TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Babylon 5?

Old 07-11-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Babylon 5?

alright, some I'm pretty much just getting started with watching Buffy from the beginning, and see the occasional post on here about the merits of Babylon 5. It appears that SciFi channel is airing these in order, and are about half-way thru the run right now.

Is this a series that is typically run in order on SciFi, so that I'll be able to catch it from the beginning sometime pretty soon?

Is it (generally) a pre-requisite to enjoy SciFi/fantasy movies/shows to enjoy B5? I enjoy Star Wars, "V", LOTR, but have never gotten into Star Trek or any of the variations thereof.

It comes highly recommended from das, which is usually testament enough, but what's the general thought out there on this one?
Old 07-11-03, 12:07 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
I'm a recent convert to B5, and my viewing is restricted to the release of the DVD box sets (I don't have cable - don't ask).

After watching the pilot and the first two seasons I'm completely hooked. This is storytelling at its best. I don't believe that any preexisting interest in sci-fi shows is necessary, but I've always been a Star Trek and sci-fi fan.
Old 07-11-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's the only show that I taped and archived when TNT ran the shows in order 4 years ago. I still have the tapes, even though I now own the first 2 seasons on DVD.

Old 07-11-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thoughts on this are known, so I won't dwell on them here; but I will note that I don't think it is a pre-requisite that you're overly familiar with SciFi/Fantasy type stuff. Of course, it is a pre-requisite that you're not predisposed to automatically dislike them. So, people who profess to "hate sci-fi" might find a way to dislike it; but if you just haven't really "gotten into" many science fiction shows, then you should be OK. My feeling on this is that good storytelling knows no genre, whether it's in a lawyer's office, a hospital, a police precinct, or on a space station with aliens. If you enjoy quality storytelling, you'll likely enjoy Babylon 5. Based on your list of things you enjoy, I will also mention that Babylon 5 finds a lot of inspiration in The Lord of the Rings, mainly in its epic style of storytelling. Fans of one will find common threads of quality in the other.

The Sci Fi (sic) Channel has aired the series in order many many times, so I'd be careful about expecting them to do it yet again. However, each time I think it's the last, they do it one more time, so you never know.

das
Old 07-11-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
The Sci Fi (sic) Channel has aired the series in order many many times, so I'd be careful about expecting them to do it yet again. However, each time I think it's the last, they do it one more time, so you never know.

das
At the same time, it's almost worth the risk to wait. My wife tells me that they're just beginning season 4. While you would certainly enjoy the show at this point, it would certainly take away much of the joy of watching from the beginning of season 1.
Old 07-11-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth MEJHarrison •<HR SIZE=1>At the same time, it's almost worth the risk to wait. My wife tells me that they're just beginning season 4. While you would certainly enjoy the show at this point, it would certainly take away much of the joy of watching from the beginning of season 1. <HR SIZE=1>

Oh, God ... I'd never suggest starting in the middle. That's crazy talk!!! Just warning that depending on Sci-Fi to run them all again may not be the best idea if another option to acquire the episodes becomes available. With only 2 seasons on DVD so far, I guess there's not much choice, though.

das
Old 07-11-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today was the third episode of Season 4 on Sci-Fi. According to their website schedule, you'll have to wait until early to mid September before it starts over (assuming it does start over again).

But, yes, it's highly recommended. Easily in my top three favorite shows of all time.
Old 07-11-03, 04:51 PM

I've seen the pilot and first two seasons on DVD, and I'm loving it (one month until season three!).

I will say that getting through the first season was really, really hard for me. If it wasn't for the endless effusive praise this series gets everywhere, I probably would have quit midway through the season. While there's a lot of vital information given out there, most of the season just seemed really bland. It wasn't bad, just a lot of mediocre episodes that didn't seem to have much signifigance at the time. There are a couple of bright spots in the early part of the seasons and towards the end when the series' overall arc kicks in, and things get good. The season's final episode is excellent, and once season 2 rolled around I was hooked.

So, I'd say it's definitely well worth watching, but there're a slew of potentially discouraging episodes right up front. Get through those, and you're set.
Old 07-11-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly, Jlbkwrm. All I can ever say with B5 is -- stick with it. That first season has quite a few awkward moments and quite a few points where you feel the show is going *nowhere*.

But stick with it.

Once you get into season 2, things really start rolling. By the end of the season, you're completely hooked. And after you finish season 5, you'll be tempted to start all over again from the beginning.

And then you'll find that season 1 was A LOT better than you remembered.
Old 07-11-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The reason season 1 is bland is that these aren't tv episodes in the traditional sense.

This is one 120 hour story. And the first 20 hours is buildup to the "good stuff" - sort of like the beginning of a book.

But we normally expect each tv episode to stand on its own.
Old 07-11-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, since Bando didn't think of it (maybe because he's still a n00b), let me be the first to say:

Heh heh heh

Old 07-11-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wizdar
Well, since Bando didn't think of it (maybe because he's still a n00b), let me be the first to say:

Heh heh heh

Old 07-11-03, 06:37 PM
Enormous Genitals

[Bando shakes fist at Wizdar and Chew]

I won't get to say "heh-heh-heh" for another year or so, when all of the seasons have been released.

Then I'll "heh-heh-heh" with the best of you!
Old 07-11-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pity Bandoman when he finishes year 3 sometime in august, and year 4 isn't available...
Old 07-11-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh....

heh heh heh
Old 07-11-03, 06:42 PM
Enormous Genitals

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!
Old 07-11-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pity US if he ever finds something he can "heh heh heh" about.

Boy would we be in BIG trouble then!
Old 07-11-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
I pity Bandoman when he finishes year 3 sometime in august, and year 4 isn't available...
Yeah, that season three finale/cliffhanger is a real toad strangler, ain't it?
Old 07-11-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, that season three finale/cliffhanger is a real toad strangler, ain't it?
Yeah, it makes me want to go cuckoo... especially when it stops between tick and tock.
Old 07-12-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And, because I'm a creep, presented are the closing lines to the third season of Babylon 5. It still gives me chills to this day.

Spoiler:
"It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath. Waiting... All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both..."

"G'Quon wrote, 'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

(Nothing TOO specific in there. And it's fairly obvious who is speaking it.)
Old 07-19-03, 08:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've just pre-ordered the 3rd season for $54 at dvdsoon.com. Can't wait. I want to see the Centuri get their butts kicked.
Old 07-19-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't realize B5 is on scifi. I use to watch B5 all the time. Now I can go back to see all those great episodes again.
Old 07-20-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Babylon Five kicks Star Trek's ass (all of them), and may have saved Star Trek: Deep Space Nine from going down the drain.

Here is some audio files to tease you:
* TNT Promo for the series (excellent)
* Season 5 Opening Theme - Contains audio clips from the first four series, and gives you a general idea of what to expect. Minor spoilers.
Old 07-20-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I WOULD SUGGEST ANYONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN THROUGH SEASON FOUR NOT LISTEN TO THE SEASON FIVE OPENING THEME.

It does contain some spoilers -- it doesn't come right out and say everything, but it wouldn't be very difficult for someone to extrapolate the outcome of certain key plot points.

There are some bits of dialogue, while vague
Spoiler:
Giants in the playground... Not get the hell out of our galaxy!
that definitely could give the outcome of a major event.

Also, when you hear Sheridan say
Spoiler:
We have to come to place President Clark under arrest
it doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
Old 07-20-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't know why people even suggest that. Just watch the DVDs, and don't listen to people who try to tell you how cool this scene is or check out this great whatever. Just watch. If you can't figure out how kickass it is on your own, you're beyond help anyway.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.