Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are You Getting Annoyed With Directors Quitting Two Movies into a Trilogy?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Burton was out after 2 Batman movies. James Cameron quit after two Terminators. Sam Raimi (Spider-man director) has said in an interview he doesn't want to be involed in the third one.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember them all now. But my point is, are you all tired of directors only going 2/3 of the way with movie trilogy's? I totally understand that directors are people too, and they have a right to get bored or just want to do other projects...but this seems to just be a trend.

Many people liked T3...but I just thought it was decent. Part of the problem for me was obviously the lack of Cameron's style.

For Batman, the same exact thing regarding Burton.

Others thoughts?
Old 07-10-03, 11:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
These aren't really "trilogies" you're talking about, in the sense of planned series like LOTR, SW, or Matrix. They are franchise series, where it is normal for a director only to do a film or two before moving on.
Old 07-10-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
These aren't really "trilogies" you're talking about, in the sense of planned series like LOTR, SW, or Matrix. They are franchise series, where it is normal for a director only to do a film or two before moving on.
I agree, none of the series listed started out as trilogies.

If Peter Jackson quit after Two Towers then I would agree.
Old 07-10-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
There's a big difference between a "trilogy" planned out in advance like Star Wars or LOTR as opposed to something where the movie studios just want to have a cash cow -- there was no storytelling "reason" to have a "Batman Forever" really. Directors shouldn't be obligated to follow a storyline eternally. That said, I'm hoping Bryan Singer comes back for an X3, because I really feel his input and vision has made the series what it is. Too early to make a call on the Spidey series after only one movie though.
Old 07-10-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
At least it seems that Sam is going to go out with a bang as far as his Spidey sequel in concerned. from what I've seen and read he's using little to no CG for the swinging Spidey scenes and actually rigged a camera through the whole city rather than having New York digitally rendered again. I'm sure there will be some CG used when absolutely necessary but I'm glad he seems to be making this film more like how he madeDarkman and the Evil Dead trilogy. I find he works best when he has less since it forces him to get very creative. Hopefully his twisted sense of humour will be more present this time around.
Old 07-10-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
At least it seems that Sam is going to go out with a bang as far as his Spidey sequel in concerned. from what I've seen and read he's using little to no CG for the swinging Spidey scenes and actually rigged a camera through the whole city rather than having New York digitally rendered again. I'm sure there will be some CG used when absolutely necessary but I'm glad he seems to be making this film more like how he madeDarkman and the Evil Dead trilogy. I find he works best when he has less since it forces him to get very creative. Hopefully his twisted sense of humour will be more present this time around.
So why the need for a $200M budget?

And I guess you could count someone like Chris Columbus who bowed out of making HPATPOA.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-10-03 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-10-03, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah! And let's not get me started on people who leave a trilogy after just one film like Frank Oz did on the "What about Bob" trilogy. Man I'm furious about this.
Old 07-10-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's definitely a difference between franchise and trilogy. Batman, Rocky, Rambo, Spiderman, Bond, XxX, Alien, Terminator, these are franchises.

As stated above, trilogies are usually planned and completed as such.

stoolie
Old 07-10-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Burton was smart to leave Batman when he did.

As for these films.. they weren't planned as trilo.. blah blah blah.

T2 was never planned as a film with even a sequel. folks must have been surprised to see that a third was going to be made.
Old 07-10-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
T2 was never planned as a film with even a sequel. folks must have been surprised to see that a third was going to be made.
I certainly was...

Spoiler:
They stopped Judgment Day in T2!!!!!! How can Terminators even exist?!?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

...nevertheless, I kinda liked T3

I agree, stuff like Batman, Alien, etc. are franchises that directors may put a stamp on, but not be married to.
Old 07-10-03, 02:37 PM

I pretty much agree with most of the stuff said, don't really feel like being redundant, I hope the terminator series becomes a quadrilogy, I loved T3
Old 07-10-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked T3 also but in a diffrent way then the first 2,this is the first trilogy ive seen where all 3 movies where diffrent from each other,T1 had that slasher feel to it while T2 was more story and drawn out(in a good way)and T3 was pure action with cheesy one liners,loved all 3.
Old 07-10-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Burton was smart to leave Batman when he did.

Burton didn't so much as leave the Batman franchise, but he just handed over the reigns, so to speak. He remained on as the producer of that film, but really did bow out before being infected w/ Batman and Robin (at least according to IMDB).
Old 07-10-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't Columbus fired/let go from the HP series?
Old 07-10-03, 11:00 PM

I agree with the majority that Batman, Terminator, and others are not trilogy's but just franchises. Matrix, Star Wars, LOTR, BTTF, Indy, etc are trilogies. If you look at all the trilogy films listed, sans Star Wars, the Directors stayed for all three.

Burton didn't leave Batman but handed over the reigns after WB forced him out. The studio wasn't really thrilled with the tone of Batman Returns and wanted a new Director and Batman to create a different tone.

Cameron sold the rights to the Terminator movies so he didn't quit the series either. I read somewhere that he was asked to direct T3 but declined because he didn't own the rights...among other reasons.

Columbus did choose not to direct HP 3, and I think HP 4, but he is still considering doing HP5. Honestly, I think him handing the reigns over to somebody else for 3 and 4 is a good move because I shudder to think what he would do with 3 and 4 as the books are totally different that the first two and don't really fit his MO.
Old 07-11-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by DVDGUY1116
Cameron sold the rights to the Terminator movies so he didn't quit the series either. I read somewhere that he was asked to direct T3 but declined because he didn't own the rights...among other reasons..
There's a nice article about the whole Cameron T3 mess in EW. Talk about drama! I agree with everyone else that we have to separate trilogies from franchises. Sometimes the interjection of new blood is good (Star Wars) where trilogies are concerned but for the most part, it's best to go with what works. With franchises, I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference. If Burton had stayed with batman would it have mattered really since the studio wanted a different tone? Once that decision was made the franchise was doomed IMO. I'll reserve judgment on HP until I see what the new director does.
Old 07-11-03, 08:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Quake1028
Wasn't Columbus fired/let go from the HP series?
Uh, no. In fact he's still a producer for the third film.
Old 07-11-03, 09:27 AM

Why should a director feel obligated to continue with a movie series. As others said, the films you mentioned are not trilogies but simply a series. if the series continues past three should the director be forced to make sequels forever?

Like others said, Burton didn't quit himself, the studio went with someone else because Batman Returns didn't bring in a lot of merchandise. They wanted a more kid-friendly tone in order to sell more toys, etc... It would have been funny if Burton stayed though, we could have had Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face!
Old 07-11-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Don't forget C.C. abandoning the great Home Alone franchise as well.
Old 07-11-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
George Lucas quit directing after the first film in his trilogy. Of course, that was a good thing.
Old 07-11-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just pray that Harvey Weinstein (Miramax) doesn't cut
KILL BILL into two parts.

He recently screened the film, which could be over 3 hours long.

The article said that Uma will be on screen Oct. 10 no matter what.

Tarantino should finally leave Miramax if cut his movie hin half.