Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who returns for 40th anniversary! (sort of)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-03, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Doctor Who is indeed returning for the show's 40th anniversary, in a special new six-part audio webcast on BBCi. Following in the footsteps of the earlier animated webcasts "Death Comes to Time," "Real Time" and "Shada," the fourth webcast (still untitled) is written by Paul Cornell ("The Shadows of Avalon") and will star none other than popular British actor Richard E. Grant (who also played one of the future Doctors in the charity special "The Curse of Fatal Death"). Grant describes his interpretation as "something of a 'Sherlock Holmes in Space.'"

Cornell, posting on the Outpost Gallifrey forum, had this to say about the project: "This is the start of everything again, not the end. Don't be scared. The Ninth Doctor is Richard E. Grant, fully animated... fully animated, not Shada animated... Batmanlike rather than Shadalike. With a new companion, a new military liaison, new monsters, and a vastly starry cast!" Cornell says that "if the response is good enough, then there'll be more. (And listen: you *never know* where this could end up.)" Cornell goes on to confirm that this is indeed the official, BBC made and sanctioned Ninth Doctor, approved by all the requisite parts of the BBC that needed input on this. "Traditional but original is what we're going for," says Cornell. "Very Hinchcliffe/Dicks, but with no previously used elements and only a tiny smidge of continuity. This story starts after the Ninth Doctor's been in the job for several years. And quite a lot has happened to him. So there's room for all continuities to resolve themselves. And BBC Books has made a positive response, and are talking about stuff."

Apparently the story will completely disregard "Curse of Fatal Death" (this Ninth Doctor isn't Grant's Doctor in that charity satire.) Cornell says he is "honoured to have the chance to set the Doctor off on another forty years of adventures," said Paul. "Just wait until you hear Richard! He is the Doctor!" The story is set to debut in mid-November, in time to celebrate the show's 40th anniversary.

The official site informs us that the title of the forthcoming animated webcast is The Scream of the Shalka by Paul Cornell, and states that the story is five episodes (other sources say six). The article also mentions, curiously, that Derek Jacobi is in it (in addition to his appearance in Big Finish's Doctor Who - Unbound series, previously reported) as well as actress Sophie Okonedo (whose repetoire includes various film roles -- the Grant site mistakenly identifies her as Sophie Okinodod), Craig Kelly (Vince in the UK version of "Queer as Folk") and Diana Quick ("Brideshead Revisited"). The website also states that this animated project will eventually be released on DVD. None of this information has been confirmed yet by BBCi but has seen pretty wide discussion elsewhere.

Meanwhile, Cornell has made further comments on Outpost Gallifrey's forum with some additional information on the webcast. "I'm going to hang onto doing Ninth Doctor stuff as long as they'll let me, and as long as there's stuff to be done," he says. "There's no regeneration sequence. We start a long time after that. Yes, there's a new companion. People have somehow seen this as doing down McGann, but I don't feel that it is at all. I love the Eighth Doctor. This is just a new start. This will be accessible to new viewers, but will hopefully please the old ones at the same time. There's nothing to get in the way for new viewers." He adds that the animation "is more like [BBCi's] Ghosts of Albion" and the script "is written to be watched rather than heard. One of the joys of this is being able to write lines like: 'hundreds of monsters surround the Tardis'. It also makes storytelling faster. ... And yes, it was written especially for Richard."
REG's IMDB Entry

Two key notes from this:
01) This is probably the biggest and best hope that the show has to get back on the air. Paul Cornell had this to say:

I think the thing to bear in mind, and what all my friends in TV production have immediately said when they heard the news, is that *this is the best chance to bring it back to live TV*. People are now talking about Who in offices again. The profile has risen. And it will again in November.
02) DVD release! Cool!

Sub-Note 03) The Animation is being done by Cosgrove/Hall - the same guys that did Dangermouse. How cool is that?

Now, if you'll excuse me - I'm off to do the happy dance.
Old 07-10-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Bring back Tom Baker, the definitive Doctor Who!
Old 07-10-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doctor Who? Yay! Now I don't need these sleeping pills anymore!
Old 07-10-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ninth Doctor now huh? Geez, Eight sure didn't last long... which you know, actually pisses me off. I hate short runs... makes the show seem cheap. Since it says this Doctor 9 has been around a bit in this story, they can make a few more with 8 and have a proper switch over. I know a lot of people don't like 8's movie... but I think it belongs, and can't be written off like Cushing's movie can be.

Isn't there a limit on regenerations? like 13 or something? Of course, Doctor Who has screwed it's continuity almost as much as Star Trek in some cases, so whatever.

In the end though, as long as the writing is good, then I will be right there. Doctor Who has tons of faults in other areas, and as fans we get by them because of the strong writing, so they can't mess up that.

Last edited by BizRodian; 07-10-03 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-11-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I checked out BBCi and they said something to the effect of: "now is the perfect time to bring back the Doctor's audio adventures" and then made it sound like BBC7 would play them. But, I couldn't find links to the shows or a schedule that showed them.

Anyone have any luck finding when/where the previous audio adventures are playing?
Old 07-11-03, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Mopower
So, tell me. . . do you threadcrap often? Or is this a special occasion?

Originally posted by BizRodian
Ninth Doctor now huh? Geez, Eight sure didn't last long... which you know, actually pisses me off. I hate short runs... makes the show seem cheap. Since it says this Doctor 9 has been around a bit in this story, they can make a few more with 8 and have a proper switch over. I know a lot of people don't like 8's movie... but I think it belongs, and can't be written off like Cushing's movie can be.
Well, depends of you count the Big Finish audio productions and the BBC books. If that's the case, then Paul's been the ongoing Doctor for 7 or so years now.

Yeah, it would be keen to see him in a TV version again, but I'll take what I can get. If that happens to be a new Doctor, so be it.

Isn't there a limit on regenerations? like 13 or something? Of course, Doctor Who has screwed it's continuity almost as much as Star Trek in some cases, so whatever.
If they can keep the Master going after his last regeneration, then I'm sure they can come up with something for the Doctor. In a big universe like that, there's got to be some sort of technobabble solution somewhere.

Originally posted by Chew
Anyone have any luck finding when/where the previous audio adventures are playing?
As far as I know, only Death Comes To Time is available of the BBCi productions, out on CD. Presumably Shada would be out eventually, but no word that I've heard.
Old 07-11-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
So, tell me. . . do you threadcrap often? Or is this a special occasion?
NO not often but this was a special occasion.
Old 07-22-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, depends of you count the Big Finish audio productions and the BBC books. If that's the case, then Paul's been the ongoing Doctor for 7 or so years now.
Well, nah, I don't

Yeah, it would be keen to see him in a TV version again, but I'll take what I can get. If that happens to be a new Doctor, so be it.
Yup... I'm looking forward to it... though damn, you know, as many problems with the tv movie as there were... when it ended, I so much wanted more just like it. For shame. I knew the chances of ever seeing him again were low, but knowing there will be a new one now just kind of seals it. That there was a one shot doctor... and that just doesn't sit well with me for whatever reason.

If they can keep the Master going after his last regeneration, then I'm sure they can come up with something for the Doctor. In a big universe like that, there's got to be some sort of technobabble solution somewhere.
A great point of course.. not like continuity ever matters a ton in a show that ran for like, 26 seasons though
Old 07-23-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you ever do find them, let me know. I thought Shada wasn't bad, though it did have some fan ficcy moments that didn't seem to jive right... and again, of course, it IS just a flash animation... which is just a glorified radio play... still the original script does shine through, and it felt like I was watching a "real" Doctor Who story.

I'd be interested in watching Death Comes to Time... but that's not around anymore...
Old 07-24-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Norm de Plume
You know he is like 70! And he doesn't wanna come back... remember The 5 Doctors, when it was actually 4 cause he was just stuck in a time loop (from a previous Baker episode) the whole episode? He wanted to get out, he could have carried on many more years for sure... but the typcast thing got to him...

...I liked the Peter Davidson version of the Doctor.

The Movie with Mcgann was not terrible, it could have been better but it could have been worse. Wish it would have been picked up for at least a season of Dr. #8.

It will be interesting to see how the Animated Dr. Who does, I know I will get the DVD!
Old 07-24-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the movie is very very "Fox" it feels like a Fox TV movie from the mid 90s. This is a bit of a silly complaint to me though, since the TV show feels like a BBC show from the 60s, 70s and 80s Half of the show is about regeneration... which is why I don't care about how each era of Who has a different feel.

That said, there was a LOT of stupid things about that TV movie that should never have even gotten close to being on air. A mean, for god's sake, a LOVE INTEREST? it just seemed wrong. Alsom having the Doctor just get shot just seemed terrible for some reason. Yes, the Dcotor gets into trouble a lot, but the way it happened just seemed totally senseless and (again) wrong.

The Master was never one of my favorite villians either... but I think that overall, it's a good movie. I liked the stuff with McCoy the best.

I've only seen it once though, and that was when it was first broadcast... so I'm sure I'd think differently now.
Old 07-25-03, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Doctor Who so much, but something seems wrong and cheap bringing in a new Doctor in an animated internet radio play. They could have just as easly done an animated story with Paul McGann (The 8th Doctor) or any of the past Doctors. I think any new Doctor Who should be introduced in a proper TV episode.

no, that would be Patrick Troughton! but still point taken... if it's going to be an animated thing, why not Tom??

odd coming from someone with King of the Hill on your DVD collection.
Old 07-25-03, 09:32 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by BizRodian
Alsom having the Doctor just get shot just seemed terrible for some reason. Yes, the Dcotor gets into trouble a lot, but the way it happened just seemed totally senseless and (again) wrong.
You know, I thought this bit was brilliant. Here's the 7th Doctor, always planning, always 3 steps ahead of everyone, always playing the puppet master pulling the strings of the companions, of the bad guys, of everyone - and he get shot and 'killed' in a random drive-by shooting.

Totaly irony. I love it.
Old 07-25-03, 06:34 PM

Withnail and I meet Doctor Who....I am impressed. And yes I did like the 8th doctor as well.
Old 07-25-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, I thought this bit was brilliant. Here's the 7th Doctor, always planning, always 3 steps ahead of everyone, always playing the puppet master pulling the strings of the companions, of the bad guys, of everyone - and he get shot and 'killed' in a random drive-by shooting.

Totaly irony. I love it.
I can totally see what you mean. In one way it's so great because the fact he's the seventh Doctor, and he just perchance gets randomly shot. It's kind of like saying that this is a different place, and different time. Things like this happen here and it's not unusual. But at the same time the doctor just got senslessly shot!
Old 07-27-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I just dont consider an audio play a decent return or any big news. Doctor Who is a television show first and foremost, the books and audio plays dont do anything for me. I dont mind the new Doc business either. Grant is a good choice, but I'd much rather see a new series of shows or tv movies.

I guess fans get excited over any little tidbit, especially considering how horribly the WHo franchise has been handled over the years- everything from being in the hands of producers who hated it in the 80's, to scaled back budgets, to the Fox debacle. I just wont be excited until they announce some kind of tv revivial of some sort.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 07-27-03 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I do agree, those audio plays and flash stuff aren't all that exciting, a full on animated show is pretty cool...
Old 09-01-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bringing this back up because is it just me, or does the new Doctor look a lot like Jon (as in Kelly and Jon) of the Amazing Race?

http://web.realitytvworld.com/theama...elly_jon.shtml

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho.../09/5660.shtml