Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Princess Diana is back --- as a mutant!!!

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was tempted to put this in the Other forum where more would see it, so if a moderator thinks it belongs there, feel free to move it.

This sounded like a terrible idea until I read the article and realized that this would be happening in the pages of "X-Statix". Now I can't wait!

Di's back - as a mutant
July 8 2003

Princess Diana will be reincarnated as a mutant comic book superhero this autumn, according to publisher Marvel Comics.

The character will appear in a five-series storyline called "Di Another Day" in Marvel's X-Statix monthly comic, a spinoff from its popular X-Men, Marvel spokesman Brian Reinert said today.

The first of the comic books will go on sale on September 10.

Di appears as one of the team of super-powered mutants in a satirical look at fame and pop culture, Reinert said.

"They're more concerned about their bank accounts than saving people from injuries and saving the world," he said.

X-Statix writer Peter Milligan said the late princess was "tailor-made" for the series because she is "someone famous for being famous".

"At a glance, Diana may not resemble the flying, teleporting, lethally oscillating characters that populate my comic, but the strange power she exerts from beyond the grave certainly makes her a valid subject to explore," Milligan said in a statement issued by Marvel. "And, of course, she looks great in Spandex!"

A Buckingham Palace spokesman has called the idea "utterly appalling" and a "cheap attempt to cash in on Diana's fame and the tragic circumstances surrounding her death".

- Reuters
Old 07-07-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horrible idea. Let the dead rest in peace...especially somebody who gave us much as Diana did.

Old 07-08-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they wanted somebody famous for being famous, why didn't he go after the hilton sisters? Leave Princess Di alone.
Old 07-08-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a joke right?

Right?

No really, its a joke right?

Wonder if she will team up with JFK jr at some point.
Old 07-08-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-08-03, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
No, it's the real deal.

Here are the covers and solicitation copy from PREVIEWS:

X-STATIX #13 & 14
Written by PETER MILLIGAN
Covers and Pencils by MIKE ALLRED

"DI ANOTHER DAY" Pt. 1 & 2 (of 5)

She's back! Everyone's favorite Royal, PRINCESS DIANA, is back from the dead and on her comeback tour ... and it's up to X-Statix to keep her alive ... again! Can our mutant super-team protect Di from a nasty crew of mutant Euro-trash dead set on her sending her back where she came from? Can the fame-hungry crew possibly stand taking a backseat to Ms. Spencer's white-hot celebrity? And where does a certain wall-crawling super-hero fit into all of this?

32 PGS. (each)/MARVEL PG ... $2.99 (each)
Old 07-08-03, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Di Another Day? Seems like they might have a legal suit on their hands from the James Bond folks.

Old 07-08-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I think it's "Ballsy" .
Old 07-08-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
You can't copywrite a title, so they won't have any problem with the James Bond people, unless they make it too much like a Bond movie. Also, it's clearly parody, so they're safe.

Anyone who is shocked by this has never read a Peter Milligan comic, he'll handle this well.
Old 07-08-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was surprised when I read the advance text, but since I read X-Statix monthly, I can't wait to see how Milligan pulls it off...
Old 07-09-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been a fan of X-Statix for a while, and while a lot of people find this "shocking" I for one can't wait to read it. X-Statix has always been a parody of society, so it should be interesting to see what happens with Di this time around.
Old 07-09-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
In Shade the Changing Man, Milligan did stories that revolved around JFK, Elvis and Jim Morrison, Princess Di seems right in line with his style.
Old 07-09-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I've been a fan of X-Statix for a while, and while a lot of people find this "shocking" I for one can't wait to read it. X-Statix has always been a parody of society, so it should be interesting to see what happens with Di this time around.
I've done some research on it and now I get what its about. At first I didn't know what X-Statix was about, but after finding out this seems like a perfect topic for it.
Old 07-11-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
It's all off now:

www.newsarama.com
According to Business Wire, Marvel has chosen to remove all references to Princess Diana from the upcoming X-Statix storyline in which she was slated to return from the dead.

The storyline, "Di Another Day," was slated to begin in issue #13 of the series, set to ship in September.

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...821#post104821
Old 07-11-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Marvel Editor in Chief Joe Quesada says:

"If comics are anything we're subversive, you know? I think we work the best once when we're on that level. This is really a wonderful story by Pete Milligan and I don't want to give away anything."

So he likes subversive comics, but not enough to actually print them if it ruffles a couple feathers????????

jim
Old 07-11-03, 08:10 PM

When I first heard about it, I also thought it was pretty tasteless, but in the hands of Milligan in X-Statix, it could've been quite interesting & good. I'm actually quite upset now that I won't get to read it.