criterion question

Community
Search

criterion question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-03, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
criterion question

Ok, this probably sounds extremely stupid, but can someone please explain the whole criterion thing to me... Say there's a movie that I wanted, would i want to fork up the 35 bucks to get the criterion edition?
Old 07-06-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on the movie, and how much you like the movie.
Old 07-06-03, 11:19 PM
Banned

I wouldn't. No movie alone is worth 45-55 dollars.

If these guys actually cared about the the cinema, they'd keep their discs in print and at lower MSRPs.
Old 07-06-03, 11:36 PM

so the criterion editions just have more features?
Old 07-06-03, 11:39 PM

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/browse.asp?sort=spine

The Criterion Collection contains some of the best films ever made. With a Criterion disc, you're virtually assured the best DVD version of a great film.

If you want to own a movie that's available in the Criterion Collection, Criterion is the way to go. Instead of spending $8 for 3 OK movies that you don't really need through columbia house, you can get a superb copy of a great film. A good way to save a few bucks (10%) on criterions is to use the Share The Love subforum in DVD bargains.

Of the 215 discs in the collection, I count 14 that are OOP, all because of rights issues that are out of their control. Not bad!
Old 07-06-03, 11:39 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Eh, you might want to fork it over, you might not.

The reason these discs are so expensive is because Criterion is a small company, dealing with material that isn't exactly peanuts to obtain in the best condition, treating said material as a jewel, not being able to reach a large market, and having no other method income.

That said, I'd happily spend $40 on a two-disc 8 1/2, because its worth every penny (I did, btw, and still consider it the best DVD purchase I've ever made in a retail store). As far as what these DVDs have, Criterion is a miracle. But, would you spend that $40? It depends on the person, how much you like the movie, and how much you're willing to spend.

Some of their early discs are mediocre (Salo, the Samurai Trilogy) or way too expensive (Amarcord, High and Low, Great Expectations), many are in dire need of remastering (Seven Samurai, Red Shoes, M, the non-anamorphic titles such as Yojimbo and Andrei Rublev) while a few, like Grand Illusion, Seventh Seal, Rushmore and The Passion of Joan of Arc, stand the test of time most graciously. Discs from 2000 and 2001 tend to be of relatively high quality (especially 8 1/2, Rebecca, Sullivan's Travels, and Discreet Charm), and discs from this and the past year are simply top-knotch, and even the $30 discs can have a fat bounty of special features (case in point: Pepe le Moko, Band of Outsiders, and the recent Il Posto).

But its silly to buy these things at full price when tons of online stores have such tender, juicy, delicious discounts. I only buy Criterions at retail when I get, say, a Media Play gift card.

My advice: order online.
Old 07-06-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 07-07-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Revoltor
As if that was the average retail price of a Criterion. Hell, even the special editions go for $36 at Borders, and Borders is expensive. Don't know where you're shoppin'.
Old 07-07-03, 12:10 AM

k thks, I appreciate the advice.

wow matt sorry that my question has drove you to to put a gun to your head, next time if it's such a burdon to you I would recommend not reading the thread.
Old 07-07-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only buy them from ddd.com or dvdplanet any more. Why pay $39.99 when you can get it online for $28.00? Found a lot of gems through the Criterion name. I have always been a die hard Horror fan but thanks to Criterion, as well as this forum, I have been moving into "Art" films.
Old 07-07-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I pay an average of about $25 for my Criterions even the special edition and yes great movies like Seven Samurai are worth $50.

People whining about the cost of Criterions would have loved the Laserdisc days when the Special Edition Criterions were over $100.
Old 07-07-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If these guys actually cared about the the cinema, they'd keep their discs in print and at lower MSRPs.
Wow, I'm sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about here.
Old 07-07-03, 01:50 AM
Banned

I see....a human being....who never.......bought laserdiscs.......
Old 07-07-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate those god damned overpriced Criterion DVD's!!!

That's why I only own 170 of them...
Old 07-07-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You get what you pay for, and with Criterion you often get even more.

If only every DVD release was given the same care that Criterion puts into their releases, there would be very little to ever complain about.
Old 07-07-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is your friend.

The reason why Matt and others are frustrated is because this subject seems to come up about every 12 hours. You might want to check the FAQ thread stickied to the top of this forum (which admittedly doesn't contain as much Criterion information as it should), then run a search. You'll come up with dozens of threads about Criterion.
Old 07-07-03, 06:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Read the New Members/Frequent Topics thread stickied to the top of the forum.
2. Do a search.
3. Yahoo/Google for Criterion.

Any one of these would have answered your question. This question has been beaten to death... just as you think it's not too much to ask people to stay out of your thread if they're not interested, it's just as easy to check out the FAQ. Closing.