Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Best DVD collection site

Best DVD collection site

Old 07-07-03, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best DVD collection site

I've tried DVDaficionado but they are missing several Hong Kong DVDs, and DVD Profiler is a pain in the ass to use. Is there anything better out there?
Old 07-07-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.guzzlefish.com
Old 07-07-03, 05:51 PM

I tried that one as well. They don't have a single HKL DVD listed there.
Old 07-07-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

guzzlefish takes AGES to add any tiles not already in their database, but I like them pretty well overall... second choice would be dvdprofiler, though I think it is really very simple to use
Old 07-07-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are a prefered user at dvdaf...or become one...turnaround time for adding new titles is within 12 to 24 hours...if that. I donate to the site on a regular basis...so they treat me pretty good. they have alot already in the dvdbank however....including
alot of imports. I use dvdaf because it's simple. I dont need all that other detailed info. a simple site for a simple man.
Old 07-07-03, 06:52 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
www.guzzlefish.com
Guzzlefish is practically useless for anyone that doesn't only collect R1 DVDs. I tried to use it, but got frustrated when I realized I couldn't include significant portions of my collection.
Old 07-07-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use DVDAficionado and DVDTracker. One thing I like about DVDTracker is that you can instantly add titles to your collection that aren't in their database. Of course, the $10 annual fee is a downside, but for me, it's definitely worth it.

Rob
Old 07-07-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RobCA
One thing I like about DVDTracker is that you can instantly add titles to your collection that aren't in their database.

Rob
I've been thinking about adding my collection there. I like the looks of the site, maybe when I have a little more time during my slow season. I also want to add my YMDB...just need time. I like the way you have all 3....looks good.
Old 07-07-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Best DVD collection site

Originally posted by Prancetron2000
I've tried DVDaficionado but they are missing several Hong Kong DVDs, and DVD Profiler is a pain in the ass to use. Is there anything better out there?
Yes...although i use DVDaficionado it isn't a true representation of my collection as i have in excess of 50 DVD's that are R2 Japanese and French releases which simply aren't listed.
Old 07-07-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I've been thinking about adding my collection there. I like the looks of the site, maybe when I have a little more time during my slow season. I also want to add my YMDB...just need time. I like the way you have all 3....looks good.
Thanks! I like using both DVDAf and DVDTracker because each has features the other doesn't. Plus, if one crashed or something, I'd still have the other one.

Rob
Old 07-07-03, 07:44 PM
Banned

My only qualm with DVDProfiler for us 56kers, are the slow loading times and bulky software. Otherwise, it's unfortunate that out of my meager 230+ DVDs, 30 of them scan into the software, but do not show up on their website listing. No idea what that's about. At least the customizable reports that Profiler offers can be useful. For instance, one simple report gave me a nice UPC code layout. So, it made it a heck of a lot easier to get everything into Guzzlefish.

Presentation
Usefulness
Accuracy/Representation
Fun Factor

Guzzlefish spits out some fun and sometimes, interesting stats. I like the layout over there as well. The secondary film pages offer slightly more info that Profiler. The only thing though, for some reason, DVDs with UPC codes similar to 24543-"x" do not pull. You have to search by title or some other option in most cases.

Presentation
****1/2
Usefulness
Accuracy/Representation
***1/2 (Couldn't get my box set of Planet of the Apes on - then again, that may just be me .... )
Fun Factor
****1/2

Aficianado is ok .. not too much to say on them. The load time is again slow for 56kers.

Overall Impression
***1/2
Old 07-07-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by KWilliamTaylor
Otherwise, it's unfortunate that out of my meager 230+ DVDs, 30 of them scan into the software, but do not show up on their website listing. No idea what that's about.
Tools - Options - Parental Control - Allow Adult Titles.

DVDProfiler considers any unrated title an adult title.
Old 07-07-03, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by imp66
Tools - Options - Parental Control - Allow Adult Titles.

DVDProfiler considers any unrated title an adult title.
Thanks for the info .. but I had already considered this.

However, I just rechecked the web and software settings one more time and the "allow adult" options are green lit all over. Not sure .. perhaps I need to retoggle the switching and reupload my collection. ...
Old 07-07-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDaf is far better than anything i've seen out here. Profiler is just ugly to me. Guzzlefish has some nice stats, but it doesn't automatically show the cover art and you can't leave comments like you can on DVDaf. But it's just me.
Old 07-08-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use dvdaf because it's simple. I dont need all that other detailed info. a simple site for a simple man.
Amen to that... same here.
Old 07-08-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDAf is great. Nice, simple & no-nonsense. However, I wish there was a way to split up listings into multiple pages instead of one huge page. I have a fairly large collection (1300+) and it takes a while to load up, even before the images start to download. And thats with DSL, I don't even want to know what it's like on dialup.
Old 07-08-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by matome
DVDAf is great. Nice, simple & no-nonsense. However, I wish there was a way to split up listings into multiple pages instead of one huge page.
There is! I use subfolders, and the pages load MUCH quicker.

Go to "My DVDs", on the left, click on Folder Hierarchy. You can set up whatever subfolders you want, and then move titles from your collection into those folders.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 07-08-03 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 06:10 PM

if you are a prefered user at dvdaf...or become one...turnaround time for adding new titles is within 12 to 24 hours...if that
I second this. In my experience, as long as I got off my lazy ass and actually contribute, they incorporate the contribution very quickly compared to the other collection tracking site. Another nice thing is you get to check on the status of your submission. If it's denied, they'll actually tell you the reason why.

DVDProfiler discourages me from making any more contributions. The first few ones I made didn't seem to take and fall into a black hole. The app feels bloated and it has some annoying bugs. I keep using it though so that says something about the app.