Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Basic

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review Wanted: Basic

This movie just came out today on DVD. Did anybody get it yet?.
Old 07-08-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it at the theater and thought it was a good "Who Done it" military movie.

Bunch of friends of mine saw it together and we are going to see it on DVD to check out little details throughout the movie.

I cannont comment on the quality of the DVD, but the story was not bad.
Old 07-08-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just found a review of the dvd on dvdfile.com

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...o_6/basic.html

They did not like the movie as much as I did.

Video: How Does The Disc Look?

The film's theatrical aspect ratio of 2.40:1 is presented in anamorphic video. This is a very fine transfer from Columbia TriStar. Halos are suppressed and even though they are sometimes visible, they never intrude. This is a very dark film; almost all of the action takes place at night. So shadow detail must be very fine to see what's going on; it is. Color accuracy is excellent with skin tones that are usually quite natural but sometimes lean toward pink. Saturated colors are vivid and noise free. Small object detail and fine textures are well above average. I noticed no compression artifacts like mosquito noise or blocking.

Audio: How Does The Disc Sound

The Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track is great. From the moment you see the Intermedia ocean wave logo with its intense, rumbling bass, it's clear that you're in for a sonic treat. The soundtrack has great dynamic range and attack time; gunshots have a visceral impact. The surround channels are extremely active. Enveloping rain, gunfire, helicopter flybys... this is a very aggressive mix. The surround sounds decode perfectly with EX processing, both for directional and distributed cues. Surround field imaging is greatly enhanced with the center surround active. Thanks to the wonderfully deep, tight bass, thunder and the supersonic blade tip thumps of a Huey helicopter are very realistic, and a loud turboprop aircraft engine is the most convincing I've heard on DVD. Klaus Badelt's score is reproduced with great presence. The dialog remains crystal clear throughout without a hint of the raspiness that sometimes occurs with the lossy compression of Dolby Digital. A very fine audio track.
Old 07-08-03, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's another one:

http://www.jackasscritics.com/movie.php?movie_key=216
Old 08-17-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
From an audio/video standpoint, the movie was great. My problem with the movie was that it was too confusing and kept on changing what the they told the viewer about reality way too many times. I felt my chain getting yanked too many times. It's worth a rental, maybe...if you really like Travolta.