Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone else not really like "unfaithful"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched the first hour on cinemax last night, and didn't really like it. Most of it seemed too cliched and the acting wasn't strong. Other then the fact that we see Diane Lane nude several times, the movie kind of sucked, whats the appeal of the movie, (or IS that the appeal) Also, I bet lots of old women cheered in theaters in their minds during the "bathtub scene"
Old 07-13-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was OK. Nothing really special though.
Old 07-13-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The movie was average however I felt Lane's performance was strong and I am not talking about the sex scenes. I really like her alot....loved her in My Dog Skip among others.
Old 07-13-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The film itself wasn't nearly as good as the original by Chabrol. In particular the exposition heavy ending left me cold as Chabrol's was heavier on ambiguity and therefore much more effective. Lane's performance I must commend however as I felt she did a fantastic job with what she had (specifically her train ride home after the first sexual encounter).

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-13-03, 05:23 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate any movie that has me siding with Richard Gere.
Old 07-13-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I willa agree with DRG.. the films were I feel bad or take Richard Gere's side are not for me.

Not to mention that my last relationship before this one ended with the chick cheating on me.. I wasn't to pleased with the whole film in general.
Old 07-13-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I must be the only person who enjoyed the movie. Even though the movie is a bit cliched and they never really explain why why the wife cheated since her marriage didn't seem to have any problem.
Old 07-13-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
wasn't really made for my demographic.
Old 07-13-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adrian Lyne is an oaf. He couldn't direct lemmings over a cliff. We've seen all these cliched shots before. (Foggy interiors in NYC, people slamming into bathroom stalls in restaurants...*yawn* It's not 1987 anymore.)

Diane Lane, as usual, made the most of her material and she's still delicious.
Old 07-13-03, 06:50 PM

An engaging, ultimately sad tale of a woman whose brief affair leads to tragedy.Kind of overlong, but well acted. Gere, Lane, and Olivier Martinez turn in good performances. Grade: B
Old 07-13-03, 06:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and also... the storm scene was so ridiculous I half expected to see cows flying in the distance.
Old 07-13-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was very disappointed w/ this movie. My girlfriend and I watched it, and I agree w/ the two people who said if you side w/ Richard Gere it's not a good thing.

I thought the
Spoiler:
murder scene
was a little lame. If someone had done that to me I wouldn't be using a snow globe...I'd be in there with full guns blazing. Diane Lane was indeed supa-hot, but the "graphic sex scenes" weren't really anything too big.

I think the movie was over-hyped, and all in all very unenjoyable. I would watch it again on cable though simply for Diane Lane...

just my thoughts...
Old 07-14-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I must be the only person who enjoyed the movie. Even though the movie is a bit cliched and they never really explain why why the wife cheated since her marriage didn't seem to have any problem.
I liked this movie a lot, and particularly that there was no "clearcut" explanation of why she embarked on the affair -- just like real life. It may have just been lust, but it's so refreshing to see a female portrayed that way, instead of being the tearful wife with the wandering husband.
Old 07-14-03, 03:18 PM

It wasn't such a good movie... but really, did anyone expect Richard Gere to be in a cinema masterpiece? These being said, it was boring, bristling with cliches and unconvincing (which was perhaps the most unforgivable sin of all three)... Lame. It's these kind of movies that make you use Kazaa, because you don't want to spend your hard-earned money on such bad products.
Old 07-14-03, 03:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I felt it was an engaging film. Believable characters and powerful symbolism. I liked it.
Old 07-14-03, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Honestly I just watched it...errr fast forwarded it for the nudity
Old 07-14-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm holding off on watching this till its on Cinemax On Demand so I can FF till we get some Diane Lane Action.
Old 07-14-03, 05:23 PM

Great movie.

John
Old 07-15-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally posted by reubs82

I thought the
Spoiler:
murder scene
was a little lame. If someone had done that to me I wouldn't be using a snow globe...I'd be in there with full guns blazing.
Funny, I thought that was the only really good part in the movie.
Spoiler:
I don't think Richard Gere went in there with the intention to kill, I think once he was there and he saw the snow globe (all the sentimentality it held for him) that he went temporarily insane.
. Overall, IMO a very well acted and directed scene.
Old 07-15-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought it was bad enough that even Diane Lane nude wasn't enough to get me to buy it.
Old 07-15-03, 01:14 AM

Didn't really like it.
Old 07-15-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MJKTool
Honestly I just watched it...errr fast forwarded it for the nudity

" I liked The Piano! Holly Hunter was naked for most of it![/B]

- "She was nude for ONE scene!"

"Not the way I watched it!"

(That's a Coupling paraphrase, for those wondering)
Old 07-15-03, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by rkndkn
I liked this movie a lot, and particularly that there was no "clearcut" explanation of why she embarked on the affair -- just like real life. It may have just been lust, but it's so refreshing to see a female portrayed that way, instead of being the tearful wife with the wandering husband.
Absolutely. That is one of the reasons I love this movie as much .. there is no heavy-handed moralising. There's no real justification for her actions. The director did well in not explaining it.

The ending made a great impression on me as well ...
Spoiler:
.. I loved the ambiguity of it.
Old 07-15-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, nothing like a movie without an ending. Yeah, I love those films where you say... wait a minute. Did the film just end? Yes, I think it did. Look, there's credits! Wow...

Unforgiven was such a crappy movie. What got me mad was that this woman had it all -- a great kid, a loving husband, lots of money... what is she doing schlupping with some jerk French guy? I think Lynn was trying to make a paralell to Fatal Attraction, but it just didn't click for me.

What is that old saying? Women cheat because they are unhappy at home... men cheat because they can.
Old 07-15-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ncmojo

Unforgiven was such a crappy movie. What got me mad was that this woman had it all -- a great kid, a loving husband, lots of money... what is she doing schlupping with some jerk French guy? I think Lynn was trying to make a paralell to Fatal Attraction, but it just didn't click for me.
You sure you're talking about the same movie there?
I thought Unforgiven was a Clint Eastwood-directed Western?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.