Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I took the Chance.... bought Fluance

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I took the Chance.... bought Fluance

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took the Chance....

So I did it today.
Instead of going out and buying a well known brand such as Klipsch or Polk, I decided to stay with my cheapstake ways and take a chance. I ordered Fluance. Yeah, I know that it could either turn out as a smart chance or an incredibly stupid one. I decided not to go for the package and ordered the seperate speakers which I hope will sound better. The SV-10's, The Dipole Surrounds, and the better center channel. These will be powered by my Denon 3300. Soon we will put this Fluance question to death and we will know the true answer if whether or not the speakers are too good to be true. When they arrive later this week, I shall write back and let everyone know how well they actually sound.
Old 07-14-03, 01:33 AM

wow.. well, they look nice.. yeah let us now how they sound all hooked up..hope they work out for ya..
Old 07-14-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... Someone actually bought the Flatulence speakers!!!! Bet they deliver great bass rumblings... $^)
Old 07-14-03, 12:14 PM

good luck to you!
Old 07-14-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are they returnable once the outcome is known?
Old 07-14-03, 03:51 PM

I think they are only returnable if they are broken, not if you don't like them. So if they are terrible I may have to "invent" a problem.
Old 07-14-03, 04:15 PM

sounds like a great company...
Old 07-17-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Any word yet?

Shadow
Old 07-17-03, 10:27 PM

Just got them today. Surprisingly they look really nice visually wise. All that I've hooked up are the 3 way fronts and haven't broken them in yet but just listening to them at a soft level with no tuning they sound pretty good. Will get back to you more this weekend once I have a chance to really try them out. They came packaged really well though. So far I'm glad about the investment I made but like I said I will give final results this weekend.
Old 07-17-03, 11:37 PM

just to get an idea, what are you comparing these to? if they are your first set of real speakers, they will sound great regardless of how good they are. what did you previously own, if anything?
Old 07-18-03, 12:26 PM

I just called, out of curiosity. They said -shipping, a full refund is availble if you're not satisfied. That was shipping 2 and from.

When I asked who they considered their competitors to be, the rep replied, "Paradigm, Energy, and Klipsch". The also described themselves as in the "commercial high-end" market, the middle of what Fluance sees as 3 different markets - commercial, comercial high end, commercial very high end.

I'm very anxious to find out what other speakers you've owned and how you think these sound.

-Vince

Klipsch rf-3
Klipsch rc-3
Klipsch rs-3
Klipsch rsw-10
Denon AVR3803
Toshiba SD3805
Toshiba 34HF81
Monster Power MK2500
Bell'o stand
Old 07-18-03, 01:34 PM

I'm comparing them to two different 5.1 sets of Polk's. the RTI 800i's, and the RTI 55i's. While I'm still in the breaking in mode of the speakers so far I'm very pleased. The sound is definately crisp and clear. If I had to match them with something I would compare them with the RTI 800i's. Both give me about the same feeling while sitting in front of them. But like I said, I haven't really pounded them yet. Just kept the volume at like -30 on my Denon to let them break in.

Last edited by redscare24; 07-18-03 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just what exactly are you 'breaking in'? the cone surrounds won't change noticeably in flexibility from the very small displacements, the coil wiring certainly won't change resistivity or inductance, the crossover components are damn stable with audio-range currents...

sorry--gotta go because it's time to change the magnetic mineral aligner on my water pipe inlet....
Old 07-20-03, 12:40 AM

haha....

let em break in. most speakers need a good 50 hours before they sound how they will for the next 10 years. if you cant tell a speaker breaking in, you dont need good speakers, and for this, you are a lucky lucky person.
Old 07-20-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by vincew
I just called, out of curiosity. They said -shipping, a full refund is availble if you're not satisfied. That was shipping 2 and from.

When I asked who they considered their competitors to be, the rep replied, "Paradigm, Energy, and Klipsch". The also described themselves as in the "commercial high-end" market, the middle of what Fluance sees as 3 different markets - commercial, comercial high end, commercial very high end.

I'm very anxious to find out what other speakers you've owned and how you think these sound.

-Vince

Klipsch rf-3
Klipsch rc-3
Klipsch rs-3
Klipsch rsw-10
Denon AVR3803
Toshiba SD3805
Toshiba 34HF81
Monster Power MK2500
Bell'o stand
They have got to be kidding with comparing themselves to quality companies like that

I would never buy a speaker I was not able to demo live before purchasing. The fact that the company sells these online with fake MSRP's listed then a lower price next to that should be concern enough. Combine that with these also being hawked on ebay and I would never touch them for any money.

I am not saying they will not produce sound because they will. I do not think they will compare with any speaker by a real speaker company even Bose.

You might be happy with the speakers and I hope you enjoy them since they will be better than no speakers at all.
Old 07-20-03, 11:02 AM

next post
Old 07-20-03, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by gcribbs

I am not saying they will not produce sound because they will. I do not think they will compare with any speaker by a real speaker company even Bose.

You might be happy with the speakers and I hope you enjoy them since they will be better than no speakers at all.
This coming from a man who hasn't even heard them? I feel that the only people that get upset about these speakers are the once who have spent thousands on their own. I am by no mean an expert audiophile, just a college kid with a hobby and for that, these speakers are definately just as good as your thousand dollar speakers. They definately are beginning to open up, even after only 15 hours or so of playing. I'm going to bi-wire them next week to see if I get any change. Anyway, back to the review. They are definately nice speakers and tests the power of my Denon 3300. So here is the final verdict. For those that don't spend 25k on their home theaters, these speakers are definately a great way to go. But for those of you who feel that the name of a speaker is just as important as the performance you may want to spend more to get the same thing. Anyway, if you do any research on audioreview or online, you will find that I'm not the only person that likes these. I didn't find one bad review, which is much more than I can say for Bose. So if you don't go in expecting the world, you won't be dissapointed. Oh, and the do have secondary retailers that sell them at the MSRP. Thanks.

Waiting on my sub to finish off my system. Then I will really start the pounding.
Old 07-21-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by redscare24
This coming from a man who hasn't even heard them? I feel that the only people that get upset about these speakers are the once who have spent thousands on their own. I am by no mean an expert audiophile, just a college kid with a hobby and for that, these speakers are definately just as good as your thousand dollar speakers. They definately are beginning to open up, even after only 15 hours or so of playing. I'm going to bi-wire them next week to see if I get any change. Anyway, back to the review. They are definately nice speakers and tests the power of my Denon 3300. So here is the final verdict. For those that don't spend 25k on their home theaters, these speakers are definately a great way to go. But for those of you who feel that the name of a speaker is just as important as the performance you may want to spend more to get the same thing. Anyway, if you do any research on audioreview or online, you will find that I'm not the only person that likes these. I didn't find one bad review, which is much more than I can say for Bose. So if you don't go in expecting the world, you won't be dissapointed. Oh, and the do have secondary retailers that sell them at the MSRP. Thanks.

Waiting on my sub to finish off my system. Then I will really start the pounding.
I have not heard of them because they do not sell their products in retail stores where consumers can hear them before buying them.

what secondary retailers sell them for MSRP?

I am not saying a person can not like them. I am saying these are not speakers that can or should be compared to companies like Klipsch, Paradigm or Energy. All of these companies have their speakers sold in stores next to other brands so consumers can compare the sound and decide if they like them.

I do not nor will I trust any company that sells their speakers on ebay and a yahoo store website and consider them equal to companies like Klipsch.

The only review I found in a quick search that was not from a "user" was from cnet

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/4505-6...ecoustics-cnet

which gave a $199 set a 7.1 rating

7.0 to 7.9 (Good):
While the strengths of a product scoring in this range certainly outweigh its weaknesses, it has some faults that certain users should be aware of.

anyway- good luck with the money you spent , and I do hope it works out for you.
Old 07-21-03, 12:55 AM

I'd say that for $199, their worst speaker set to get a 7.1 isn't too shabby. Anyway, I agree with you that maybe they are a little out of their league comparing themselves to Klipsch and Paradigm (especially the upper models of the brands). I'd only go as far as saying they would be somewhat equivalent to some of the lesser models. Anyway, for the price I paid their well worth it.
Old 07-21-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by redscare24
I'd say that for $199, their worst speaker set to get a 7.1 isn't too shabby. Anyway, I agree with you that maybe they are a little out of their league comparing themselves to Klipsch and Paradigm (especially the upper models of the brands). I'd only go as far as saying they would be somewhat equivalent to some of the lesser models. Anyway, for the price I paid their well worth it.

See we all end up agreeing in the end

I understand why they use names like they did. People know those names so it would help sell speakers.

By the way keep everyone up to date on how this works out for you since it will help others who might be thinking of buying these speakers.
Old 07-21-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
I have not heard of them because they do not sell their products in retail stores where consumers can hear them before buying them.

what secondary retailers sell them for MSRP?

I am not saying a person can not like them. I am saying these are not speakers that can or should be compared to companies like Klipsch, Paradigm or Energy. All of these companies have their speakers sold in stores next to other brands so consumers can compare the sound and decide if they like them.

I do not nor will I trust any company that sells their speakers on ebay and a yahoo store website and consider them equal to companies like Klipsch.
What about home theater direct... or the swan divas? As far as I know, you can't buy either one of them from a retail store but they're pretty highly regarded on most home theater sites (by the way, if you do a search at hometheaterforum.com or avsforum.com you'll find some nice reviews of the fluance sets).

I don't have fluance speakers, but I have heard them before and they sound great for the price.
Old 07-21-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Icculus
What about home theater direct... or the swan divas? As far as I know, you can't buy either one of them from a retail store but they're pretty highly regarded on most home theater sites (by the way, if you do a search at hometheaterforum.com or avsforum.com you'll find some nice reviews of the fluance sets).

I don't have fluance speakers, but I have heard them before and they sound great for the price.
I would not buy speakers online without being able to listen to them first.

I have heard individuals say they like fluance speakers ,but i have not read any actual reviews from either sites or magazines except for the one cnet review i posted.

I looked at avs and frankly only saw a couple people who owned them and posted about them. Although i did not spend hours looking thru every thread

If you have links to the reviews feel free to post them since it might help people thinking of buying Fluance Speakers.
Old 07-23-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The real test will be if you need customer service or repair! This is usually when these unknown companies show their true colors and why they sell their products so cheap!

And of course how long will these speakers hold up? There are plenty of stories of speakers that sounded pretty good to begin with but just didn't last very long.

You may be lucky and have bought from a new company who sells good products but didn't have the capital to do advertising or sell into the retail channel (requiring huge inventory to be sold in the BB's and CC's). Remember SVS subs started out the same way (sold only online and a total unknown) but they are highly regarded subs!

Good luck with your new purchase and I hope you get years of enjoyment out of them!
Old 07-27-03, 11:10 AM

Location: Orlando, FL Formerly Gainesville, Fl ..... GO GATORS!!!
There have been a few positive reviews for these from the folks over at www.hometheaterforum.com.
Old 07-27-03, 09:55 PM

Also many positive reviews at www.audioreview.com

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.