Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

LOTR:TTT Extended Edition - Movie ticket in box?

Old 07-09-03, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I searched all over the forum for this question, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I'm sorry if it's already been answered - I tried.

I have an amazon gift certificate that is about to expire, and was thinking about pre-ordering LOTR:TTT extended edition.

Anyone know if a movie ticket for the final installment is going to be included in this one as well, like they did for the first extended edition DVD?

Much appreciated. If it's not included, I might just wait for a better deal and use my GC on something else.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-03, 01:15 PM

it's not like you won't pony up the cash to see it if it doesn't come with a free ticket, so whats the big deal, it would be nice though, I used the free ticket last time
Old 07-09-03, 01:16 PM

of course I'm going to see it either way, but I would love it if the ticket was in the box.. and i can usually find the box for cheaper then I can at amazon!

I take it this hasn't been announced yet?
Old 07-09-03, 02:21 PM
Banned

I hope so. It'll make it look like I'm only paying 20 dollars for the EE.
Old 07-09-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I guess it will be based on the redemption rates from last year's release. If the redemption rate was above 50% I'd be shocked if we see it again.

If I'm an exec making this decision I'm thinking two things:

1) Is that ticket going to be the difference in someone seeing the movie
2) Is a potential customer for the EE not going to make that purchase if a ticket is not included

I'd personally answer "No" to each.

But here's hopng that ticket IS included because it was the topper on an absolutely fantastic release last season.
Old 07-09-03, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by indianajdp
Well I guess it will be based on the redemption rates from last year's release. If the redemption rate was above 50% I'd be shocked if we see it again.

If I'm an exec making this decision I'm thinking two things:

1) Is that ticket going to be the difference in someone seeing the movie
2) Is a potential customer for the EE not going to make that purchase if a ticket is not included

I'd personally answer "No" to each.

But here's hopng that ticket IS included because it was the topper on an absolutely fantastic release last season.
...Uh okay.

I think they think more along the lines of "Can we convince people to buy this DVD if we include a free movie ticket."

They know half of the people are going to lose their free tickets, another huge chunk won't have a theatre they can redeem it at, and finally there will be a lot of people who just won't see it because they don't see the movie, they don't care, or they forget.

It's a smart ploy for them to include the free ticket, and I guarantee they will do it again this year.
Old 07-09-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the ticket is just a way to get you and a friend to the film. Here's how it works. the exec thinks. Ok, who goes to the movie alone? Nobody. Everyone, evern the most nerdiest guy takes a friend. so give them one ticket free and the other person has to pay. you get more of a profit that way. besides, it's just a way to fluff up the opening weekend box office since they already paid for your way in and made sure they have a certain % box office intake.

Yes, I'm sure there will be one in it for the above reasons.
Old 07-10-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm almost positive that New Line will include a ticket. They haven't spared any expense thus far with either the theatrical release or the home releases, and I don't expect them to cheap out on us. ROTK is guaranteed to make money at the box office, and New Line expects that everybody who went and saw the last movie to see this one, so why now include a ticet? It can't hurt. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm going to have say New Line will throw in a ticket. This series is their baby, they know they have a lot of loyal fans, and they are banking big time off it right now. Can't wait for this set in November
Old 07-10-03, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Ok, who goes to the movie alone? Nobody. Everyone, evern the most nerdiest guy takes a friend.
Actually sometimes I love going to the movies alone, and I'm sure I'm not the "nerdiest" guy around either. Really whats the point of going with somebody no matter what - you would watch a movie at home by yourself - anyways - it would be nice to have the free ticket in the box.
Old 07-10-03, 10:29 AM

If they do the free ticket, I hope they have a longer valid window to use it. Last year, the thing expired on 12/31. Since the film opened around 12/19, that meant you had to see it between Christmas and New Year's. Kind of a hassle to squeeze that in if you have family obligations.

Of course, they may have been betting on that as well, since it would limit the number of tickets that actually got redeemed.
Old 07-10-03, 12:02 PM

Ok, so it seems most people think it will be in there.

I assumed it would, not so much as an incentive to see the 3rd movie - which I think is a given. But more of an incentive to buy BOTH DVD's - the regular, and the extended version.

Most people will want it first thing when it comes out on DVD.. buying the extended version is so much easier when you know it's got a movie ticket in it as well..

I guess I'll go ahead and order it.. then cross my fingers.
Old 07-10-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
I bet they'll include the ticket, the thinking goes like this: We give Fan X a ticket to see ROTK, Fan X, not wanting to go alone, drags Fans Y and Z with him to the movie. By giving out one ticket to Fan X, New Line has sold two tickets.

Of course, I went with a group who all had tickets, and I'm sure some people have no problem seeing it alone.
Old 07-10-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
the ticket is just a way to get you and a friend to the film. Here's how it works. the exec thinks. Ok, who goes to the movie alone? Nobody. Everyone, evern the most nerdiest guy takes a friend. so give them one ticket free and the other person has to pay. you get more of a profit that way. besides, it's just a way to fluff up the opening weekend box office since they already paid for your way in and made sure they have a certain % box office intake.

Yes, I'm sure there will be one in it for the above reasons.
No wonder those tickets are not valid here in PR! I prefer to go to see a movie alone.

But I see your reasoning. Just wish those damned tickets would be redeemed here!
Old 07-10-03, 03:42 PM
Suspended

IMO i would be happy to get a ticket in the extended edition. I mean yes you have to purchase another one, but without the first you would have purchased two. Either way I'll be there ticket in the EE or not.