Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

my receiver is messed up!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-10-03, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my sony receiver is completely messed up. all of a sudden the sound comes out garbled from every component plugged into it. it hppened yesterday and i turned it off all night and this morning it was fixed. however, 5mins ago it began again. what's happened? how do i fix it?
Old 07-11-03, 01:14 PM

anyone?
Old 07-11-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a Sony. Can't help you now. Should've bought a good receiver to begin with.... Sorry about the problem. Live 'n' learn....
Old 07-11-03, 01:41 PM

. that's the answer i feared. i got it as a gift in a HTIB. o well
Old 07-11-03, 01:42 PM

any recs on good receivers for the money to replace this POS?
Old 07-11-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't suppose it's still under waranty, is it?
Old 07-11-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have a sony 900es... decent receiver. I think the problem is sonys amps are a little underpowered. I worked mine pretty hard (acoustic research AR303 mains) and eventually the sonys amp would auto-shut down after 15 mins of use. no problems tho, I just use Marantz monoblock amps now and use my 900es for processing and switching duties which it does very well.

j
Old 07-12-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
have you tried unplugging it for a night then seeing if it works?

also maybe it is overheating so make sure you do not have anything sitting on top of it and make sure it has ventilation.
Old 07-12-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

garbled sound is a worse problem than overheating/shutting down. j, that's a prety expensive pre-amp, eh? I'm sure you could get a better dedicated one for less. Gotta love that Sony stuff.... (OK, their tv's are OK, but I'd *never* buy their a/v components!)
Old 07-12-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

>garbled sound is a worse problem than overheating/shutting
> down. j, that's a prety expensive pre-amp, eh? I'm sure you
> could get a better dedicated one for less.

probably, but since I already had the thing I didnt see the point in going and and buying something else. I like the 900es because it has LOTS of inputs (i have between 12-15 game consoles on my a/v system at once, plus dvd, ld, vcr, video cam etc), it uses 5-way banana-plug capable speaker outputs, has a decent remote, and its power swap feature lets me use my monoblocks up front while the receivers main amps run the rear surrounds in back. <shrug> would it have been good if the sony amps could push the 303s? sure, but it was always underpowered for that speaker (which pretty much needs 150w minimum) and everything else still works really well. Once I have more $ I will definitely go full seperates... i dont even get 5.1 right now cause the 900es is from the pre-DD era. lol!

> Gotta love that Sony stuff.... (OK, their tv's are OK, but I'd
> *never* buy their a/v components!)

yeah, my dad has a sony big screen hdtv... very nice... i want one now. lol!! I would buy sony stuff again in the future, just not anything with an amp in it. I always like the sound i got out of my 900es... weird audiophile geeks may say this or that about it but the fact is i LOVE the way my games, movies and music sound out of the thing... and really, thats the bottom line.

j
Old 07-13-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
It's a Sony. Can't help you now. Should've bought a good receiver to begin with.... Sorry about the problem. Live 'n' learn....
What a totally uninformed statement! You obviously don't have a clue as to the full Sony receiver line. Yes, the HTIB and DE lines of receivers are low quality (look at their costs) but to make this blanket statement which would include the high end ES line just shows why blankets statements usually make the person saying it look bad!
Old 07-13-03, 04:34 PM

i called a couple places and they said i might've just blown some cheap component and they could maybe fix it. i wanted this to be an excuse to get a nicer receiver . i am a bit suspicious it might be overheating as the space above it became occupied by a digital cable box just this week (before it was empty).