a remastered even if they wanted to!

I never bought this DVD but I did actualy view it. It is with-a-doubt the biggest piece of garbage ever released on DVD! If I had bought it I would have been absolutely livid!

DO NOT SUPPORT a trash company like PFE by buying ANY of their products. The actions of this company are bad enough to warrant wishes of them going out of business!
Old 07-16-03, 09:30 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Just popped it in tonight....same pathetic non-anamorphic transfer...

On the other hand, "Convoy" is fake-anamorphic...it's squeezed on my 4:3 monitor, but I used the full feature on my widescreen set and it's 2:35 (looks alot better than "Final Countdown"!).

(This isn't an advertisement or anything, but I have both up in a 2-For-1 trade right now...)
Old 07-16-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mao
Just popped it in tonight....same pathetic non-anamorphic transfer...

On the other hand, "Convoy" is fake-anamorphic...it's squeezed on my 4:3 monitor, but I used the full feature on my widescreen set and it's 2:35 (looks alot better than "Final Countdown"!).

(This isn't an advertisement or anything, but I have both up in a 2-For-1 trade right now...)
Do you have the 1st DVD to compare it to?

If it is the same Video transfer (I know it is not anamorphic) PFE better beef up there mail system, I'm sure alot of people will be email their displeasure.
Old 07-17-03, 08:23 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
I do not, but judging from what I've heard about it, it still looks pretty dull and lifeless...
Old 07-17-03, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mao
[B]Just popped it in tonight....same pathetic non-anamorphic transfer...

According to Amazon, the remastered version of the Final Countdown isn't scheduled for release until August 19. Did you somehow get an advance copy for review?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.