Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

[Eminem] Shady Records upcoming 411

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-07-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Eminem at Work on Shady's Future

Songwriter Luis Resto, with whom Eminem and Jeff Bass shared an Oscar this year for "Lose Yourself," tells Billboard that when Mathers is in Detroit, " and I work together every day.
We're writing for artists on Shady Records: Obie Trice and D12 and after that, it will be Eminem again." Resto continues, "A lot of the time we're writing for all three projects. You go in and you're jamming, doing music, and it gets spread here and there. Some stuff goes to Em, some to Obie and some to other artists. We sit down and write and we parcel it out. Marshall takes home CDs and he listens to them, some things intrigue him, some things not as much -- you just keep backlogging the ideas and see what comes of it."

Trice's Shady Records/Interscope debut is set for a September release, while street dates for D12 and Eminem have yet to be set.

An Interscope Records representative says Eminem's album will not come out until 2004. Reuters/Billboard
Old 07-07-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there anyone who hopes that Em doesn't talk about himself and his problems again?

I know that's part of his mystique, but it seems to me that he's had three albums of that by now... I'm wondering if he can do something a bit different. I think he could put out an album of some social commentary (a la Public Enemy) and be successful with it.
Old 07-07-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
word.

but, after two albums, I hardly think it's "mystique"...
Old 07-07-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Obie Trices stuff I can't wait till September, gonna be a dope album.

I think Eminem will come hard agian, last couple of guest appearences have been pretty good.
Old 07-07-03, 11:31 PM

The sooner he disappears up his own arse the better. The man is so boring and repetitive.
Old 07-07-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by redhenry
The sooner he disappears up his own arse the better. The man is so boring and repetitive.
Whats repetitive about him?
Old 07-07-03, 11:38 PM
Banned

So this Luis Resto and Jeff Bass are also responsible for the taletless crap spewed forth by this clown? I thought everyone always defended him saying he wrote his own stuff? Don't know if this is better or worse for Slim.

I can see him fading as we speak. Bye bye em. Have fun hanging out with the Backstreet Boys.
Old 07-08-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am pretty sure that the lyrics are WROTE by Eminem.
And the music was composed by all three.
Originally posted by Bust

I can see him fading as we speak. Bye bye em. Have fun hanging out with the Backstreet Boys.
I don't see him fading, he won't sell as many albums as Marshall Mathers cd, but he helped 50 Cent (Eminems name associated with him) sell a WHOLE lot albums. If he does his forumula for albums he will easliy sell 4+ million.

Last edited by SnoopDogg; 07-08-03 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-08-03, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
Eminem is extremely repetitive; it's hard to argue against that. He talks about his upbringing (esp. with regards to his mom), whichever politician's wife recently denounced him, the artists he dislikes, and there's always something about drugs on there...

I respect his lyrical talent but ever since I heard the Slim Shady LP (after having previously heard Infinite), I've thought that he's lacking in the topic pool, which is a big reason why I think he starts a lot of the stuff he does. Just to have another thing to talk about on the next track.

Most respectable artists don't do this (start beef just so they can talk about it), which is why i think those who recognize his talent but also recognize his desperate need for something relevant to say think he should sit down and find something he really cares about (political?) and write about that.
Old 07-08-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well said thismeansyou85
I don't see him fading, he won't sell as many albums as Marshall Mathers cd, but he helped 50 Cent (Eminems name associated with him) sell a WHOLE lot albums. If he does his forumula for albums he will easliy sell 4+ million.
Are you sure it was Em that helped him and not Dre's beats? Though, i'm willing to concede that it was a combo of both...but, i'm still curious..what happens to both if Dre took his beats away?
Old 07-08-03, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rogue588
what happens to both if Dre took his beats away?
Emi-who?

I'm not going to be super-in-your-face about this like I want to be, but you better believe a couple years from now, when everyone has forgotten about this tool, I will be back to tell you I told you so.
Old 07-08-03, 08:14 AM
Banned

So this Luis Resto and Jeff Bass are also responsible for the taletless crap spewed forth by this clown? I thought everyone always defended him saying he wrote his own stuff? Don't know if this is better or worse for Slim.

Snicker... I love reading this stuff.

The greats in his field talk about the amazing talent for pace and rhyme the guy has. You don't see that happen with the Backstreet Boys, do you?

Elton John - a legend in music that doesn't need any controversy or media appearances to boost his career - jumped at the chance to work with him because of how talented Elton thought he was.

I think you need to learn the difference between "untalented" and "I don't like him."
Old 07-08-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
well said thismeansyou85Are you sure it was Em that helped him and not Dre's beats? Though, i'm willing to concede that it was a combo of both...but, i'm still curious..what happens to both if Dre took his beats away?
Yes, I believe that Dre put him on with his beats, but considering that Dre is only doing about 3-5 of them on his last cd. Em is doing most of the work, and still selling huge amounts of records.

Bust what has Eminem done so bad to you, to make you hate him? Ha...

Last edited by SnoopDogg; 07-08-03 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-09-03, 11:41 PM

So many things....mainly the vibe of his material..and the subject matter.

throw in that all the 'songs' really do sound essentially alike.

When an artist can't sing and therefore has to rap, there is not the same range of expression.

T
Old 07-10-03, 12:09 AM
Banned

Bust what has Eminem done so bad to you, to make you hate him? Ha...
Since when does someone have to do something to me for them to suck?
Old 07-10-03, 01:29 AM

Since when does someone have to do something to me for them to suck?
Good point. Eminem has not offended me either (even though he is/was homophobic) and I don't hate him or anything..I just think he is boring..like so many other one dimensional acts that are too numerous to mention.
Old 07-10-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

but he's got PHAT BEATS
Old 07-10-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Em aint going no where especially once Trice hits the streets,he's got 50 Cent also who is really hot right now with 5+ million,he's got D-12 also.

Alot of you haters are talking about ems albums but you all need to get his underground stuff,its just as good as his stuff he releases if not better,Em has to much talent right now to fall off,it wont happen anytime soon.

Em writes his own music/lyrics unlike the Backstreet Boys,so that should tell you that he wont fall off like them.
Old 07-10-03, 12:10 PM

When an artist can't sing and therefore has to rap, there is not the same range of expression.

I love this mentality - people think rappers rap because they can't sing!

Can we not understand that rapping is a separate style, not used as a fallback for those who wish they could sing but can't, but used because it's extremely rhythmic.

Many rappers could sing (and do from time to time), but they choose to tell their story through rap. Hell, even if they did have bad voices, why wouldn't they sing if they wanted to? It doesn't stop the rockers and heavy metal artists...
Old 07-10-03, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by thismeansyou85

I love this mentality - people think rappers rap because they can't sing!

Can we not understand that rapping is a separate style, not used as a fallback for those who wish they could sing but can't, but used because it's extremely rhythmic.

Many rappers could sing (and do from time to time), but they choose to tell their story through rap. Hell, even if they did have bad voices, why wouldn't they sing if they wanted to? It doesn't stop the rockers and heavy metal artists...
I have never heard eminem sing! I have heard him rap plenty;
ergo - he is not a singer to my ears.

Whether he CAN sing or not is not my point - the fact is he DOESN'T!!!

I sing (actual melodies, with harmonies etc) in a band - does that make me a rapper? Of course not.

Horses for courses! Eminem may be able to sing, but i have not heard him do it, therefore I am NOT going to consider him a singer! He RAPS therefore he is a rapper!!!!

Rap does NOT afford and an artist the same ability to express as far as I am concerned. It is poetry to a beat, but it is NOT singing.

T
Old 07-10-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sing (actual melodies, with harmonies etc) in a band - does that make me a rapper? Of course not.

Horses for courses! Eminem may be able to sing, but i have not heard him do it, therefore I am NOT going to consider him a singer! He RAPS therefore he is a rapper!!!!

Rap does NOT afford and an artist the same ability to express as far as I am concerned. It is poetry to a beat, but it is NOT singing.

T
He does sing in Hailie Song.
Old 07-11-03, 12:58 AM

T
When an artist can't sing and therefore has to rap...

Whether he CAN or sing or not was part of your point...

This statement says that rappers have to rap because they can't sing, no? Rappers rap because they want to. Some can sing, some can't. But It's not "because an artist can't sing" that they rap.

I think poetry, rap, and singing all afford an equal opportunity to express. The effect all depends on the artist's mastery of the medium.
Old 07-11-03, 02:09 AM

Old 07-11-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rap does NOT afford and an artist the same ability to express as far as I am concerned.
Actually I can agree with that, in terms of emotion; too bad the prevalent "emotion" nowadays is angst. But rap allows for much more clever word play, and allows the artist to say a whole lot more in the span of 4 minutes. And rappers still have to be even more careful that their words flow well with the music.
Old 10-11-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
update: D12

D12 have entered the studio to record their second album, Devil's Night II: Halloween. The Detroit rap ensemble will release the set in February 2004.

The Dirty Dozen's most visible member, Eminem, will handle some production duties on the record, along with fellow D12'er Kon Artis (Proof, Bizarre, Swift and Kuniva round out D12's lineup). The group has also enlisted the golden touch of producer Kanye West (DMX, Jay-Z).

from [RAPNEWSDIRECT.com]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.