Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Seabiscuit:did I do well betting on him/it?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-14-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I think that Seabiscuit not only has the potential to be the surprise breakout hit of the summer both critically and financially, but I also see it having the most staying power. While I don't see it opening huge or anything like that, I do see it sticking around the top five well into September if it gets good word of mouth.
That said, I made a bet with my roommate (not that much) that Seabiscuit would be a hit. He doesn't think it will do well in terms of B.O. gross, just critically. I bet him he would be wrong. Do you think I am wise for betting on Seabiscuit?
Old 07-14-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I do not agree with you.

A movie about a horse not named Secretariat isn't going to do anything.

Seriously though, I had no idea about Seabiscuit's greatness until recently. Although the esquine-loving moviegoers will find this title a treat, everyone else will think its a movie about a cartoon seahorse, or dog treats, or an Imax film.
Old 07-14-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by spankyj
Although the esquine-loving moviegoers will find this title a treat, everyone else will think its a movie about a cartoon seahorse, or dog treats, or an Imax film.
I definitely disagree with this. While I don't think the movie will be a blockbuster, only kids & teenagers have no idea who seabiscuit is. He is one of the most popular, most known, most legendary sport figures in the history of the WORLD. I think most people know who he is & have at least heard of Red Pollard or Charles Howard.

The book is a very good read. But personally, the only reason I'm seeing the movie is for Jeff Bridges, one of my favorite actors.
Old 07-14-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For reference. I'm 27 and had not heard of Seabiscuit until recently. However, my mom used to say "son of a seabiscuit" instead of the b-word... wonder if that's where she got it from.

Also, I've seen the trailers and it looks to be really good -- but I suspect it might be more like October Sky -- a movie that gets a lot more respect after its released on DVD.
Old 07-14-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I will definitely go see Seabiscuit in the theater.
Old 07-14-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
i've never heard of seabiscuit, and have no intention of seeing the movie. Personally, it doesn't matter to me how big of a 'sports figure' Seabiscuit was because i could care less about horse racing. I'd have to agree with your friend... might be good critically, but do poor in the box office.
Old 07-14-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had never heard of Seabiscuit before I saw the trailer. Personally, I think the movie looks great and I will definitely see it over Tomb Raider, which opens the same day I believe.

As for your bet, I would have outlined what constitutes a hit. If it opens at $20 million and goes on to gross $60 million, is that a hit? Over $100 million?

The cast for this movie is simply spectacular.
Old 07-14-03, 02:54 PM
Banned

Airbiscuit. When I heard about this movie all I thought was airbiscuit. Never heard of the horse before. Now I've seen the trailer it's Spiderman on an airbiscuit.

Airbiscuit. Coming to a theatre near you soon.