Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden... Metallica... and mp3s...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Taken from Blabbermouth.net:

IRON MAIDEN frontman Bruce Dickinson wants to make it clear that he does not share METALLICA's attitude with respect to illegal music downloading.

Performing with IRON MAIDEN at Oslo Spectrum last Wednesday (July 2), Dickinson made a deal with the 17,000 Norwegian MAIDEN fans in attendance before he sang the as-yet-unreleased song "Wildest Dreams" from the group's upcoming CD, "Dance of Death" (due on Sept. 9), reports Jan Thoresen of the Oslo newspaper Dagbladet.

"The album is not out yet, but please pull out your small digital recorders, MP3 players, cell phones or whatever you have. Put it on the Internet, spread it all over the world. But on one condition: When you hear the new album, if you like it, pay the equivalent of three beers to buy the record in the store. That is what keeps us alive. If you don't like the album, just forget it," Dickinson said, and the crowd went wild.

"We are not like METALLICA," he added.

In 2000 METALLICA sued the Napster file-sharing service for copyright infringement and delivered to the now-defunct company the names of more than 300,000 users — "fans" by another name — whom they accused of illegally making METALLICA songs available over the network. Facing an absolute public relations debacle, METALLICA eventually relented and withdrew the suit. Now fans who possess an access code from the insert to METALLICA's new CD, "St. Anger", can download high-quality MP3s of live METALLICA recordings and do whatever they want with them: burn them to CD, share them over the networks like Kazaa, and in general, "kick ass" in an unrestricted manner.
-k
###
Old 07-08-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool of Iron Maiden. they atleast realize that the public is fans and would buy the album if it's what they like.
Old 07-08-03, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"THE Bruce Dickinson?"

That's cool. The people who paid to see them in concert have already made the largest monetary contribution to their success, so treat them with respect. If the songs are any good, getting live versions of them out to the public can be a great promotion tool.

das
Old 07-08-03, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another way that Iron Maiden isn't like Metallica.

Someone asked James Hetfield why Metallica doesn't do songs like the ones from Master of Puppets anymore. James said that the band was getting older, and couldn't do those songs anymore.

Allow me to point out that the guys in Maiden are older than the guys in Metallica, they've been together longer than Metallica, and they rock just has hard as they did in the 80's, and much harder than anything Metallica has spewed out in over a decade (and that includes the crappy St. Anger cd.)
Old 07-08-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, someone gets it. You can't fight it but you can use it to your benefit.
Old 07-08-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by JestersTear
Someone asked James Hetfield why Metallica doesn't do songs like the ones from Master of Puppets anymore. James said that the band was getting older, and couldn't do those songs anymore.
Yet I heard on the radio this morning that on the current tour, they're only playing St. Anger and Frantic from the new "album". The rest of the show is heavily weighted towards older stuff like Creeping Death, Master of Puppets, and Sanitarium.
Old 07-08-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
I don't do downloading but to Bruce and the Boys.

Although I understand where Metallica is coming from they SCREWED UP royally in how they handled things.

I got my tickets for at least one of their shows here in So Cal in August . I will NOT be attending Metallica's show...I have no probelm giving Maiden my money because I know they'll deliver.

Maiden doesn't release half assed albums.
Old 07-08-03, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jason
Yet I heard on the radio this morning that on the current tour, they're only playing St. Anger and Frantic from the new "album". The rest of the show is heavily weighted towards older stuff like Creeping Death, Master of Puppets, and Sanitarium.
I heard the same thing from a friend that went to the Summer Sanitarium show. 2 songs from St Anger, 2 songs from Load / Reload, no Garage Days, and everything else is Justice and before.

Very amazing.

However... they might be doing the old songs, but they're apparently not able to do newer songs of that style.
Old 07-08-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Iron Maiden
Old 07-08-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason
I think JestersTear (or actually, James Hetfield) is trying to say that Metallica are older, that they can't write that style of music anymore, not that they can't play the old tunes anymore.

Must find a way to say "anymore" again in this post. I guess thats it, I won't say "anymore" anymore.
Old 07-09-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
very cool \m/
Old 07-09-03, 04:10 PM

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They can still bite me for never touring the southeast, I haven't seen them since the Ed Hunter tour.
Old 07-09-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
They can still bite me for never touring the southeast, I haven't seen them since the Ed Hunter tour.

how weird.

IIRC, from what I understand Nikko and his wife live out in Florida.
Old 07-10-03, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
how weird.

IIRC, from what I understand Nikko and his wife live out in Florida.
Yep, Nicko and his family live near Boca Raton, I think. As for Maiden, well, let's just say that I love them
Old 07-10-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
how weird.
In fact, I had to fly up to Detroit to even see them on that tour. You'd be surprised at how many groups avoid Atlanta, much less Florida. I don't like it.
Old 07-11-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im seein Maiden August 2nd in Montral with Motorhead and Dio.!!!!
Old 07-12-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Iron Maiden is still the best - and they "get it."

I've got my ticket and I'm gonna see them in August at (the former) Irvine Meadows. Maiden and Dio on the same bill? Too cool - and add Motorhead? No self respecting Heavy Metal fan would miss that!