Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What was the first color film ever?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 01:58 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick question - which was the first film to be in shot in color? Now I'm not talking tinting like Metropolis or some of the movies in the 20's did - but full on color.
Old 07-09-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could be wrong (and probably am), but I thought I heard that the Wizard of Oz was first.
Old 07-09-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
As far as I can tell, it was this:

Toll of the Sea (1922)

Runtime: USA:53 min (1985 alternate version) / USA:54 min (Feature Film @19 fps)
Color: Color (2-strip Technicolor) (Process Number Two)
Sound Mix: Silent
Certification: USA:Unrated

It's not exactly "full" color (I guess used red and green), but as far as I can tell, it was actually filmed that way, rather than tinted, so seems like it should count (I think that there may be others made around the same time that are now lost).

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-09-03 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-09-03, 02:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Disney's "Snow White" came out two years before "Wizard of Oz"

here's a weblink to the history of Technicolor:

Technicolor

"Toll of the Sea" is in fact mentioned as the first 2-strip Technicolor feature length film.

Last edited by Giles; 07-09-03 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-09-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Here's a bunch more info on the history of color in movies, along with the page where I found it.
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/H...96/oz-lore.htm

Was The Wizard of Oz the first movie made in color?:

This is another question that visitors to my site ask me quite often. The short answer to this is "No!". I recently came across a terrific source and explanation about this in a book called The Hollywood Archive : The Hidden History of Hollywood in the Golden Age by Paddy Calistro; published by New York, Universe Publishing, 2000. On pages 54-56 in this book there's a section called "Bringing Color to the Movies". This is what the author had to say:

"Color on the motion picture screen? Never!" scoffed filmmakers in the first decade of the twentieth century. Performers, too, laughed at the idea, and for good reason. Why risk their careers on a gimmick that could jeopardize the success of their films?

Movies in color had long been the dream of international film pioneers: Louis Jacques Daguerre, James Clerk Maxwell, H.W. Vogel, Emile Reynaud, Georges Melies, and the brothers Lumiere. But their efforts had been costly and time consuming since each frame had to be individually hand-tinted. Even Thomas Edison, who produced a color film of a stage success, Annabell's Butterfly Dance, hand-tinted the entire thirty-five-foot length, frame by frame.

In 1915 a new enterprise named Technicolor made color movies a possibility on a commercial basis. But the going wasn't easy at first, even for Technicolor, headed by Dr. Herbert T. Kalmus, a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (the name Technicolor was in honor of his alma mater) and a former chemistry and physics professor. Instead of forging ahead in giant leaps, Dr. Kalmus and his partners--two fellow M.I.T. graduates, Daniel Comstock and Burton Westcott--moved in smaller steps to maintain quality control, conserve time and money, develop a natural-looking color process, and ultimately to project the image with standardized equipment.

Using the same two-color components--red and green--devised in 1910 by Kinemacolor, Kalmus's team produced a ten-minute one-reel film. A refurbished railroad car, Technicolor's first laboratory, made its way from Boston to Jacksonville, Florida, where the filming of The Gulf Between (1918) took place.

Between 1917 and 1926, Technicolor released its first two-color feature film, The Toll of the Sea. The first film with artificially lit interiors, Cytherea (1924), came out, along with several star vehicles, including Stage Struck (1925), with Gloria Swanson, and Douglas Fairbank's The Black Pirate (1926).

The first surge of real enthusiasm for Technicolor came between 1928 and 1930, as more and more producers rushed to add color to the new sound movies. The result was a series of subpar productions with garishly tinted pictures--still in the two-color process--that did Technicolor more harm than good. Dr. Kalmus, who had opened a facility in Hollywood, decided to embark on one last push to overcome Technicolor's basic shortcoming, the lack of a three-color-or full-color-image. In 1932, Techicolor introduced a new camera that finally could successfully record all three colors: red, green, and blue.

Producers were still skeptical. However, Walt Disney, who had never used the two-color process in his cartoons, was so impressed with the new full-color image that in 1932 he released Flowers and Trees, the first full-color Technicolor film. The following year came Disney's animated Three Little Pigs. In 1934, the first live-action short in three-color was released, La Cucaracha.

The door opened slowly, but studios gradually began adding Technicolor sequences to their releases. By the end of the 1930's, Technicolor had become a star in its own right. And by 1939, Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz proved that there was no limit to the impact of color on the big screen."
Old 07-09-03, 02:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not the first, but Ben-Hur (1925) used an effective mix of b&w and 2-strip technicolor, as did Phantom of the Opera that same year.

Last edited by Groucho; 07-09-03 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-09-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you talking about color using the painting technique, or the first movie shot using color film? Long before movies were ever shot using color film some movies implemented color into scenes by actually painting the exposed film.
Old 07-09-03, 02:46 PM
Suspended

I'm talking all color from open to close, and actually shot on color film. The two strip process used either in Toll of the Sea or The Vikings is in line with what I was thinking of.
Old 07-10-03, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
I'm talking all color from open to close,
THen that would have disqualified Wizard of Oz from the start. Wouldn' it?
Old 07-10-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
A Star Is Born (1937)
Old 07-10-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Becky Sharp (1935), was the first feature film shot in full color.
Old 07-10-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walt Disney (The man) was amazing back then, he was always on the cutting edge of the tech for film.

He is like what Pixar is today.
Old 07-10-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I think people think of Wizard of Oz first because of the dramatic way the black and white scenes burst into color when Dorothy gets to Oz. It "feels" like the birth of color movies even though technically it wasn't.
Old 07-10-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BECKY SHARP(1935) was the first feature shot in the improved three color Technicolor, but there were other full color features films well before that, going back to the silent era. Of course there were experiments since the dawn of cinema.

THE BLACK PIRATE was feature length two color technicolor circa 1926, several early sound musicals were in color or had color sequences such as THE KING OF JAZZ, and 1932 brought two early color horror films, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (remade in color 3-D twenty years later as HOUSE OF WAX) and DOCTOR X.