Community
Search

2 Early John Sayles Films coming 9/16!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2 Early John Sayles Films coming 9/16!

Just thought I'd give a heads up that two of John Sayles earlier films are finally coming to dvd from MGM on September 16th:

Lianna

Return of the Secaucus Seven

Both are $19.95 msrp, anamorphic widescreen and INCLUDE COMMENTARIES BY SAYLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh happy day

Now if we could only get City of Hope and rereleases of Matewan and Brother from Another Planet - the current ones are complete travesties.....
Old 07-07-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 great films,

but. also coming is:

brother from another planet. w/ commentary

another great film.

there is a widescreen version of "matewan" available in canada.
Old 07-07-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: 2 Early John Sayles Films coming 9/16!

Originally posted by brizz

Now if we could only get City of Hope

I agree with everything you wrote, but THIS above all.
Old 07-07-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

how is that Matewan release in Canada Sunday? I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it's decent.....

Edit: Just checked, and amazon.ca has it for preorder , but they don't list any specs.....anyone know anything more of this? They list "Behaviour Distrib." as the studio....but i've never even heard of them.

And do you have any more info on the Brother From Another Planet that's coming?

Last edited by HistoryProf; 07-07-03 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-07-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well I guess all we need now is City of Hope what a truly great day to find out all four are coming remasterd and with commentaries.....i'm turgid with excitement Does anyone know when Matewan and BFAP are expected out?

On the eve of the theatrical premiere of his film Sunshine State, distributed by Sony Classics, pioneer independent filmmaker John Sayles has completed commentary tracks for a quartet of his earliest films: Return of the Secaucus 7 (1980), Lianna (1983), The Brother From Another Planet (1984) and Matewan (1987).

The films are part of a retrospective national theatrical tour presented by IFC Films. Each has been fully restored by Sayles’ company, Anarchists Convention, in consultation with the preservationists of the UCLA Film and Television Archive.

On recording commentaries, Sayles said he has “done yack sessions” before, most notably alongside producer Roger Corman on New Concorde’s Battle Beyond the Stars (1980), which he wrote, and on his own Limbo (1999), which was released by Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment.

“I do a lot of free association on commentary tracks,” said Sayles, adding that since he edited three of the four debuting titles (the exception being Matewan), he

knows each film backward and forward. “The stuff in the films that I didn’t like then, I continue to dislike now, and that hasn’t changed. But I still like the performances.”

Secaucus 7, Lianna, Brother and Matewan are tentatively scheduled to be released on DVD by MGM Home Entertainment in 2003.

http://www.videopremiereawards.com/H...ewsSayles.html
Old 09-27-03, 12:51 AM
Cool New Member

My copies of the 9/16 releases are on their way... can't wait!

But what happened to the new edition of Matewan? Shouldn't it have come out with the other three MGM discs?
Old 09-27-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Brother From ANother Planet - now I can finally junk the VHS copy of this!

The movie still works after all these years, and the commentary track is excellent. Love Sayles' references to the "$1.99 special effects", and seeing Dee Dee Bridgewater, one of our best jazz singers, in a rare acting performance.
Old 09-28-03, 05:01 AM

I'll be happy if they ever release a decent version of 8 Men Out with "some" extras. I'm not even asking for a 2 disc special edition, but something extra would be nice.